996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My First Dyno on the Pessimistic Mustang

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
WOW! That is impressive....that was a TIP?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have been viewing other dyno charts from other posts, and most of them peak at 4000+ rpm. My dyno chart shows the peak right around it meets the hp line. Since my boost jumps at pretty low rmp, you would think that the tq should peak sooner!

btw, can anyone tell me why tq always meets hp at 5252? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StuartsPNB
WOW! That is impressive....that was a TIP?
Thanks, she is a fun Tip.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
http://www.vettenet.og/torquehp.html An interesting tidbit - peak torque is best BSFC and is generally where there's least timing as the engine is most efficient.
BLKMGK,
I would like to learn more, but your link is not working.

What is your opinion about my charts?
Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Great hp number! Definitely something weird on that torque.... and I concur with ttboost - that looks like the torque curve and peak of a big cammed small block chevy!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
horsepower equals torque (in ft-pounds) times RPM divided by 5250

By definition, they must meet at 5250

Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
horsepower equals torque (in ft-pounds) times RPM divided by 5250

By definition, they must meet at 5250
Correct. And hp/tq can meet on the way up OR the way down. My point is, on MOST 996TT dyno graphs that I have seen, this intersection of HP/TQ is on the way DOWN the TQ curve, not on the way up, meaning it is making killer tq down low and hp carries out. Again, just wondering why this one is like this? I'm very sure this car certainly feels fast, it has 500hp at the wheels!! However, up against a car that makes 500+ ft/lbs at 4500, it would get killed...

Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Wink

Originally Posted by ttboost
OK, let's be honest, to me, that dyno plot looks like a normally aspirated small block chevy dyno plot,<snip>

I guess my point was and still is, the higher boost on 91 is more of a hindrance. I think the car would make BETTER power with LESS boost and MORE timing, that's all I'm saying. Again, just my opinion.
Now THIS is something that could very well be true! It is VERY possible that his car is compromising timing in order to run at this level of boost. It would be a VERY good idea to turn down the boost and bring timing up to see where it goes. I also thing it would be a VERY good idea to throw in a few gallons of race gas to see just how badly timing is being compromised here due to the poor fuel. Meth injection on this car might be a VERY good idea. Remember folks, for a knock sensor to retard timing it must first have ALREADY seen knock! Leaning on knock sensor is a BAD idea and I know one Supra owner who lost a motor because of it - one day his sensor went bad and BOOM! You do not want to be on the edge of knock, cars actually make better power a few degrees before knock threshold - seen this in realtime on the dyno and it was an eye opener.

Do not get hung up on big boost numbers, more isn't always better. Once upon a time I ran one of the early Paxton blowers on my Mustang, made like 9lbs of boost tops. I got the heads ported, intake ported, and a bigger throttlebody installed. Boost dropped to 6lbs and I was PISSED! What I didn't realize then was that boost on a gauge is a measure of restriction in the intake tract - it's the air your engine hasn't been able to ingest. Like a beer bong that's too big, it backs up My car made more power at lower measured boost but I was young and didn't understand. On a belt driven blower freeing this restriction means lower boost as more air gets in - airflow is fixed without a pulley change because the compressor is belt driven, on a turbo the W/G simply opens less and you maintain boost while ingesting more beer errr umm air so it's not always obvious it's breathing better. This is partly why two cars at the same boost level but different turbos and mods can make different power levels, the exhaust wheels on the turbos can produce different backpressures and the intake tracts can differ. This is also why turbo engines at altitude lose less power - the turbo simply spins harder to make up for the lost pressure, belt driven blower or N/A cars can't compensate and simply show lower boost\less power. When a turbo loses boost on the top end of the RPMs it's because it can no longer move enough air to overwhelm the intake. Once I understood this I used to laugh at Mustang guys benchracing when one would claim more power because he ran "more boost" - boost pressure means jack in the grand scheme of things, what's most important is how much air gets into the chamber!

Is it possible that the transmission is partially responsible for the odd curve? There's some torque multiplication factor in the torque converter isn't there? This is especially true on the lower end of the band I think. Was this run with the torque converter locked up? Can this converter even handle that much power locked up? There's usually some slip going on and it wouldn't surprise me if this motor is playing games with the curve because the trans isn't happy. I will admit to little experience with automatics but I think that comparing this to stick equipped cars is going to be a little misleading. I know little about the Tiptronic but I'd think trying for a better converter with a higher stall and stronger guts would be a good idea. Torque is what KILLS converters, I'd be watching the temp on that trans too - I expect it's not very happy with the added power. Honestly Justin or the guys from Titan can probably explain all of the weirdness that automatics can induce on high power cars better than I can, I just know it can happen!

Oh the linky was broken\typo'd - try this one -> http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html To REALLY learn about this stuff take the EFI101 courses, really informative!

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text but I tend to be a little passionate about this stuff I can go on and on. I'd love to discuss why bigger turbos aren't always better too but this is long enough lol

Last edited by BLKMGK; 05-09-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typos, clarifications, anecdotes blah blah more words!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Blkmgk, Great information as always. Thanks and keep it coming.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
This comes back to my point. Its safer to upgrade your TQ Convertor to the EVOMS one before you put all this power. It will cost you 1600 but will save you on a 10k transmission +labor. Just my 2c.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
$4K for a converter?! Holy Crap! Are these converters 100% different from what's in other cars?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
$4K for a converter?! Holy Crap! Are these converters 100% different from what's in other cars?
The TQ Convertor upon core exchange is $1600 from Evoms.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by vbmw335
The TQ Convertor upon core exchange is $1600 from Evoms.
Oh! Sorry, I missed the fine print the first time. $1695 it looks like, that's still high but considering the size of the market not too bad. Any idea what the stall speed is on it? Other than tweaking fins do they do anything else to fortify it? What little I know of torque converts is based on domestic stuff and I know they have to do a great deal more than tweak fins to make one live - antiballoon plates etc.. They say tested to 800horse though so that's helpful. Sounds like replacing it before a failure would be a good idea considering the core charge!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, great information from everyone, very educational. I really appreciate this.

I do think that the Tip is playing a little trick on the dyno, because on all the pulls, I noticed that the Tip is not running happy (smooth) at lower rpm; when it reached certain point, then it looked okay.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Good numbers. Any reason why the TQ is lower than HP? I always see a parallel increase of HP and TQ at these levels. Just curious. Congrats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First Dyno on the Pessimistic Mustang