996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Upgrade - Went off the Deep End

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
They are water cooled, don't know if the oil lines are different. i can post some pics when i get her back.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
wicked 7 is infamous around these parts
Dan really knows his stuff - congrats on the upgrade. I may swing by Speed Gallery and take a look at your car.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Went by Speed Gallery today. The car is almost done. Decided to do a LWFW and clutch before I genaded the factory unit. Good thing too, the stock disk was looking a bit frayed. Not bad still, it went almost 28K miles.

The setup looks sick! Dan at Speed Gallery really goes the extra mile. Everything looks factory. There are custom fasteners, professionally welded water bungs, aircraft quality water hoses, the whole 9!

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and breaking it in. And then dyno results!

To top it off, the car was done in 6 business days (plus 3 for last minute clutch decision) with no prep work or notice. I just showed up and a week later it's ready! All parts were either in stock or shipped very quickly.

Special shoutout to GIAC for really taking care of their clients as well. They have also been great.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 AM
luva966tt is infamous around these partsluva966tt is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I was thinking about going with the bigger injectors and fuel pump on my set up also, are you worried about upgrading the intercoolers with that set up or are they already upgraded. Great on the clucth and lwfw except the noise will have to get some getting use too

Old 05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Which clutch/flywheel did you go for? How much were the parts?

Can't believe this is done so soon, totally awesome!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I went with Aasco flywheel and Sachs clutch components.. Something about factory RS parts?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
kennyjr748 is infamous around these parts
Can't wait to hear your impressions of the upgrades!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
The GT2860 turbos are great. Very responsive, very good power and a great choice for our car. I am a big fan of these turbos. Regarding the K24/18G comparison, they do produce power sooner but they will not reach levels that the K24/18G can produce. It is a function of wheel size and design. The smaller compressor and turbine wheels of the GT2860 will not flow as much as the K24/18Gs. These are the facts and I'm not playing favorites. For a real world comparison, compare dr_jitsu's GT2860 setup with fuel pump, injectors, intake, big ICs to PaulieWalnuts K24/18G with stock injectors, 5bar FPR and stock ICs. Paulie beat him every time. Jitsu went to GT30s so he could finaly trump the Walnut.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
silly question: why did you go with these turbos over the k24/18 if these are not as powerful? maybe I'm wrong, but I also thought the gt2860 were more money then the k24/18's?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Not a silly question at all. These turbos spool up faster than a K24 (by some 500 rpm) and have about 100 more HP up top. It's really a matter of driveability in everyday situations. Do you want a car that is really fast on the freeway? Or one that's really fast zipping around town?

I would be very interested to hear from someone that went went from 2860 to 3071. What are you giving up in terms of throttle response, and what are you gaining in terms of high RPM power? I bet EPL or Titan could give some meaningful answers.

I wanted a car that has good overall driveability. I'm hoping for better than K24 throttle response and pull. That said, I did inquire about 2871s and 3071s, but Speed Gallery was adamant that this is the best street setup.

To answer questions above, I'm still on stock IC.

Feel free to discuss openly. I'm fully aware that there are compromises in every setup.

I'm interested in hearing from dr_Jitsu, Paulie Walnuts, EPL and Titan. I'm PMing them now, hopefully they can give us their impressions.

Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
The GT2860 turbos are great. Very responsive, very good power and a great choice for our car. I am a big fan of these turbos. Regarding the K24/18G comparison, they do produce power sooner but they will not reach levels that the K24/18G can produce. It is a function of wheel size and design. The smaller compressor and turbine wheels of the GT2860 will not flow as much as the K24/18Gs. These are the facts and I'm not playing favorites. For a real world comparison, compare dr_jitsu's GT2860 setup with fuel pump, injectors, intake, big ICs to PaulieWalnuts K24/18G with stock injectors, 5bar FPR and stock ICs. Paulie beat him every time. Jitsu went to GT30s so he could finaly trump the Walnut.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-13-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
PM'd all 4 of them...

Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
ARi,

My GT 28's were hybrid w/ a K16 hotside, BB. One of the fastest spooling turbos ever, like driving a NA V8. They died out up top however. Perfect track turbo and great for DD. I needed to really stomp the Walnut since even w/ the 5 length walking I gave him (w/ my new GT 3076's) he still spreads lies like butter on toast

You have gotten the smaller (but aren't they still full GT 28's, not hybrids like mine?) which I agree are the best all around turbo if you want something that is still dd able. It is not so much the lag on the big turbos which can be driven around, it is all the other things you need like triple carbon clutch, race gas, R comps or DR's no rain and or traffic to really enjoy a set up like mine. Don't believe people who say the big hp cars are good dd's they are not, although they make great weekend toys.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 05-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I am not impressed with the 3076's after seeing Sean's set-up.Just not that fast for the money,compared to a full 24/18 set-up.

Sean will be running against Powell in the near furture so we will see how he does.

Last edited by PAULIEWALNUTS; 05-13-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Lets see, then, butter knife: Your best 60-130 time was a 7.25, mine a 5.79. Since each second is close to a 5 length difference that puts my car 7 full lengths ahead of your "full 24/18 set-up."

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I believe your 1,000,000 60-130 on that day was 6.4 with the same cond's as my 2nd 60-130 try. My 24/18 set-up is far from being a full set-up,let me get inj's, x-tra fuel pump & you will be history for sure.One funny thing that I don't understand is if your car is so fast doing the 60-130 why can't you beat me in Mexico?

Powell will be putting the smack down on you soon enough.

Last edited by PAULIEWALNUTS; 05-13-2009 at 06:14 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade - Went off the Deep End