996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AMTRAK auto train... anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
AMTRAK auto train... anyone use it?

I just picked up a 996 tt from FL and thinking about riding up with it to VA on the auto train. It only costs $228 to transport myself and my car, MUCH less than any other shipping company and most importantly, I get the car home in one day.

One disadvantage is that the car sits approx 1 inch lower than stock and they use a slightly inclined ramp to load vehicles.

Anybody have any experience with amtrak with their lowered vehicles? Have any ground clearance issues? Any direction would be much appreciated.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
How about taking the front bottom lip off for additional clarence, wrap it and put it inside the car or ship it.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Why don't you just drive the car back?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu

Word.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I looked into moving an RX7 this way awhile back. They expected the ride height to be "stock" and will not be held accountable for damage. I believe they even stated an expected ride height I wasn't comfortable with and I wasn't willing to risk it. I ended up driving and it was hell for the woman lol.

Anyway, I am pretty sure they do their very best to make sure they cannot be held accountable for anything that happens so be VERY careful - removing the front lip would be a must IMO. Call them and talk to them, I'd be wary...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
You won't have really any problems with the ride height. I've seen much lower cars get on the auto-train without issues.

HOWEVER....I would avoid it like the plague!! You basically spend 18 hours on the train to travel a distance that can be driven in 10-12 hours at most. Not to mention you have to be at the train station 2 hours prior to departure and it takes about an hour to unload all the cars upon arrival. While on the train, unless you pay for a *suite* which is nothing more than a tiny room, you'll be stuck 18 hours in coach type seats that are comfortable, but still torturous after a few hours. Personally, I would just find a trustworthy co-pilot and drive. Do it overnight and it's a quiet drive with empty roads.

Oh....and I forgot to mention...during pretty much half the trip, cell phone service is more or less non-existant so bring plenty of games or magazines.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't (again).
Years ago, I used Amtrak to transport my 7 Series BMW. They move the autos between the train cars, and drove the car so fast that the car bottomed out and damaged the bottom. This is so frequent an occurance that they have damage/claim inspectors at the station when off loading the cars. I would hate to think how they would drive a 996TT across the train ramps!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided to not go with amtrak. Just booked an enclosed transporter with a hydraulic lift. I'd rather spend the extra loot and have it transported properly. I don't want to cut any corners with this car and regret it later.

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I've done the drive too many times and can't stand it. The funny thing is...every time I do that drive I tell myself I'm never doing that drive again.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM
GoingFast is infamous around these parts
What company did you use for your transport? I am transporting mine from TX to MA.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by GoingFast
What company did you use for your transport? I am transporting mine from TX to MA.
I contacted Brian from this site:

http://www.enclosed-transport.net/

I called a bunch of places where I was given mid to end-of-the-month ETA's. I wanted my car within a week and this guy says he can do it. I booked him yesterday and he claims it will be here sat morning. I'm sure I paid a premium but I want my car shipped correctly and fast.

I'll let you know if he's worth using once Saturday morning hits...