996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2 kids died on my street today while street racing!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
there is a lot of people who will still drive without a liscence...so I agree that racers should go to jail

Old 10-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Blazin Civic is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Matt Fresh
The easiest way to stop this **** from happening is to majorly increase the penalties for street racing. If you were looking at 6 months to a year in jail for racing, people would think twice about it for sure. But a 3 month suspension of your license, and driving safety classes is a joke to most people.
I think the best bet is not to jail people if they don't kill anyone but take their cars for good. Hit them where it REALLY hurts. Spend all that time building a car only to lose it for doing something stupid. Also I think the time, place, and conditions should be taken into account here. Maybe just heavy fines and a license pull if it was done in say a closed industrial parking lot or a empty straight highway.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:50 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I must say that as soon as the F&F movie was over in the theater, I was itching to go out and drive fast and furious.
And I did. I was not only driving fast, but furious as hell.

Now If I crashed and killed myself or someone else, can I blame my act on the movie? No. But if someone had asked me if just seeing the movie had an effect on my driving behavior then I'd have to say YES. Before the movie, I was cruising to the theater. After the movie, I was on NOS.

A movie is like drug or alcohol. The visual impact can stimulate "some" people's mind and affect their rational behavior. Graphic display of speed can affect most male's mind. Graphic display of speed using young actors with $15k cars affect young people's mind even more so than say James Bond does in his $250k cars.

Movie makers are as much to blame or not to blame as philip morris or the drug dealer on the streets. The temptation and role models that they create is hard to ignore by feeble minded teenagers.

I like how some european countries do it. Young drivers are only allowed to drive mopeds with 50cc engines initially. A license to drive a car is granted later.

IMO, no one under 21 should be allowed to drive high HP cars. That includes some 18-19 yr olds on this board.
One way to enforce that is to make it illegal for insurance companies to insure them.

Oh, of course there are exceptions, people like Matt should still be barred from driving fast cars and drinking for a few more years.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by GL996TT
has anyone had street racing once in your lifetime?

I did..................but don't do it.
had street racing? eh?