996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSS10 Install and Set up Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
porscheralph is infamous around these parts
PSS10 Install and Set up Question

Hello - I have an 05 TT-S Cab and am getting ready to install PPS10's and have a question regarding the set up. In the Adrian Streather book "The Essential 996" he states that "when PSS9's are installed on 996 Turbo which are fitted with PSM the steering position sensor must also be re-calibrated using the Porsche system tester 2 (PST2)". Anybody have experience or knowledge of this? I am having an independent shop do the install. Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
You'll need an alignment when you are done...., mostly to adjust camber, but the toe could change with ride height too. Zeroing out the steering position sensor is a necessary part of the alignment process.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Ralph,

A bunch of us from the Northern VA and MD/DC area are meeting at the Rockville Starbuck's this Sunday, May 17th at 10AM if you'd like to join.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-dc-md-va.html

Berk

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Hello - I have an 05 TT-S Cab and am getting ready to install PPS10's and have a question regarding the set up. In the Adrian Streather book "The Essential 996" he states that "when PSS9's are installed on 996 Turbo which are fitted with PSM the steering position sensor must also be re-calibrated using the Porsche system tester 2 (PST2)". Anybody have experience or knowledge of this? I am having an independent shop do the install. Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Berk - thanks for the invite but I am on my way to Bethany Beach for the week. Let me know when the next event is and I will be there.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Ralph, Sounds great buddy. Have a great time at Bethaney. We actually do these GTG's every other Sunday at 10AM. This week is Rockville, the next one on May 31st is in Tyson's Corner. Go back to that link and it'll show you the 2009 calendar season of Get-Togethers.

Berk

Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Berk - I saw the link and I will try to be there on the 31st! It is only about 7 mile from my place.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
This is the first I have heard about re-calibrating the steering sensor after an alignment. I also would like to hear more input on this.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
The service-repair manual of the 996TT states very clear that any change in suspension(shocks,coils,etc)and of course any allignment correction should be followed by recalibration of steering wheel angle sensor...This is very common at any vehicle having a DSC or PSM or any other stability system...

Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
BallinGPM is infamous around these parts
FYI- I mentioned this to the indy Porsche shop here in the city and was met with blank stares... Double check your shop knows what they're doing