996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

One Lap of America (Porsche contender)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:15 PM
mrsideways is infamous around these parts
Hey Guys, Sorry I didn't pull her off. At the BMW performance center they put in a coned chicane (that was extremely tight) to control our speeds going by the stands (ha after doing 179 mph on daytona). I've had a pretty constant fight with the ABS on the GT2. On the GT3 I'd only have ABS problems when I'd go to brakes with a tire in the air or in a slide. In the GT2 it seems to happen randomly. Coming into the Chicane I got into the ABS pretty good a slid through the far side of the chicane taking out two of the cones. Ended up in the grass actually. I'm quite surprised I still had quick scratch time. We knew we had to go for it. A 2nd place wasn't going to do us any good. At Beaverun the GT-R took it easy in the morning but they wanted the pride in the afternoon and drove hard. They admitted they didn't have anything for us there. It was a nice moral victory after handing the win to them with the cones. For the skid pad we figured we were so far out it wasn't a big deal so Peter drove. We couldn't have been more wrong. This time they ran the event so the fastest cars go Last. About 30 seconds before Pete pulled onto the skid pad it went from a misting rain to a drizzle. Pulling only .86 g's with a dry setup in the rain we barely held 2nd place overall. We'll be back next year and faster!
After the Beaverun competition brock opened up the track to all the cars to have at it and have some of the transit drivers get some track time. We got a chance to compare the GT2 in a 60 mph on up with Peter's other car rented by Catseby Jones (Supercharged E46 M3). We know that car dyno'd 485whp and we were dead even. VERY impressive M3.

Heavychevy I'll get you my sebring data. we had a traqmate issue in the morning so I don't have the fast runs. Track was greesy in the afternoon. I'm basically on a cell phone connection right now.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
NO apologies needed Ian, I'm sure every one of your competitors and anyone that's seen you drive before respects your driving skill. I think you did the best you could given the amount of rain and losing that splitter going into Daytona, this easily could have went the other way. I know I've murdered a few cones in my time as well. I'll look you up when I make it down to Sebring.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Galactus
Great result by the GT-R, and in the end they won by 200 points. It sounds like the weather was not much help to the GT2 during the event, but that is the nature of the One Lap event. Congrats to all of the competitors as that is a grueling event!
If clipping 2 cones cost 90 points, a spoiler getting damaged by road debris between events and weather favoring AWD - luck has a lot to do with it too.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Sakred is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No, but the Porsche ruled the road courses. Nuff said. Just very hard to win this competition with a RWD car. Great job by Ian and Peter though. Well done guys!!!
Hahahah . Dude you should change your name to cryinchevy. Don't worry the Porsche is still the best car EVAR!! in every scenario and every track possible. The ring times were a lie, the moon landing was staged in a studio, and Jews caused 9-11. All is right with the world.

On a serious note. A great effort was put forth by all the participants in the One Lap. the GT2 had a very respectable finish, but you cant really argue with 1st place. GO GTR.and team Cannonball.

Hammad

Old 05-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Hey Mr noCred; When you can come to an ALMS track like Sebring and run a sub 2:20 in a slightly modified street car then maybe you have a point.

Originally Posted by Sakred
Hahahah . Dude you should change your name to cryinchevy. Don't worry the Porsche is still the best car EVAR!! in every scenario and every track possible. The ring times were a lie, the moon landing was staged in a studio, and Jews caused 9-11. All is right with the world.

On a serious note. A great effort was put forth by all the participants in the One Lap. the GT2 had a very respectable finish, but you cant really argue with 1st place. GO GTR.and team Cannonball.

Hammad

Old 05-10-2009, 04:54 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

Hammad
Oooohh...wait wait wait...let me guess. You waited 7 months to get that out?

Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Oooohh...wait wait wait...let me guess. You waited 7 months to get that out?

Can you feel the burn?

Hammad

Old 05-10-2009, 05:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
not really...but I can smell the BS...

Last edited by bbywu; 05-10-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
I've been trying to sync the video with the data via traqmate but it claims every computer I own and every friends computer I borrow is to low on memory, So here is the no data video's.
Sebring Video from the GT2...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fSZDlS_Sc

Daytona Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHmmOvWDHo

Beaverun and Autobahn I'll get up in a day or two.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

Hammad

Just pointing out the obvious to those who haven't been keeping track. You and your fanboys can swarm with your high fives but at least we know the facts. The ACR was the fastest car on the road courses last year but didn't win, same goes for the GT2 this year.

AWD hasn't won the last 6 years off of pure speed. In fact AWD has won every year since the wet skid pad was added to the event in 2004. Considering the weather that is inherent during the competition anyways, it's extra tough to win in a RWD car considering margins have no play.

Just giving credit where it is due, an under modded, and wounded GT2 nearly pulled it off and still managed to win the majority of road course events in spite of rainy or wet conditions at 3 of the road courses they visited.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Just pointing out the obvious to those who haven't been keeping track. You and your fanboys can swarm with your high fives but at least we know the facts. The ACR was the fastest car on the road courses last year but didn't win, same goes for the GT2 this year.

