996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Never thought of this, but... (Ferrari vs. Porsche leasing)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:36 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Holger B
Not to open another can of worms, but the depreciation assumptions many here are using on P-cars aren't always valid.

Here's my real world example: bought my 996 in April '98 for $75k (MSRP), drove it 5k miles/year, sold it in July for $41k (market rate). That equates to 45% depreciation for 6 1/4 years of ownership.
That's probably not real world anymore. Mine is worth about 55% of MSRP after less than 5 years and 16k miles.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Leasing is interest on the cost of the car + depreciation + profit. At 7% interest your interest payment alone would be $1400 on a 200K car + depreciation + profit. $2,000 per month sounds about right.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-15-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:33 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ari
Leasing is interest on the cost of the car + depreciation + profit. At 7% interest your interest payment alone would be $1400 on a 200K car + depreciation + profit. $2,000 per month sounds about right.
the interest IS the profit. for some silly reason they just call it "money factor". maybe the little money factor X 2400 is supposed to be too complicated for the masses making it difficult for them to figure out what they're really paying. then again, most cars sold today are sold on payment, not price or interest.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I suppose most Ferrari drivers pay cash anyway...

Old 10-15-2004, 10:09 PM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by teutonictrio
I suppose most Ferrari drivers pay cash anyway...
Well, like Ben said earlier, it all comes down to what you figure you can earn with your cash. If you can outperform the lease costs, obviously you'd be wiser to lease, even if you could easily pay cash. Other People's Money...

Gary

Old 10-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by tdf360
Well, like Ben said earlier, it all comes down to what you figure you can earn with your cash. If you can outperform the lease costs, obviously you'd be wiser to lease, even if you could easily pay cash. Other People's Money...

Gary
Glad you said that, Gary, as it is absolutely true. There are some 'old school' folks out there who say 'if you lease, that means you can't afford it', which besides not being true because the same qualifications need to be met for financing as leasing (sometimes leasing is more rigorous), it's 1920's mentality. My business leases my cars because my cash flow does MUCH better reinvesting in marketing and inventory than it does on a car which is a depreciating asset.

This 'old school' thinking reminds me of another 'old school' argument that has reared its ugly head (and the ugly head of his blonde headed friend, as a matter of fact) concerning what 'real men' drive (and contrary to the very statement is the individual making the statement as witnessed in the photo).

Old 10-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally posted by teutonictrio
My business leases my cars because my cash flow does MUCH better reinvesting in marketing and inventory than it does on a car which is a depreciating asset.

This 'old school' thinking reminds me of another 'old school' argument that has reared its ugly head (and the ugly head of his blonde headed friend, as a matter of fact) concerning what 'real men' drive (and contrary to the very statement is the individual making the statement as witnessed in the photo).
True teutonictrio, and the blond guy is very disturbing...