996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

On dyno, which gear is usually used?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Justinn - yeah I'd forgotten you're a baller playing with toys over 1K! Not much is going to hold THAT back! Full pulls FTW on hardware like that for sure. Trying to hold it back would just burn it down. I only ever got to help tune on one car, turbo V8, making that kind of power. Amazing what kinds of spooky weird things that can go on - I'd never seen an intake manifold SWELL (or sweat!) before! Left a plug wire off, dropped a hundred+ horse and spent 5mins freaking trying to figure out WTF we'd broken! lol I'd love to start a war stories thread someplace appropriate to talk about funny stuff like that. Still tuning the alky RX7 with a gas mask?
No doubt! It's amazing to see what goes on inside a high hp engine bay on the dyno.... HD camera at 400FPS will amaze you

Tuning alcohol cars are better left for someone else, I hate it. I was driving the alky Modified car for some time. I broke a handle on an unbreakable GForce 2000, and in a short wheelbase Mazda GLC 1/2 chassis, it's no fun! Clutch wasn't slipping, suspension wasn't right. I was looking at the sky and the stands more than the track.... I called it quits after that one!

Justin

Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
So Justin, you've been around the block on fuel systems to say the least... What pump\s are you running in your car? I know you're past what the Bosch pump is supposed to flow, did you find the limit or what? Did Jean's numbers smell right to you?

P.S. Now THOSE vids would be awesome to watch! Ever find a good solution for sensing cylinder pressures directly? Maybe a good ion knock sensor setup?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
So Justin, you've been around the block on fuel systems to say the least... What pump\s are you running in your car? I know you're past what the Bosch pump is supposed to flow, did you find the limit or what? Did Jean's numbers smell right to you?

P.S. Now THOSE vids would be awesome to watch! Ever find a good solution for sensing cylinder pressures directly? Maybe a good ion knock sensor setup?
I am still running on the stock Bosch pump at 655 rwhp with no indication of pressure drop(the map is fine). I do have a brand new fuel filter, if that matters. I figured this was about the limit on the Bosch pump, and I was unable to turn up the boost past 20psi due to the wastegate springs. I was going to add another inline pump in the future as I crank up the boost, but my goal is only 700ish whp on my stock motor. I have 1000cc injectors and a stock FPR... as well as the standalone.

The new(ish) ion sensing stuff is pretty trick, but I have yet to do anything with it.

Justin

Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I think people rely to much on what a dyno says. I doubt that a DD is any more accurate than any other dyno. So which one is right? Well the quote below is of HC's car, look at the difference in hp. 16% difference in hp going down from a DJ or 19% difference going from a DD. Most tuned 996tt's run in the high 400's to low 500's depending on hybrid used and stock injectors. HC's car is probably closer to 500 whp in reality I would guess. So if you are looking strictly for upgrades, dyno is not important as long as you use the same one. Don't be dissapointed on a DD, since I am sure everyone else is as well.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
. My car dynoed 439 whp on his DD and 523 on a dynojet (-84). We also know that GT-R's with flash and exhaust are easily making well into the 500's whp.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I think people rely to much on what a dyno says. I doubt that a DD is any more accurate than any other dyno. So which one is right? Well the quote below is of HC's car, look at the difference in hp. 16% difference in hp going down from a DJ or 19% difference going from a DD. Most tuned 996tt's run in the high 400's to low 500's depending on hybrid used and stock injectors. HC's car is probably closer to 500 whp in reality I would guess. So if you are looking strictly for upgrades, dyno is not important as long as you use the same one. Don't be dissapointed on a DD, since I am sure everyone else is as well.

I know! My car supposedly made 590 on a Mustang dyno, but I really think it is closer to 1200hp...

Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I know! My car supposedly made 590 on a Mustang dyno, but I really think it is closer to 1200hp...
that means it would have made 290 whp on a DD weak!!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
that means it would have made 290 whp on a DD weak!!
Damn D, always gotta kick a guy in the raisins...I thought I had the fastest car in my driveway...

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
you do, when it's the only one......

speaking of bad drivers, I just stalled my car 3 times in my driveway. I haven't stalled my car in a year.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 PM
you do, when it's the only one......

speaking of bad drivers, I just stalled my car 3 times in my driveway. I haven't stalled my car in a year.
Oh yeah, I just blew my left side radiator vent hose for the second time. I am P*ssed!!!! Trying to find the part number for the updated version.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Oh yeah, I just blew my left side radiator vent hose for the second time. I am P*ssed!!!! Trying to find the part number for the updated version.
WTF? how did you do that.....take some pics

Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Yup big differences between one brand of dyno and another. But from what I could see the DD setups seemed designed to try and be used as scientific tuning tools and could do things on a repeatable basis that no other dyno I knew of could do right from the driver's seat. Hopefully things have improved on the manufacturer end from what I saw a few years ago, hopefully everyone's local shop is running the latest hardware and software too. <cough> For fun ask them how old their W/B O2 is, you might be surprised!

Meanwhile I still wonder how guys are putting down dyno sheets that show more power than their rated fuel pump flow and injectors should be capable of producing at reasonable BSFC...

Use the dyno as a tuning tool, try to use the same dyno when looking for improvements, try not to get too wrapped around what other people's cars claim to make. If you want a big number use a DynoJet