996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New suspension - opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Few more questions...

It appears I will carry out the following upgrade so:

1. PSSX
2. SWAYS - Oem / upgrade sizewise?
3. Do PSSX come with the top cup or do they fit into oem part?
4. Price of a whole package - one stop shop to buy it all?

Last edited by Terminator; 05-18-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
PSSX versus KW's? The reason I am asking is I have a KW’s suspension importer and tuner locally.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Talk with your tuner about the KW vs PSSX comparison as far as what you intend to do with the car. I believe the KW's may be a better shock for street and track. PSSX do come with the top cup. Sway bars come in various sizes. Personally, I think the bigger the better for the turbo's weight. I haven't followed prices lately so can't help you there.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
If you don't mind a ride that's on the stiffer side but not bone jarring... i would go JIC over the PSS9's... they are great on the street and definitely perform better for you on those occasional track days.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Such pain to decide...

This side of the pond I can get; PSS10’s for 2700 Euros. I can get PSS9’s for 1600 Euros. Or I can get KW3’s for 3000 Euros.

What do I fit?

Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
For the 300 Euro difference, I think the KW is probably your best bet. The PSS9 and 10 are almost the same as far as performance goes. What did the local tuner with the KW's say about which platform would best support your intended car usage?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
For the 300 Euro difference, I think the KW is probably your best bet. The PSS9 and 10 are almost the same as far as performance goes. What did the local tuner with the KW's say about which platform would best support your intended car usage?
Larry, the problem is, he only sells KW's so he is biased. I am leaning towards KW's. But to be honest I am also considering Bilstein PSS9 (so cheap) if not much in it comparative to PSS10's performance wise. Also, Bilstein is the 911TT OEM Porsche supplier after all. I will have a drive in KW equipped car latter on this week, hopefully that should make selection easier.

Also KW guy insists on thicker roll bars. But Bilstein guy told me; no need as the kit will stiffen side roll plenty enough for the street. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Terminator; 05-26-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Take a look at FVD spec Pss9s, a bit stiffer springs fix a lot of the known issues. Given the car's rear weigh bias. Slanting the car a bit forward gives both a nice look and give steh rears a bit more needed travel.

Add some H&R rear bars to dial out understeer no matter what setup you go with. They're cheap, adjustable and really help.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 AM
1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of
KW, Bilstein, JIC Cross... etc are great choices, but there are definately a lot more choices out there in the same, if not, better caliber than those; for example, Ohlin, but yet, that's old news, I'm talking something like Quantum, Biot, Aragosta...etc, now that's a lot more exciting and different to try with IMHO.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 AM
How about Eibach?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 AM
If you are going to use the car only on the street then PSS9s will be fine. But if you intend to track the car, you will quickly find out that they can not handle the car's weight properly under those conditions. The re-valved FVD solution may be better for this. Riding in a KW car before making your decision is probably a very good idea. Personally, I wouldn't spend extra for PSS10s unless that is what FVD is offering. I have ridden in a re-valved PSS9 car and they were completely different and way better than my regular set. Since I track my car, I bought a set of Motons that I will be installing later this year.

Last edited by landjet; 05-26-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Give me a ring and I can walk you through all the options.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The Revalved PSS9 car Larry rode in was mine... Everyone that's ridden in or driven my car has come away with a totally different opinion of PSS9s.

Lot's of options out there to suit your needs... I like what I have, as it works for me... Make sure you get the car corner-weighted and properly aligned, regardless which route you go.

Mike

Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Terminator, thanks for the call.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I personally think MOTONs are way overkill for a street car... You're going to have $7-8K in a set of Moton's properly setup on the car. PSS9s are fine for a street car that you want to handle better, but you should think of a total suspension package to make the car really feel connected... Minimum additions to the shock/spring should be swaybars/droplinks!

Mike

Hey Mike:

What sway bar would you suggest GT3, H&R or Eibach? Thank you for your help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New suspension - opinions