996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Extreme Driving on Dateline NBC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 01:34 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
Re: Re: Crash Crazy - very appropriate name

Originally posted by KJM3
Now you're totally exaggerating.

There are lots of times when passing on the shoulder is safe. In terms of safety, why is passing on the shoulder any less safe than passing in any other lane?

I'm not saying it's legal, but to say it's the same as jumping off a bridge (which equals 100% death rate) is just a gross exaggeration.

- KJ

P.S. For the record, I don't pass on the shoulder.
I think the rest of us with common sense would agree that the shoulder isn't a driving lane for Christ's sake. When someone needs to pull into it for emergency purposes (break-down etc.) to stop, they're not expecting some ******** to come flying up the inside are they? I'll never forget watching a cop waiting at an exit ramp in bad traffic knicking everyone who was using the shoulder as an escape route. Too funny.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:00 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KJM3
Now you're totally exaggerating.

There are lots of times when passing on the shoulder is safe. In terms of safety, why is passing on the shoulder any less safe than passing in any other lane? If someone came and turned the solid line on the left hand side of the highway into a dotted line, everyone would be passing on it and no one would call it unsafe. Now you call it a "shoulder" and all of a sudden it's unsafe?

You must not have seen the footage. The suicidal maniac wasn't just passing slowed/stopped cars on the shoulder because he's taking an exit. Many people cheat like that.

The nutcake was racing around congested traffic using the shoulder which was unpaved in parts. He had maybe 3 inches of clearance between the semi truck on the left and the guard rail on the right. He was probably doing 1xx while the rest of traffic averaged 45. If I'm the trucker I would've squeezed him into the rail.

This was done with another car trailing at similar speed and filming.

The real killer in the show was the mother of a 27 yr old street racer who's still living at home with mama. Mama pays for his car mods. She said if her son dies from speeding then at least he's doing something he loves when he goes. She actually compared it to people crashing in airplanes. She doesn't see the difference between reckless driving vs airplane accidents.

Unbelievable.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by collin996tt
You must not have seen the footage. The suicidal maniac wasn't just passing slowed/stopped cars on the shoulder because he's taking an exit. Many people cheat like that.

The nutcake was racing around congested traffic using the shoulder which was unpaved in parts. He had maybe 3 inches of clearance between the semi truck on the left and the guard rail on the right. He was probably doing 1xx while the rest of traffic averaged 45. If I'm the trucker I would've squeezed him into the rail.

This was done with another car trailing at similar speed and filming.

The real killer in the show was the mother of a 27 yr old street racer who's still living at home with mama. Mama pays for his car mods. She said if her son dies from speeding then at least he's doing something he loves when he goes. She actually compared it to people crashing in airplanes. She doesn't see the difference between reckless driving vs airplane accidents.

Unbelievable.
That GT2 was probably doing over 140 on that shoulder. As far as parents go, I´d like to see Momma repeat that statement at her son´s funeral. Or, while at that, at some innocent victim´s funeral.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:09 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Crash
That GT2 was probably doing over 140 on that shoulder. As far as parents go, I´d like to see Momma repeat that statement at her son´s funeral. Or, while at that, at some innocent victim´s funeral.
Trading paint or brushing tires at 140 mph is all part of the game with professionals in certain venues. It sounds to me like this guy is a loose cannon that needs to be locked up for awhile. Not the sharpest tool in the tool shead if he is pulling this stunt on public highways.

Last edited by cjv; 10-17-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:57 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
Trading paint or brushing tires at 140 mph is all part of the game with professionals in certain venues. It sounds to me like this guy is a loose cannon that needs to be locked up for awhile. Not the sharpest tool in the tool shead if he is pulling this stunt on public highways.
Watch Extreme Gumball episode 4. I think he did damage the front bumper during one of his overtakings though. And the guy in the CL was going: "Waaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaa! Crazy motherf*****!" It´s sheer luck he didn´t crash.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:28 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by collin996tt
I've seen every episode of the Gumball, and I know which scene you are talking about.

HOWEVER, my comment was NOT in regards to what the Gumballer did, but towards hhazrati's comments that passing on the shoulder was the equivalent to jumping off a bridge.

- KJ

Old 10-18-2004, 04:42 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
as fun as it is to watch this guys if for one can't say I advocate this behavior on the street - take it to the track please for everyone's saftey

Old 10-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Cab Lover
Oweyea is infamous around these parts
The only place I've seen people pass on the breakdown lane is in Puerto Rico. Spent a few months there on an assignment and man was it crazy! If you can drive over it, it's fair game in Puerto Rico. Too bad I didn't have my TT with me.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:39 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Crash
Watch Extreme Gumball episode 4. I think he did damage the front bumper during one of his overtakings though. And the guy in the CL was going: "Waaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaa! Crazy motherf*****!" It´s sheer luck he didn´t crash.
SEEN IT

Old 10-19-2004, 01:18 AM
prova4re is infamous around these parts
The clip your talking about was filmed by Teckademics on the Cannonball run Europe last year. It was Lonman is his Gt2, followed by Dado in a rent Ford Mondao.

There dvd that covered the Cannonball is called Mischief Invasion.

Last edited by prova4re; 10-19-2004 at 01:20 AM.