996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock GT2 vs 996 tt AWD modded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 AM
911 RV is infamous around these parts
Stock GT2 vs 996 tt AWD modded

Trying to decide between stock GT2 vs getting a 996 tt and upgrading suspension & turbos. Will be used for a weekend / daily driver during good weather. Handling and power are both high on the list.
There are resonable examples of each out there now, trying to decide the pro's & & con's of each. Still it looks like you could pick up a stock 996 tt and do all the popular modds and still be less than GT2 price range.
I have only driven a 996 AWD X50, not a GT2.
Opinions of owners of both cars are appreciated.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Get a GT2. It is a beautiful car and has turbo's that are easy to upgrade. You won't need to touch the suspension, except maybe upgraded sways and links, and a corner balance and alignment. If it already has an exhaust, great, other wise pick a used one up here for a grand. Then call up a tuner and have them upgrade the existing turbos to 24/18G's and get an off the shelf tune. You'll be in an exclusive car with great handling and loads of power for an additional $3500.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 AM
TwiZteD is infamous around these parts
I would get the GT2 if possible, more rare car.

// André

Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I saw no mention of the track, get the TT and mod it up, it's a great weekend car and easy to mod.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
If I could have swung a Gt2, I would have. I went for a non-x50, and having a good time making it the way I want.
Nutshell: GT2 if a good one presents itself. If not, 996TT can be modded to be as good / better for thousands less, but with less exclusivity.
Over time........ you'll probably be glad you chose a GT2.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Have never driven on the track, although the Infinion Raceway is only 45 min away. Had several cars, just want to put some thought into this for a change.
More interested in buying a car "already done" than starting with bone stock and doing alot of upgrades. I am leaning twards the GT2 and just upgrading the turbos & tune vs 996tt.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
A GT2's suspension is hardly done. It will need some suspension components to make it safe with all of that power. Depending on how hard you drive it and the condition, the GT2's LSD will need upgrade or rebuild, you'll need a clutch in both.

You started saying a stock GT2 vs a modded turbo, now you are saying mod both. Just giving you some insight as to what you would be looking at.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, I did say stock GT2. I was assuming the GT2 already had larger turbos, bigger intercoolers, better suspension, trans, ect. than 996tt. I was also planing that you would have to do minimal mods to the GT2 for a noticable performance improvement vs alot to the 996 to get it to the GT2's level.
Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911 RV
Yes, I did say stock GT2. I was assuming the GT2 already had larger turbos, bigger intercoolers, better suspension, trans, ect. than 996tt. I was also planing that you would have to do minimal mods to the GT2 for a noticable performance improvement vs alot to the 996 to get it to the GT2's level.
Thanks for all the input.
GT2
Larger turbos = Yes. K24 vs K16. +50hp?
Bigger ICs = Hardly 10% larger.
Better suspension = Yes, but not if you plan on tracking
Better trans = No
Exhaust = so similar it's basically the same

Most of the increased value of the GT2 is:
1) It's a GT2
2) Front and rear body mods if you like the GT2 styling - I do, but can't justify the cost of adding to a 996TT
3) RWD. Complete, not just removed parts. This can be a plus or a minus depending on personal preference
4) Seats - Sport seats aren't exactly cheap
5) Wheels/Tires - Same style, slightly wider
6) Lighter weight - missing rear seats, sunroof, hydraulic clutch parts

In the end, a GT2 will cost you twice of what a 996TT will. If you want to turn a 996TT into a GT2 lookalike, get a GT2. If you like the looks of a 996TT - adding just a tune, exhaust, coilovers, and removing some weight should put you in the same performance ballpark as a stock GT2.

JH

Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have had two older turbos 76,86, moded em both loved drivin em never spin out but had some closeeees, have a 996tt now and it's nice to let the car drive it's self all you have to do is piont and go. so if your lazy get the 996tt if ya wana drive and always remember your limits get the gt.. if it happens my next my be an e gear lambo now thata lazy

Old 05-10-2009, 11:53 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
hey john my wifes father was stationed at dyess in the 60s flew 29s

Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John H.
GT2
Larger turbos = Yes. K24 vs K16. +50hp?
Bigger ICs = Hardly 10% larger.
Better suspension = Yes, but not if you plan on tracking
Better trans = No
Exhaust = so similar it's basically the same

Most of the increased value of the GT2 is:
1) It's a GT2
2) Front and rear body mods if you like the GT2 styling - I do, but can't justify the cost of adding to a 996TT
3) RWD. Complete, not just removed parts. This can be a plus or a minus depending on personal preference
4) Seats - Sport seats aren't exactly cheap
5) Wheels/Tires - Same style, slightly wider
6) Lighter weight - missing rear seats, sunroof, hydraulic clutch parts

In the end, a GT2 will cost you twice of what a 996TT will. If you want to turn a 996TT into a GT2 lookalike, get a GT2. If you like the looks of a 996TT - adding just a tune, exhaust, coilovers, and removing some weight should put you in the same performance ballpark as a stock GT2.

JH
I believe your comment about the transmission is incorrect. GT2 has steel synchros as well as a built in sprayer for the gears. Not hardly the same as a 996TT transmission.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
I'd highly recommend test driving the GT2 and maybe a 993 turbo before you pull the trigger. The driving experience of these cars is markedly different and you want to be happy w/ your purchase. Happy hunting!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Doesn't the GT2 also have an aluminum subframe and the 996tt has a steel one? All of the mentioned differences don't add up to the weight difference between the two cars.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SleeperX
I believe your comment about the transmission is incorrect. GT2 has steel synchros as well as a built in sprayer for the gears. Not hardly the same as a 996TT transmission.
I didn't say it was the same tranny, I said it wasn't any better.
The synchromesh rings on gears 3 - 5 are made of steel instead of brass on the GT2. I don't believe this is a very notable change. I don't see the trans being a weak link on 996TTs at all. I also believe there might be an external cooler on GT2s, but I can't confirm this. $50 from Summit Racing covers this if so.

JH

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock GT2 vs 996 tt AWD modded