996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Extreme Driving on Dateline NBC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 03:22 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Extreme Driving on Dateline NBC

Did anyone see it too? They did a show last nite on street racing, tuner shops, movies like Fast&Furious and the Mischief videos, and the recent fatal crash in Florida.

One video showed a silver 996TT passing cars on a really tight right shoulder. Is that someone on this board? That gives us a bad name.

No reckless driving on public streets please.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Passing on the shoulder? If the cars in front donテつエt want to move I usually pass them on the shoulder when itテつエs safe to do so. But I agree that way too many people drive like they own theyテつエre invincible.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:35 PM
hhazrati is infamous around these parts
Crash Crazy - very appropriate name

"I usually pass (them) on the shoulder when it is safe" by Crash Crazy

That is like saying "I usually jump off bridges when it is SAFE"
When is it safe to pass a car on the shoulder?

Old 10-16-2004, 08:37 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
The real question is "WHEN IS IT LEGAL TO PASS ON THE SHOULDER"?

Old 10-16-2004, 09:07 PM
GT3Scott is infamous around these partsGT3Scott is infamous around these parts
Maybe it is in Slovenia..

Old 10-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by offroad911
The real question is "WHEN IS IT LEGAL TO PASS ON THE SHOULDER"?
In Texas, it's legal to pass on the shoulder if the car in front of you is turning left and it's a 2 lane road / bi-directional road.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:26 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
I don't think that passing on the shoulder on a 4-6 lane I-State at 75-120MPH is legal anywhere, not even Slovenia!

In fact, I would bet any Texas Trooper would cite for passing on the shoulder of a 2-lane bidirectional with a left turning venicle if you were exceeding the speed limit?

Old 10-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
The only time I ever pass on the shoulder, is when the freeway is a parking lot, and I can see the exit I want to take (as in its only a few hundred feet away).

Old 10-16-2004, 11:20 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
that was gumball footage I believe

Old 10-17-2004, 01:19 AM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
I think so 2, soon2be993tt

Old 10-17-2004, 01:26 AM
We have the same traffic laws as anywhere else in the EU. I pass cars on the shoulder when I can see whatテつエs ahead of me and I usually only do it with the fast-lane warriors, who will keep pace with the cars in the slower lane and not move. Thatテつエs also illegal here btw. The speed limit here is 80 mph and I never did more than 100, while passing. Besides, most highways here are level with the ground, so in case of an emergency you can just drive onto the grass. And the shoulder is usually wider than the driving lanes. But yeah, I absolutely loved the Gumball footage, too bad I donテつエt have a deathwish like those guys

Old 10-17-2004, 01:58 AM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
It was probably Lonman (Rob) in his GT2 during the gumball, its his signature move.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:03 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Dabum
It was probably Lonman (Rob) in his GT2 during the gumball, its his signature move.
Yup, that's exactly who I was thinking, he always pulls the shoulder move in the Gumball. Crazy guy, but makes entertaining footage.

Old 10-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Definately Lonman. A CL55 passing a passenger car on the inside lane at 120 mph+ and Lonman passing the CL55 at 1xx mph

Old 10-17-2004, 10:00 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Re: Crash Crazy - very appropriate name

Originally posted by hhazrati
"I usually pass (them) on the shoulder when it is safe" by Crash Crazy

That is like saying "I usually jump off bridges when it is SAFE"
When is it safe to pass a car on the shoulder?
Now you're totally exaggerating.

There are lots of times when passing on the shoulder is safe. In terms of safety, why is passing on the shoulder any less safe than passing in any other lane? If someone came and turned the solid line on the left hand side of the highway into a dotted line, everyone would be passing on it and no one would call it unsafe. Now you call it a "shoulder" and all of a sudden it's unsafe?

Police use the shoulder all the time to pass cars, does that mean what they're doing is unsafe and a danger to fellow motorists? I think with our cars which can brake, accelerate and handle better than a police car, we are actually safer doing it in our TT's than a police officer would be in his cruiser.

I'm not saying it's legal, but to say it's the same as jumping off a bridge (which equals 100% death rate) is just a gross exaggeration.

- KJ

P.S. For the record, I don't pass on the shoulder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extreme Driving on Dateline NBC