AWD hasn't won the last 6 years off of pure speed. In fact AWD has won every year since the wet skid pad was added to the event in 2004. Considering the weather that is inherent during the competition anyways, it's extra tough to win in a RWD car considering margins have no play.

Just giving credit where it is due, an under modded, and wounded GT2 nearly pulled it off and still managed to win the majority of road course events in spite of rainy or wet conditions at 3 of the road courses they visited.

Not taking anything away from the GT2. Respect needs to be given where its due. Team Cannon Fodder did an excellent job.

I just would like to point out last years One Lap, where a completely stock GTR placed below a few modified Porsche's, was touted around as the greatest victory for truth and justice since WW2 around these parts. it wouldn't surprised me one bit if this years results were swept under the rug, and will not be used to form arguments by heavychevy declaring the clear dominance of the Porsche brand over anything thats Nissan.

As for the quoted post. All i hear are excuses. Im sure last years GTR entry had them too, everyone is a victim of circumstance when things don't them, or favor their point of view. I'm sure Team Cannon Fodder doesn't share your sentiment.

Hammad

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Great posts as always heavy ! rep given.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Not taking anything away from the GT2. Respect needs to be given where its due. Team Cannon Fodder did an excellent job.

I just would like to point out last years One Lap, where a completely stock GTR placed below a few modified Porsche's, was touted around as the greatest victory for truth and justice since WW2 around these parts. it wouldn't surprised me one bit if this years results were swept under the rug, and will not be used to form arguments by heavychevy declaring the clear dominance of the Porsche brand over anything thats Nissan.

As for the quoted post. All i hear are excuses. Im sure last years GTR entry had them too, everyone is a victim of circumstance when things don't them, or favor their point of view. I'm sure Team Cannon Fodder doesn't share your sentiment.

Hammad
The point last year was that a stock powered 996 GT3 with a few suspension mods put the hurt on the GT-R in spite of the rwd disadvantage and aweful conditions at several tracks. I also said last year that the Bridgestones on the GT-R were better than PS2's so the GT-R had a tire advantage as well but no one bought it until all the GT-R guys said the same thing when they tried the PS2's.

I think team cannonfodder agrees with me completely because next on their list of mods is more power and aero. The same thing I said they were lacking in comparison to their main competition. It's a fair assesment IMO. They did not win, nor were they robbed of winning. Just pointing out the details.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
"cannonfodder"...

Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
This years race was a close one. The GT-R's advantage comes from it's digging out of the hole. It can get a much better jump out of the corner then our car. Especially on a grippy track, Oddly enough on the slippery tracks (except cmp) and the lightly damp tracks I could get it. I think the slick conditions messed with the computers. On a VERY wet track where I couldn't get the power down in 4th he got me. I told pete, I think the turbo lag is the biggest thing holding the GT2 back. Both lag on upshifts and judging the boost and applying proper thorottle out of a corner. The GT-R does not have that handicap. 4wd does the modulation of throttle and no lift upshifts take care of the upshift lag. I started doing partial lift upshifts in testing and found 5mph on some of the longer straights. The car isn't mine and a G50 tranny is expensive so I tried to reserve those shifts for where they are most benificial.
If you look at the results it was completely our own undoing with that cone because I believe it would have come down to the dry skid pad. Take Sebring (my home track) and CMP (their home track) out of the results.
Autobahn (us)
Talladega (tie)+ wet
Daytona (tie)
BMW (I had fastest raw time, despite going off, and they claim they backed off after seeing the cone... which was right at the finish line) so we'll discount that one as well.
Beaverrun (us x 2)
Looks like in the road courses that actually count we won heavily. In fact, they never won one outright.
Now you look at the non-road course results
wet skid pad (them) ... I learned a lot about driving on a wet skid pad, there is a lot more to it then just going around in a ciricle. we picked up massive time in testing on the wet skid pad without changing anything on the car. They happen to live near the cheapest wet skid pad for rental in the area. they also did all their photo shoots on the wet skid pad. Want to know why the GT-R won the wet skid pad.... he out drove me around it.
Autocross (them) 3 hair pin turns on a slick surface don't help a pushy laggy car. I'll give em that, for that course that day the GT-R was the car... however I heard later in the day a STS Miata beat all our times (on street tires) so in that reguard a Miata beat the mighty GT-R.
Drag strip (them) , he with the most power wins. They hit 127mph (vs our 121mph)... that's a lot of power.
Dry skid pad. Don't know because both of us treated it like a sunday drive.

Looking at it that way it would have come down to the dry skid pad. Seeing as I pulled a pretty high g last year with no testing on the dry skid pad I liked our odds. But my cones at the BMW center ended it.
But since it keeps coming up, I for one still think the GT-R's time around the ring was done on hoosier R6's. The car does amazing things for it's weight, the upshifts alone are worth a ton over another manual transmission turbo car. I can't discount the darn thing at all. But after autocrossing in college with a guy who now works for nissan's marketing department it wouldn't surprise me at all if he knew exactly what tricks to do that wouldn't be obvious on video to make it put in a killer lap. My personally opinion is the boost was up and the tires were of the racing origin.

Last edited by mrsideways; 05-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One Lap of America (Porsche contender)