996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

One Lap of America (Porsche contender)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What value does stall represent? What is being used to move the wing up and down and what is the maximum level of DF the wing can produce? Obviously while traveling at top straight speed into braking zone, the wing will at some point have to not only resist but provide force against a very high percentage of that DF number to get to stall (?). How quickly can the wing go from straight mode to this stall angle.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor
Wingman (AeroM) is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
What value does stall represent? What is being used to move the wing up and down and what is the maximum level of DF the wing can produce? Obviously while traveling at top straight speed into braking zone, the wing will at some point have to not only resist but provide force against a very high percentage of that DF number to get to stall (?). How quickly can the wing go from straight mode to this stall angle.
Stall is the point where lift (downforce) drops off, and drag goes through the roof. Full stall would be no lift, and all airbraking. The question is, what's more efficient, the drag X surface area of the wing, or the df. For GT-R's, it's the DF. Huge DF also combats dive, and keeps the platform flat under heaving braking. It gives you that, "I'm going to make it through this turn" happy feeling.

We can put around 800lbs on the back of your car at 200mph. We usually dial that down unless you mount directly to the frame. We've had a GTR decide he felt lucky, and put about 700lbs though a CF trunk - which by some act of god held on. LOL.

We go lock to lock in about .5 seconds on the R2 ($3.5k), and .2 seconds on the S2 ($7.3K). For the S2, you're paying for insane actuators. Also, since it does the split control, we needed to move much faster than the car's natural frequency to make sure we never got out of phase though the esses. . .

There is some secret aero sauce in the wings that allows us to actuate very fast at high speed. The R2 is driven by an industrial linear actuator mounted under the trunk lid.

The S2 (on the Green Freedom GTR in one lap) has servo actuators mounted inside each upright (and heat sunk to the uprights). These uprights, which we call power pods, come directly off an airplane. Squeezing the servos in there is also why that wing is $7.3k. It's much easier (cost effective) to put one larger actuator in the trunk. On the flip side, we can make S2's function happily north of 200mph.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannonballgtr
Oh where to start...

First off I must give due respect to Ian and Peter for their contributions during the event. Both are very humble and talented drivers that keep us on our toes the entire week. It was a pleasure to race against you both and look forward to future encounters on track and off.

That being said I am here just to clear up some of the misinformation that is being volleyed around about the Cannonball GT-R and exactly where it stands in regards to Peter's GT2.
Here is a complete list of mods:
JRZ triples
Carbotech pads
AP front rotors
MA-Motorsports turbo back exhaust
reflash
manual boost controller
wheels and tires.
That's it, complete list.
Put the car on the dyno this morning running in the same trim as last week. Nothing changed. *was hoping to post the dyno sheet here but due to miscommunication I will not have it until tomorrow*
Results: 470hp max on an AWD DD machine.

Prior to the 2nd session at Daytona I weighed the GT-R on the scales in the garage. 3969 w/ driver and 1/3 tank of fuel.

Those are the facts people.

At this point I'll wait for HC's tirade and address it accordingly. Most likely by ignoring it. Oh I will speak to one item in his previous posts about the OEM Bridgestone RE070's runflats being a better tire then PS2's last year. Obviously you have never driven on the RE070 runflats as they are some of the most ill suited track tires I have seen in my life. They are utter ****. To think they are even in the same realm as PS2's demonstrates a complete lack of information and firsthand experience on HC's part.
This post reflects alot of class and I would like to congratulate you on
the overall win, This is quite and accomplishment!

Marty K.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 AM
gp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to behold
Will,

Let's keep this real for just a second, you and I and everyone here knows that your car is not making 470 whp and trapping 127 mph at 3900 lbs. If the AWD DD you are talking about is Forged's dyno, well I happen to know for a fact that dyno can read nearly 100 whp less than a Dyno Jet and so will many others just like it. My car dynoed 439 whp on his DD and 523 on a dynojet (-84). We also know that GT-R's with flash and exhaust are easily making well into the 500's whp.

You also left out the Aeromotions wing and big front splitter on that mod list.

Semantics aside, would you not at least agree with the fact that you had much more hp than the GT2 to trap 6 mph faster on the same night while having probably 500-600 more lbs. Would you also not agree that you had an aero advantage as well? I didn't say your car was heavily modded but there is no doubt you definitely had a power and aero advantage.

That being said, congrats on the win, you earned it and deserved it. This is a "run what ya brung" contest and you brought everything necessary to win. In just comparing the two cars, the GT2 did well for being outgunned in weight to power ratios and aero accessories. That's all I'm saying.

Damn there are some really sore losers on this thread. I expected significantly more class from a P car thread.

The GT-R won. Get over it and start prepping for next year or you may lose to a GT-R again.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
Well so far they have done the wet skid pad where the GT2 got third, a drying track from night rains at the autobahn road course, a semi-wet track at the autocross, a wet track at Talladega Grand Prix for two events and the GT2 won or placed second in all of them. Even with RWD.

He didn't really have a chance in the drag race, but still did ok placing third. From here on out it's mostly road courses. And for a GT2 that has nothing but a tune and Motons, it's pretty revealing. Were Mark running this year, he'd have a bigger challenge than he did last year with the ACR because these guys are consistent too. The ACR basically didnt even run the wet skid pad finishing last or second to last, then went off on a few other tracks and built to big of a deficit to come back.

Mod for mod, the GT2 is handling it's business.
Ummmmm do you remember that car!!!!! it whent by you last year at VIR! ..lol
im glad to see she is doing well!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Anybody know the mods on the 996 GT2 (suspension and engine)?

How about the most competitive GTR ?

MK
i would hope so I had the car built for me!!!!!...

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Matt, that's your old car? Did you part it out, I thought you had more power than what they were running.......

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 AM
if peter has it...it was mine and its a fast car.... 2:00 vir car..I did not Part it out....
I miss her but What the hell... have a new toy

Old 05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, it is Matt's ex GT2. No excuses for our 2nd place finish. Will & Steve, both friends, drove the wheels off the GT-R and earned the win. A GT-R properly prepped and with good drovers is a formidable weapon. The OLOA is an event that doesn't allow any big mistakes if you want to win. Our big mistake was 2 cones @ BMW which created a hill we couldn't climb. The good news is both the GT-R and GT2 were faster @ the tracks we ran last year than the GOLD standard of Davia. The bad news is the Viper ACR was still faster.

With a whole year before the 2010 OLOA we hope to narrow the gap to the ACR.

#1 Continue to dial in the cars handling
#2 Aero improvements
#3 Reliable power improvements.

Testing for 2010 starts NOW

Peter

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Peter!!!!

Congrads!!!!!! I am impressed!!! That car is a handful to drive the limits you all did fantastic!!! I am proud the car was a 1:58 car at Vir with slicks and seat time! I'm glad you are running her!!!