996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Euro. VS. American Version

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 AM
ACHAHockey is infamous around these parts
Euro. VS. American Version

In the market for a 996 Turbo. Prices are good right now for an early 200X, and I'm seeing a lot of "911 Turbo Euro. Versions."

Just basic Googling yields that the Euro. version has a "little extra power." I can't seem to find out how much, specs, anything like that.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight in to what kind of power they make over American 996 Turbos (if the difference is any).

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
No insight but just a couple of my cents... since you will probably mod your car, a few hp between Euro and US makes no differences. Buy the US model to meet all regulations to start with.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by MY996TT
No insight but just a couple of my cents... since you will probably mod your car, a few hp between Euro and US makes no differences. Buy the US model to meet all regulations to start with.

I really didn't think it was a large difference, and yes, it will be modded, .

It meets all regulations, it's been in the U.S. for the past few years, meets all emissions as well as:

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
These are known as gray market cars, and that will impact the resale value. The car has no US warranty, but that really doesn't matter seeing as how the warranty has expired anyway. If you don't get a discount, though, I'd walk away. The next buyer of your car will want a discount, so you're better off getting the same up front. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
These are known as gray market cars, and that will impact the resale value. The car has no US warranty, but that really doesn't matter seeing as how the warranty has expired anyway. If you don't get a discount, though, I'd walk away. The next buyer of your car will want a discount, so you're better off getting the same up front. Good luck.
Thanks for the information!

The price was reduced for these same reasons. Started off $5k higher than what it is going to sell for now.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
Thats interesting. I wasn't aware there were any major differences other than the obvious ones like bumperettes not being on the car and lights being different.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Silly but somewhat related question. Do the European 996TT's come with the rear bumperettes? I'm aware that they don't have the front ones, but am not sure about the larger rear ones. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
They don't have the rear ones to make room for the larger lic. plate... plus they don't have the same crazy 5mph crash safety standards we do in the US.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 PM
porscheralph is infamous around these parts
There are no power differences between US and ROW cars - the engines are the exact same units.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Gray market car means hard resale even if the car is the exact same, it just comes with the market..Check the euro 360 Modena's on EBAY, they sel super cheap because of this.

A lot of times depending on the car model, the windshield may have to be changed, belts changed, door impact bars changed, bumpers...

How good of a job did Sunshine Imports do? (RI in the picture that brought it in)
Would you rather have a German Porsche mechanic working on your car with vital safety and emmsissions parts or Harry came from Tire Kingdom and is employed by Sunshine Imports?

Good luck though I think Wayne Gretzky brought over a GT2 in 2000 from europe and was for sale recently.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
Gray market car means hard resale even if the car is the exact same, it just comes with the market..Check the euro 360 Modena's on EBAY, they sel super cheap because of this.

A lot of times depending on the car model, the windshield may have to be changed, belts changed, door impact bars changed, bumpers...

How good of a job did Sunshine Imports do? (RI in the picture that brought it in)
Would you rather have a German Porsche mechanic working on your car with vital safety and emmsissions parts or Harry came from Tire Kingdom and is employed by Sunshine Imports?

Good luck though I think Wayne Gretzky brought over a GT2 in 2000 from europe and was for sale recently.
That's something that I brought up with the dealership as well. It's at an import dealer in Miami now, they specialize in "rare and exotics," Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. My dad knows some of the sales managers there and spoke to them about the car, reassuring that it had been worked on solely by them. In any sense, we bought the car today, tomorrow it'll be finalized and we'll be taking a plane down to Miami next weekend, then driving the car back to Buffalo.

It'll also be the first 911 in our family that has cupholders.

Last edited by ACHAHockey; 05-06-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
What i been told is that the EURO tt car has more compression ratio than the AMERICAN one.It ha sto do with the emission issue.So when you want to increase your boost,you can get more HP's from the AMERICAN one than the Euro tt car.
So get an AMERICAN version 996 TT--the best one.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
To repeat - the engines are exactly the same - no difference in internal parts, no difference in compression - they are the same in all respects.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porscheralph
To repeat - the engines are exactly the same - no difference in internal parts, no difference in compression - they are the same in all respects.
I am sorry Ralph to desagree,i just doble checked it with my source.Euro version of porsche 996 tt has more compression than American version.It is do to the pump gas octane,is not because of the emission as i said before-my mistake.
I will post later what is the compression on the Euro and the American version.

Rolando

Old 05-08-2009, 12:18 PM
The octane rating does not make a difference - the ECU senses the octane via the knock sensor and adjusts the timing and fuel delivery to compensate for the difference in octane. We have that difference in the US - some of us on the East coast get 93 and the West coast is mostly stuck with 91 octane. I will refer you to Adrian Streather's book - The Essential Companion to the 996" - as the source of the hp ratings for the engines - they are exactly the same for all countries. If I am incorrect I will leave it to others to inform us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Euro. VS. American Version