996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New suspension - opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
New suspension - opinions

In view of my H&R sagging and clicking/knocking issue I have decided to upgrade my suspension.

Used to be track junky but won’t be doing more than few events per year now – getting too old and scared... !

1. I want improved handling and don’t mind stiff ride (within reason).

2. Car needs to be street-able but don’t care for GT comfort. At the moment my car’s ride-height is 117mm (sagged I guess); don’t want to go lower/higher as I like the car how it sits at the moment.

3. Sidebar; I find my car a bit float-y at speed - I wonder if H&R lowering springs not matched to stock shocks rate - as shocks are slightly compressed - are causing this? But then I’ve heard people complaining about this issue on stock suspension... anyone?

So; X73/74? What is X74?

PSS 9 / PSS 10’s? Can someone shed some light on the actual handling differences between X73 and PSS9's (without the adjustability factor).

I think anything else upwards would be an overkill for me.

Educated opinions please..., thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
While I can't help you with your decision as I am trying to make the same one, I have heard that the H&R springs (and most lowering springs) move the stock shock OUT of it's optimum operating range, therefore decreasing lifespan., which is why I elected NOT to do this, especially after your story. I am looking for PSS-9's maybe PSS-10's. It seems most here that have them, like them and have had geat success with these coilovers as they do everything fairly well. Not the pefect shock for a full time track junky but excellent for the street and SOME track duty. There is also a fan base for the JIC and KW also. Do a search. Just my .02.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Stock suspension is floaty. PSS9's-10's are great street coilovers but not that great on track. The springs are too soft for track because of the turbo's weight. JIC's would be a better choice because they are adjustable like PSS9-10's, but they offer you a choice of springs to pick from. KW's are similar I believe. Anything above these 3 and you are talking a substantial cost increase.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have the JIC's 8/12kg and a full set of addendums (front and rear adjustable sways, control arms that are adjustable, very beefy links for the sway bars...all form Dan at Vivid).

I love the car, drive it on the street every day. It is NOT soft, but it is not bone jarring either in my mind. Now, if your roads are bad, this will let you know. But, the payback is wonderful performance for the normal track guy up to instructor level. Even then, my instructors have loved it. Sure, I could go motons', etc, but that for my needs was overkill. The street use of the car would then suffer and/or my wallet (the latter mostly).

Dan and JIC have fixed JIC's support issues it seems. Search. PSS10's are superb, but you need to add a few things to them. Mikelly probably has the most well sorted pssX car on the forum and his has a sticky thread to read. I'd PM him. the Bilsteins have the edge in percieved support...but to me, I preferred the JIC specs.

Jeff

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
what are the needed added things to the pss9 or pss10 suspension?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by landjet
Stock suspension is floaty. PSS9's-10's are great street coilovers but not that great on track. The springs are too soft for track because of the turbo's weight. JIC's would be a better choice because they are adjustable like PSS9-10's, but they offer you a choice of springs to pick from. KW's are similar I believe. Anything above these 3 and you are talking a substantial cost increase.
Floaty feeling gone with PSSX?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
What about Motons? Hit up 996TT_STEVO - he's in Scotland and has them. His car handles like on rails.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I personally think MOTONs are way overkill for a street car... You're going to have $7-8K in a set of Moton's properly setup on the car. PSS9s are fine for a street car that you want to handle better, but you should think of a total suspension package to make the car really feel connected... Minimum additions to the shock/spring should be swaybars/droplinks!

Mike

Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
see at least here in florida I dont think sway bars are needed.. we dont really have curves in our roads... just straight and flat.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Doesn't matter... Sway bars arm as much for keeping the car planted in a straight line as they are under cornering... You do have off ramps in Flordia, right?

I did a bike camp about 10 years ago up in Sanford, And there were certainly some curvey roads there!

Mike

Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 PM
orlando333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I personally think MOTONs are way overkill for a street car... You're going to have $7-8K in a set of Moton's properly setup on the car. PSS9s are fine for a street car that you want to handle better, but you should think of a total suspension package to make the car really feel connected... Minimum additions to the shock/spring should be swaybars/droplinks!

Mike
what do brands would you recommend for sways and drops

Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Floaty feeling gone with PSSX?
Yes, and you can dial them to your comfort level..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I did sways, drops, control arms , and JIC. The JIC have mounts for tuning that can be added to the PSSX product, but once you do that you are into equal if not more $.

It seems the final solution for our cars is JIC, PSS9/10, or kw3. Just seems to be where people fall.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by orlando333
what do brands would you recommend for sways and drops
TRG has both. So does Tarret. Both are known for quality. Many use H&R sways but they don't make drop links.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
ClayMan has a spectacular aura aboutClayMan has a spectacular aura about
Somebody needs to make springs with a milder drop than H&R

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New suspension - opinions