996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

H&r Coilover feedback requested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
H&r Coilover feedback requested

So I thought I had my mind made up on the FVD "custom" PSS-9s. They are a bit on the high end of what I wanted to spend, so I have kept my eye open. Tire rack offers a couple different H&R C/O setups for the TT and figured I would ask you guys for your opinions and recommendations.

H&R street performance Coilovers

H&R RSS Clubsport Coilovers

(both are the same price, but the clubsports are special order - tirerack doesnt state the difference between the two kits)

Can anyone provide me with firsthand expereince of any of these kits vs the "off the shelf" pss-9 or FVD pss-9?

My cost on these is roughly 600-700 dollars LESS than the best quote I could get from FVD. I'm trying to figure out if this significant price difference is because the hardware on the h&r product is not great for the 996tt, or because the billstein parts are just overpriced. Please post if you have firsthand experience with any of the kits, not if you are just speculating or repeating thngs that youve "heard". Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
What are you using the car for? Street use or track?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
my apologies. The intention is for an aggressively driven street car. The car will not see track time. Here in FL, we have relatively smooth/flat roads, so I would lean toward a setup that is considered to be "firm" rather than too "soft." I hope that helps.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
PSS9s are adjustable, don't know about H&R, but I believe they are not. Also, FVD PSS9s I think have custom valving which might be a plus. Check with Statman, I think he has the FVDs. Viper Bob sells PSS9s, he's in Tampa. The regular variety should be all you need for street.

Last edited by landjet; 05-01-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
PSS9s are adjustable, don't know about H&R, but I believe they are not. Also, FVD PSS9s I think have custom valving which might be a plus. Check with Statman, I think he has the FVDs. Viper Bob sells PSS9s, he's in Tampa. The regular variety should be all you need for street.
when you say "adjustable," what are you talking about? Ride height? rebound? etc? I would assume all coilovers are height adjustable.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Pss9s have height adjustments and also firmness adjustment, 1-9. I don't think H&Rs have the firmness adjustments. You might also consider JICs which have the height and firmness adjustability, but also offer different spring rate choices.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
i think champion sells h& r coil overs

Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
PSS9s and H&Rs are both very good for aggressive street driving. make sure to get sway bars too

Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
^ Agreed.

My 02 Carrera had PSS9s and my current car has H&Rs. Both feel great but I have driven neither that hard. Perhaps someone who has driven agressively with both sets can add some feedback for you.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
i find it strange that an overwhelming majority of the members on this forum run (or recommend) the bilstein pss-9 or pss-10 when the h&r kits are drastically cheaper. I was wondering if there was a reason why. Anyone have any insight into the standard h&r kit vs the "clubsport" version?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
PssX is much better. The install is expensive so pony up the extra dough and do it right. I also suggest an H&R rear bar only in the "middle" setting. Really tightens up the under-steer.

Don't know about clubsport.

Also FVD sells PssX kits with stiffer springs.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-06-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by ari
PssX is much better. The install is expensive so pony up the extra dough and do it right. I also suggest an H&R rear bar only in teh "middle" setting. Really tightens up the understeer.

Don't knwo about clubsport.

Also FVD sells PssX kits with stiffer springs.
ari, I respect your opinion. Can you elaborate why you say the pss-9 is "much better" than the H&r stuff?