996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seeing some crazy predictions on the Corvette C6 Z06!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Seeing some crazy predictions on the Corvette C6 Z06!!

500hp, 500 ft lbs of torque - 2900lbs!!!!

0-60 is supposed to be a hair over 3 seconds!

Too bad it's a GM, and you have to be 55 years old to own one.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Re: Seeing some crazy predictions on the Corvette C6 Z06!!

Originally posted by teutonictrio
500hp, 500 ft lbs of torque - 2900lbs!!!!

0-60 is supposed to be a hair over 3 seconds!

Too bad it's a GM, and you have to be 55 years old to own one.
a Z06 is not an old mans car like the regular vettes are. The car is supposed to be priced north of 60K.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:25 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
the C5 Z06 was a monster i wonder what this new C6 Z06 has in mind

Old 10-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by KSA Turbo
the C5 Z06 was a monster i wonder what this new C6 Z06 has in mind
... rumors, rumors - LS7 engine (announcement below) is rumored to be same spec as Ford GTO - 6.3L V8, 500+hp, 500+lbft of torque. The Z06 frame has to be structurally reengineered to make it work. It is also lightened to 2,900 lbs. Expect 0-60mph around 3 seconds or so, top speed over 200 mph.
That is 'supercar' territory.

Price for all of this: less than $65k.

Lingenfelter is also modifying the C6 to 650hp using twin turbo's.
Stock C6 has LS-2 engine with 405hp, 400lbft of torque, 6.0L V8 as pictured.

GM LS7 announcement

Old 10-18-2004, 02:38 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by teutonictrio
... rumors, rumors - LS7 engine (announcement below) is rumored to be same spec as Ford GTO - 6.3L V8, 500+hp, 500+lbft of torque. The Z06 frame has to be structurally reengineered to make it work. It is also lightened to 2,900 lbs. Expect 0-60mph around 3 seconds or so, top speed over 200 mph.
That is 'supercar' territory.

Price for all of this: less than $65k.

Lingenfelter is also modifying the C6 to 650hp using twin turbo's.
Stock C6 has LS-2 engine with 405hp, 400lbft of torque, 6.0L V8 as pictured.

GM LS7 announcement
[/QUOT]

NOW THATS A THREAT

Old 10-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Banned for Eternity
fyi, there are 31 '05 Vettes on ebay right now!!!

I thought they were selling well!

Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
It's still GM junk and when you go to get it serviced good luck. I wonder if the C6 will rattle a little less than the other vette's I've had?

Old 10-18-2004, 09:31 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Gunther
It's still GM junk and when you go to get it serviced good luck. I wonder if the C6 will rattle a little less than the other vette's I've had?
my dad has had his C5 for 2 years now hasn't had it in for service once other then typical oil changes. Hasn't had a problem. Best bang for the buck you can get.

A lot better shape then the 745 he had that went in 10 x's in 6 months and is currently in negotiations to have BMW buy it back.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
They claim the C6 is selling well. The dealers won't let them go without a big mark up. The Z06 markup will take that car into 6 figure territory I bet.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I've also read that they intend to offer a sequential gearbox in the Z06. That would be pretty cool!

Roy

Old 10-18-2004, 10:09 PM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
It will be an amazing car. Now we just need to get some finalizing on price and power figures.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:10 PM
DT04R is infamous around these parts
Howdy Folks!

Here's the current speculation - this is compiled from various sources, many of which include D. Hill (the chief Vette designer) as a reference:

The engine - currently designated as a "LS7", is a 427 (7.0L) . The original motor being knocked around was a 6.4L variation of the new C6 LS2. Given the history of the 427 from racing to older production cars, this makes by far the most sense. No DoD or 3V tricks, just straight up displacement - though several sources have said they're still having some troubles meeting the 500HP goal if you factor in ULEV status (which DH is a must) and NHV requirements. These motors will be HAND-built at a new GM plant.

There was some talk of Aluminum hydroformed rails for the chassis - several sources have indicated this very likely won't happen (weight savings vs. cost). The current weight being kicked around is _over_ 3000# and in fact they're saying it will likely wind up very close to the previous generation Z06 (of course with much more power). Though that's still very light given those cars weigh in at about 3100 lbs (factory claimed 3115). Also the use of other "exotics", like carbon fiber for body panels/hood/etc., sounds like it's not a go.

A drivetrain engineer reported that the rear wheels for the new Z06 are 19" x 12/13, and the planned rubber setup will be a 345/30 rear - the assumption is a staggered offset, likely with a 18" front running a 275/35. This same individual said the front brakes they saw on the suspension prototypes were roughly 14" discs, and the cals looked to be fixed, large 6 piston setups (again, just a prototype).

The Z06 variant is supposed to have dedicated fender panels to correctly fit the new wheel/tire setup. Also specific to the Z06 is suspension, hood (or possibly just front fascia, apparently there's a scoop of some sort planned), drivetrain, seating and other small cosmetic touches.

GM will either try to make the car "affordable" in which case I see just the new LS7, fender flairs with the different wheel/tire package, and suspension upgrades, but all other components shared with the base C6 - or they may try to take the car really upmarket, in which case we might see some additional weight saving measures, dedicated brakes, additional body work (a special rear was seen circulating at GM).

Motor/wheel upgrade over the C6? I'm thinking low, low 60's - if the car evolves into something that only shares like 20% of the C6 body work, and has several specific interior items (like seats0 and upgraded brakes, coolers, etc.? I'm thinking easy low-to-mid 70's. (Which would still be a heck of a bargin).

However, since it's still going to be derived from a platform that GM will churn out at 25K a year, it doesn't interest me (which is why I'm shopping 996/TT's, also considering a SRT Viper). Plus I'm not a fan of the new C6 styling, though the Z06 version may correct some of my issues. Dave Hill was quoted as saying "even your grandma will be able to tell the difference [between the C6 and C6/Z06]"

Cheers!

Old 10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
I have no problem with the amount of C6s that will be produced. That ensures an active aftermarket for modifications. I owned 3 C5s including one highly modified Z06 and never had any issues with any of them. I am not even close to 55 years old and most of my friends with vettes are younger than me. I will have a C6 Z06 in my garage. I will probably wait for a 2nd year car though.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned for Eternity
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
They claim the C6 is selling well. The dealers won't let them go without a big mark up. The Z06 markup will take that car into 6 figure territory I bet.
There are 31 on ebay right now, none of which are above MSRP, and several below, new.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Scott in H-town

They are selling at sticker out here :dunno: Some dealers list them at above MSRP but like any car, if you are a smart buyer they can be had at MSRP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seeing some crazy predictions on the Corvette C6 Z06!!