996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Our car (996TT) starts without the clutch!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
Our car (996TT) starts without the clutch!

A very pleasant surprise this morning. i had to do it twice just to make sure..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
blackonblacktt is infamous around these partsblackonblacktt is infamous around these parts
I once saw a car (for some really dingy chic) that did the same as a result of installing a remote start car alarm. She was showing her cool new toy that her ex boyfriend installed on her car (91 sentra which he also painted purple). As she pressed the button the car lurched to life and hit a brick wall. It was not going fast enough to cause much damage but it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

she had left it in gear and her boyfriend bypassed a switch to install the remote start.

So you may want to check if a previous owner installed a remote start system (that is unless you are the original owner)

Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
It wasnt a remote start.

I sat in the car and it turned over without me depressing the clutch.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Check the wires to the clutch switch under the dash. I wired mine together to bypass it.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
i think he meant a remote start was installed on the car and maybe thats why it starts without the clutch

Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I spoke to a local shop here about installing a remote start in a stick - it's not legal here. They said they would do it but that in every single case where they had the owner had an "accident" with it. I decided against it! Sometimes the switch is disabled in order to take load off of the crank while starting the car - it's not got much oil then. This is most beneficial if you've got a "heavy" clutch...

Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
If you go to a drag strip, they will not allow you to run like that. They will discover it during the car inspection.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How can they discover that at the drag strip?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The car has to tech inspected - it's one of the tests the car must pass in order to pass the tech inspection for admittance and get a number. They test mine for this every time. They will turn the key to start it without the clutch engaged - if the car turns over, you fail the tech inspection and do not get numbered to run.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 05-11-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Every track I've ever been to, they do a quick visual inspection. Just to see if nothing leaks...

Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Bypassed on both our cars as well, never had a problem passing tech at the track either.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Me too.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Does your car have the 'click' when you press the clutch down? I'd love to bypass whatever it is that makes that annoying 'click' every time. I assume it is a switch in the pedal to tell the car the clutch is depressed...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by giggalo
A very pleasant surprise this morning. i had to do it twice just to make sure..
Your problem has to be a sticky switch on the clutch pedal, part#997 613 109 00 and it is only about $25.00

Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
My local track has a very thorough tech inspection. I know they are pretty strict because when I ran an 11.51, they pulled me aside when I came around again and told me any faster (under 11.5) and I will need a roll bar, fire suit, SFI belts and fire extinguisher before I could run any more. They operate the track by the letter of the law. I have heard of looser regulated tracks, so I guess it just depends where you go and how strict they are there...but if you go to a track with your clutch operating like that, you should be prepared that you may not be allowed to run, if they check for it and enforce it.

2022 Cayenne White

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Our car (996TT) starts without the clutch!