996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Our car (996TT) starts without the clutch!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
John, im in the NE also, where do you run? Is that englishtown?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
No, New England Dragway in NH - a really nice group of people working there. They enforce the rules to the letter. I'm sure they do not want any liability should something happen...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
If you go to a drag strip, they will not allow you to run like that. They will discover it during the car inspection.

yeah right! my tech inspector went to the front of the car to see the engine, you think he would even think of that. nope.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
nope

Originally Posted by jpflip
Your problem has to be a sticky switch on the clutch pedal, part#997 613 109 00 and it is only about $25.00
no clicks.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
You guys have it easy...sounds like a lot of you would be sidelined up here. Are they making you use roll bars under 11.5?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Whats the exact step to bypass the clutch? unplug it? wire the wires together while plugged in?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
My local track has a very thorough tech inspection. I know they are pretty strict because when I ran an 11.51, they pulled me aside when I came around again and told me any faster (under 11.5) and I will need a roll bar, fire suit, SFI belts and fire extinguisher before I could run any more. They operate the track by the letter of the law. I have heard of looser regulated tracks, so I guess it just depends where you go and how strict they are there...but if you go to a track with your clutch operating like that, you should be prepared that you may not be allowed to run, if they check for it and enforce it.
John, so what would they do in the case of a car like mine? I've got a 1972, back then they ALL started without depressing the clutch. Anyway, I'm sure the owners of your track think they're being "responsible" and trying to protect people, but really they're contributing to illegal street racing indirectly. Back in the late 90's, maybe early 2000's here in Los Angeles, Street racing became a HUGE problem. So in order to curb it, Law enforcement encouraged local tracks to start opening up to the "Run what ya brung" philosophy. It was smart, it got kids off the streets and onto tracks where they could race in a controlled environment. They didn't have to worry about inconsistencies in the roads that could cause an accident or "fans" along the highways/roads where they could easily be struck and injured or killed. During that time All you needed were working seatbelts and a helmet. And this worked! Tracks pretty much had you sign an affidavit saying that you understood that it was "at your own risk" But then like everything else, the Lawyers and insurance companies started getting in on the action, causing tracks to become more "respsonsible" er, doing more about risk management to lower their risk. Then came the track rules such as...under such and such times or trap speeds then you must have a roll bar, under this time you must have a full cage, this speed you must have a parachute...etc. etc. Well guess what happened?! Now the kids are back to racing on the streets. Back to causing needless injuries and deaths. Let's face it, for as long as there are cars on the road, there will be races on the road, but if we lower the standards to accomadate the majority of the cars, this will give them a place to run while lessening the risk of injuring others. While I do agree, a 9 second and under car or a car trapping at 140+ should have quite a bit more safety requirements than a 14 second 108mph car should, I feel anything 10 sec and over is about 98% of the cars out there and should be allowed to run with stock safety gear as long as it's in working order such as airbags, breaks etc. with maybe the exception of a DOT approved helmet. Under 10, then we can start talking about 6point harnesses, roll cages etc. And PLEASE let's get back to "at your own risk" racing at the tracks. As long as the track owners aren't negligent on things such as not cleaning up oil spills etc. there should be no reason for a track owner to be held liable for someone else's misfortune of a tire blowing or poor driving skills. Ok rant over, just things like this chaps my hide!

Last edited by ScottKelly911; 05-12-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
In europe the Porsches always start without engaging the clutch.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
Whats the exact step to bypass the clutch? unplug it? wire the wires together while plugged in?

The clutch switch interlock got only 2 wires. One goes to the ground the other to the ECU. But the logic is not explain into the wiring diagram. Try to open and closed circuit. With a jumper between the two wires... And you don't have to cut the wires just put a piece metal between the two pins of the plug...

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dixie
In europe the Porsches always start without engaging the clutch.
You are right Dixie. On the wiring diagram says "release only on USA transmission...)

Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 AM
dbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond repute
John - is that rule only for modded cars since many dead stock cars will "fail" it?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
I don't know the details of the rule - only that they check mine for it every time I go and when I asked, I was told that if it didn't work the car would fail the tech inspection.

I think if the car was not made with it originally, it's probably accepted as "stock" and allowed. I don't know the fine points of this rule...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
You guys have it easy...sounds like a lot of you would be sidelined up here. Are they making you use roll bars under 11.5?
No clutch checks, but definitely been kicked out in both cars as soon as we went quicker than 11.5 with no cage.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
If you go to a drag strip, they will not allow you to run like that. They will discover it during the car inspection.

Of all the dragstrips I have been to, that is the last thing they were
worried about John

Oh yeah, I love to reach in my driver window, rattle the shifter side to side to make sure it is in neutral, and hit the starter and let the engine
warm up a bit.

MK

Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I don't know the details of the rule - only that they check mine for it every time I go and when I asked, I was told that if it didn't work the car would fail the tech inspection.

I think if the car was not made with it originally, it's probably accepted as "stock" and allowed. I don't know the fine points of this rule...
Nor would they know if you told them you have a Euro spec version

That is an idotic rule to enforce