996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bought OEM GT2 Wing Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Removing the wires/sensors from the rhs hydraulic strut works perfectly if you keep your TT decklid, if you switch to a GT2 decklid then you need to do something else like the aerokit wiring harness or one of the other solutions

Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I agree with RichardCH because I had no CELs whatsoever for 2+ years until I removed my factory wing motor and hydraulic lines. It must be looking for that power or ground connection to the wing motor itself, since now I do get CELs. When I had the wing in the lowered position (but with the motor and hydraulics intact), I never had any CELs.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Removing the wires/sensors from the rhs hydraulic strut works perfectly if you keep your TT decklid, if you switch to a GT2 decklid then you need to do something else like the aerokit wiring harness or one of the other solutions
Richard,

I don't follow you...In my case and many others that I am aware of, we switched to a non active rear decklid (aerokit or GT2), removed the wire to the OEM hydraulics and tucked it under the plastic liner of the new deck lid - basically just hanging in there in a plastic bag taped on at the end.

At first, I had the little spring loaded connector compressed and it triggered the light. Then I tried it non-compressed (loose - no contact) and it does not throw any codes at all. Others have done the same thing with the same results. In my case, there was no reason to purchase an aerokit wiring harness to avoid/prevent spoiler warning lights, as I achieved it with the OEM harness quite easily.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 03-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
John,

I can tell you that my microswitches are not depressed and my car still throws a CEL, but only after I removed the wing motor. What Richard is describing fits my case, whereas I was fine with the wiring just tucked aside before I removed the wing motor and disabled the system. I'm all ears if you have another troubleshooting exercise to try but, like I said, 2+ years with absolutely no problems and the only thing I've done since is physically unplug and remove the wing motor and hydraulic lines. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Steve,

Maybe I left the motor in! Where is it located? All I did was remove the decklid with the hydraulics and disconnect the wire to the pistons...I don't think I removed any motor, unless it's part of the decklid...if it's mounted to the decklid, then it's gone, too.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 PM
John,

I'm sure you did remove the motor if you changed decklids, which of course has me scratching my head right now. The motor lives under the cover that holds the stock fan, and has 2 hydraulic lines that come off the ends of it and connect to the bottom of the hydraulic ram assemblies on each side. So, if you don't have the stock decklid, then you certainly don't have the stock motor (I'd assume). The motor itself is held on with 4 nuts, which are visible from the underside of the decklid.

I'm definitely scratching my head over this one, since I'm sure my trouble with CELs only started when I removed the power/ground and hydraulic connectors, not the connectors that simply send the signal to move the wing up and down.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Steve,

It's been so long since I did it, I am having trouble remembering all the details, but I know the rectangular motor you are referring to - yes, that's gone now.

What CEL's are you getting? I seem to recall I got a spoiler warning light, not a CEL. Is that what you mean?

Also, look at this post by another member- looks like he did the same thing as I did, with the same results https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3289768

2022 Cayenne White
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Sorry, it's not a true CEL, just the wing failure message. I'll keep reading.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
What i do is press the manual up button of the spoiler so that the ecu sees it up all the time (pressure switch not depressed). I get a message sometimes but it goes away if i press the button and hold it for long enough and shut off the car and start it back.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Thumbs up

Subsribed! I recently just bought GT2 style ducklid. Thank everyone for valuable input!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
What i do is press the manual up button of the spoiler so that the ecu sees it up all the time (pressure switch not depressed). I get a message sometimes but it goes away if i press the button and hold it for long enough and shut off the car and start it back.
In my case it resets every time I turn off the car, but triggers every time I hit a sustained 75 mph. If I turn it off with the control stalk by acknowledging the error, it comes back after some time. It's just annoying, and since I'm used to not seeing it would love to figure out how to make it go away once and for all.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Sorry, it's not a true CEL, just the wing failure message. I'll keep reading.
That's odd Steve. I have both microswitches disconnected and taped up (uncompressed) and also have all the wiring disconnected from the hydraulic motor. FINALLY, you MUST disconnect the spoiler switch to the left of the radio in the dash. If you haven't done this and it gets accidentally pressed (when cleaning the interior for example) you will get the spoiler failure warning light. Have you disconnected this switch?