996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Anyone else ever have this problem?

My left side radiator vent hose keeps popping off. (Done it twice, expensive and time consuming!!!) It seems the aluminum hose end is NOT fitting tightly into the plastic (yes plastic!) radiator end and the clip is NOT holding it in either. My Indy told me that this is sort of common on higher mileage cars and there is an updated or superceded radiator and vent hose now. The vent hose is the 5/8 to 3/4in rubber hose the goes from the radiator to the aluminum line in the wheel well. The clip goes over the plastic female end on the radiator and the hose has an aluminum end with an O ring and 2 "ears" that the clip grabs when it is inserted. Does anyone know the part number for this superceded radiator? (Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic).

Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
My left side radiator vent hose keeps popping off. (Done it twice, expensive and time consuming!!!) It seems the aluminum hose end is NOT fitting tightly into the plastic (yes plastic!) radiator end and the clip is NOT holding it in either. My Indy told me that this is sort of common on higher mileage cars and there is an updated or superceded radiator and vent hose now. The vent hose is the 5/8 to 3/4in rubber hose the goes from the radiator to the aluminum line in the wheel well. The clip goes over the plastic female end on the radiator and the hose has an aluminum end with an O ring and 2 "ears" that the clip grabs when it is inserted. Does anyone know the part number for this superceded radiator? (Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic).
I do not know the Part number you are speaking of. I would suggest using some safety wire instead of the clip to hold it until the final fix is taken care of. You can twist the end tight so it doesn't just popoff. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Thanks, but I thought of that, and being that this is the second time this has had to come apart and I've spilled $150 worth of coolant al over the road, I'm looking to fix it permanently. I guess I'll wait until my Indy gets back from vacation. I'll post the superceded part number if there is one.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
When I was replacing my center radiator after striking a groundhog on track at well over 135mhp, I found the hose to radiator connect has to be perfect or it will not allow proper connection. Also, the aluminum ends wear as that aluminum is very soft, and the plastic of the radiator end may also now be out of spec for the hose to fit properly. You'll probably have to replace the hose and the radiator both to have 100% confidence it's "fixed".

Mike

Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
When I was replacing my center radiator after striking a groundhog on track at well over 135mhp, I found the hose to radiator connect has to be perfect or it will not allow proper connection. Also, the aluminum ends wear as that aluminum is very soft, and the plastic of the radiator end may also now be out of spec for the hose to fit properly. You'll probably have to replace the hose and the radiator both to have 100% confidence it's "fixed".

Mike

Exactly Mike, The aluminum end isn't fitting very good now and the plastic on the radiator isn't looking all that great either. I can feel the O'ring seat but the fitting still moves around and the clip BARELY grabs the ears on the alimunim end, which ultimately IS the problem. If that clip moves AT ALL, it will not grab the "ears". I was told the "updated" or "superceded" version has a plastic hose end that goes into the plastic radiator housing now and it doesn't wear as fast? It's $450 for the radiator and $25 for the new hose. I'm tempted to do both sides as it seems inevitable, but I need tires now too, so maybe I'll just do the bad side for now.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Ok, this is what I've learned today. The HOSE has been superceded, NOT the radiator. I just ordered it and should have it Monday. If it fixes it, I will post part numbers and results and maybe pics.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Good to Know. I had a smiliar problem with my factory boost hoses a while back and was told to bend up the ear on the hose part with a small flathead so the clip will grab it more. Worked very well. Maybe you can try it on your rad hose, they look like a similar design?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM
The ears are CAST into the fitting, they are not metal straps, nothing to bend. I will take better pics when I get the hose and finish it.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Hopefully it works for you...

I don't know if this applies to your case, but back when I had a Supra TT, the IC hose would pop off at times. T-bolt clamp did the trick...

Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Wow, that is one crappy cell phone pic!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by s14roller
Hopefully it works for you...

I don't know if this applies to your case, but back when I had a Supra TT, the IC hose would pop off at times. T-bolt clamp did the trick...

Does not apply to my case. I do however agree with the T-bolt clamps...unbeatable. Hose clamps are for house plumbing!!! The Germans saw fit to connect all their hoses with metal ends that are held in by clips...

Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by vrybad
Wow, that is one crappy cell phone pic!

Don't you have some work to do???

Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
I wish!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
OK. Hose came today. Car is back together. Still need to find some coolant and begin the arduous tack of bleeding. (Made a slight modification, for insurance purposes). The aluminum ended hose is original, the hose with the plastic end is the superceded hose, part number exposed.

Attached Images      
Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
OK. Hose came today. Car is back together. Still need to find some coolant and begin the arduous tack of bleeding. (Made a slight modification, for insurance purposes). The aluminum ended hose is original, the hose with the plastic end is the superceded hose, part number exposed.

Looks like this hose (and my little "insurance wire") did the trick. 2 good rides a no leaky...in case someone has this issue the part number for the "superceded" hose is: 996-106-137-77. I think you can see it in the picture, I just put it here in text so a search could find it
Thanks for listening!!! Now back to our regularly scheduled posting...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else ever have this problem?