996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive K24/18G 996tt vs LPE C6ZO6 660hp *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
why is driver skill such a big part of extracting max performance out of a Z03 alone? why not a 996tt? Is the RWD/traction issues that causes the variances in performances? I have personally witnessed a k24/18g car put 3 car lengths on a tune+intake Z03...The z03 had 500whp according to the owner and the 996tt dynoed 520AWHP on DD dyno.
Wrt the driver, yes...it's because of the RWD and traction that the Z06's have. Also has to do with the shift points. A lot of drivers do not shift at a high enough rpm in the Z06. They instead, short-shift, like the guy in the video did (at least that how it sounds).

I have owned both and I will tell you that a Z06 is much more difficult to accelerate properly than a 996TT is, even one that's been converted to RWD.

BLKMGK already responded to the rest of your post and I agree with his assessment.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Nice video Scott! He even missed one shift but this guy can drive for sure. I was not aware that these cars are capable of hitting that trap being stock. Sounds like he had modified exhaust though.
No, he had a stock exhaust. Other than the DRs, that car was bone stock all the way down to the paper filter, just like Jamie's car was. The stock Z06 exhaust opens up the exhaust flaps at 3500 rpm automatically...which it makes it much louder.

Bro, remember...these cars make 450 rwhp, a ton of torque all throughout their 7k rpm powerband, and only weigh 3200 lbs. It all adds up.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-16-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Don't we have a Corvette or GT-R section somewhere?
Paulie...maybe you should go take a nap.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
BTW - "This is the sound of Underground" Had to have it

Didn't realize the Z06 was down to 3200lbs! These days that is just plain sick with all of teh safety crap weighing them down! Is the factory releasing them at a true 450HP or are they coming out any hotter? I honestly considered one but I truly love forced induction for it's more readily available upgrades in power\performance. In an emissions state that is important to me, H/C cars are going to be rough to get through a true emissions test here My fingers are crossed that my 996 has no issues as I understand the rear O2s are shut off.

Anyway, fine cars and plenty fast. If I were to get beat by something like that I wouldn't be upset about it unless they were jerks about it. Everyone loses a race once in awhile and to lose to something like that isn't shameful. We're all supposed to be car guys here, props where they are due no matter the marque. Frankly I just want to be able to drive something fast without being hassled and if it were a Hyundai instead of a Porsche or Toyota or Domestic brand I'm fine with that too. <shrug>

Old 05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
BTW - "This is the sound of Underground" Had to have it

Didn't realize the Z06 was down to 3200lbs! These days that is just plain sick with all of teh safety crap weighing them down!
It's actually 3,179 lbs, but will vary 10-20 with the interior package you get.

Is the factory releasing them at a true 450HP or are they coming out any hotter?
They are almost all making 505 HP at the crank. The new SAE standards that they are measure them with are extremely strict. Sure, you'll hear of guys claiming 470-480 rwhp from stock Zs, but those runs are made on overly-optimistic dynos. 440-450 rwhp is the standard.

I honestly considered one but I truly love forced induction for it's more readily available upgrades in power\performance. In an emissions state that is important to me, H/C cars are going to be rough to get through a true emissions test here My fingers are crossed that my 996 has no issues as I understand the rear O2s are shut off.
You picked the right car, bro. I LOVE the 996 and 997 Turbos and will get another one someday. Porsches are my overall, favorite cars. The Z06, however, is a monster that drives much better than people think. You can get a no BS 30 mpg on the freeway out of them while still being capable of running high 10's/low 11's with the right launch.

Anyway, fine cars and plenty fast. If I were to get beat by something like that I wouldn't be upset about it unless they were jerks about it. Everyone loses a race once in awhile and to lose to something like that isn't shameful. We're all supposed to be car guys here, props where they are due no matter the marque. Frankly I just want to be able to drive something fast without being hassled and if it were a Hyundai instead of a Porsche or Toyota or Domestic brand I'm fine with that too. <shrug>
Nice post. I'm a car guy and definitely not a brand wh0re. I love all fast cars, but do favor Porsche most of all.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
People don't realize how fast Vettes can be with such little power. My brother was going 10.5s @ 128 (letting off) barely making 530rwhp. His best mph was on a 10.6 pass and it was at a 132mph. He beat many 600-650+rwhp cars in Houston just because of the fact that his powerband was perfect and the car weighed 3200-3300lbs with a driver. Hell from a 60 roll he jumps 3 cars on me if I'm not brake boosting. Granted at 150-160mph some of the cars would catch him, but he was always out of it by a 130 or so to be safe. We know that they could catch them though because it took a ~700rwhp Supra till a 160mph to come by home FINALLY! The Supra owner claimed traction issues, but Matt reminded him that his Vette was dancing just as bad as the Supra was.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
nvno1 is infamous around these parts
The link says Z06 intake/tune.....then the post reads heads,huge cam,bolt ons. Which is it? Those are also the stock rims on the Z06. Does it have the GY run craps on it or is there a decent tire under it? These two discrepancys can make a huge difference in the outcome. One thing is for certain though. The sound of that Z06 is second to none.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I dunno' the G35\350Z has a pretty sweet engine note. If the damned thing had turbos I'd have bought one - and no not at Skyline prices. I just cannot get past a certain feeling of stigma about the Corvette despite a friend of mine racing one in T1. <shrug> I don't hate on them though, just not for me. Hopefully the 996 will suit me for awhile to come.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 AM
anthracite is just really niceanthracite is just really niceanthracite is just really niceanthracite is just really nice
The important thing about dyno numbers when it comes to racing is AREA UNDER THE CURVE. It is more important than peak power. First car can have a higher peak dyno number but the second car have a more area under the curve power band>>>>>>> the second car will win (consider both driver skills are the same).

For example on street racing, two cars will use it power band from 5000 rpm to 7000rpm. Both cars make the same peak power. The car with the more average power from 5000rpm to 7000rpm will win (consider both driver skills are the same)

Originally Posted by vbmw335
why is driver skill such a big part of extracting max performance out of a Z03 alone? why not a 996tt? Is the RWD/traction issues that causes the variances in performances? I have personally witnessed a k24/18g car put 3 car lengths on a tune+intake Z03...The z03 had 500whp according to the owner and the 996tt dynoed 520AWHP on DD dyno.

Last edited by anthracite; 05-17-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Comparing same cars with same mods in 1/4 mile and street racing really sux

Old 05-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by anthracite
The important thing about dyno numbers when it comes to racing is AREA UNDER THE CURVE. It is more important than peak power. First car can have a higher peak dyno number but the second car have a more area under the curve power band>>>>>>> the second car will win (consider both driver skills are the same).

For example on street racing, two cars will use it power band from 5000 rpm to 7000rpm. Both cars make the same peak power. The car with the more average power from 5000rpm to 7000rpm will win (consider both driver skills are the same)
Ding Ding Ding! Winna'!

My Supra made over 700 Horse at the wheels on high octane. The power curve was STEEP and I saw over a hundred horse increase in a very small RPM range - it was fairly vertical. At a light if a punk in a Honda timed it right and caught me napping he could get out on me pretty good. Then boost came on and I'd run up on him like a great white after a scuba snack - unless I lost traction which was actually a serious issue without traction control. I was looking VERY hard at a smaller turbo for street driving - I had bought one just before the car got trashed actually.

Why? Because I was octane limited with a larger turbo and a smaller turbo would have a much larger broader power curve. I'd probably still be able to make around the same peak power on pump. On a drag strip however where I launched with anti-lag and a 2-step I was in the power band right away - if I didn't bog - so the bigger turbo made sense. After I was moving each shift kept me in the powerband at WOT.

Having a broader powerband, especially for the street, works very well. In a perfect world on the track you could perhaps space out gear ratios more for fewer shifts with a better powerband. The peak numbers are awesome for the "mine's bigger" arguments but it's very possible for a car with less peak HP but more total HP to beat a car with higher peak horsepower. The broader powerband is also much more fun to drive. What sux is turbos that are too small and run out of breath at higher RPMs

Old 05-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
great video. That ZO6 sounds evil.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
This is called mind of an engineer. Very true. Area under the curve=work, law of physics.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
the important thing about dyno numbers when it comes to racing is area under the curve. It is more important than peak power. First car can have a higher peak dyno number but the second car have a more area under the curve power band>>>>>>> the second car will win (consider both driver skills are the same).

agreed!!!!!!1