996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Something New? - Custom CarPuter Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Smile Something New? - Custom CarPuter Install

Guys,

Something I've had in mind for a long time Is coming closer to reality. Ever wanted one device to run GPS, MP3 audio system, OBII scanner/logger, track timer, backup/forward camera (with recording), DVD & Internet access In your dash? Imagine the car synchronizing your latest music on the home PC while it sits in the garage. Or over the internet via a cell card. There are off the shelf devices that can do some of these things, but this is the start of my custom solution. I've got a fair way left to go but I'm over a big hurdle here.

Yes that's an 8" touchscreen monitor in the double DIN slot. Stripped the LCD, enhanced the display, repackaged into dash. Some cosmetic work left to complete. The front-end is a freeware package called RoadRunner. Hats off to Guino on MP3car for this incredible piece of software. Thanks also to those on the mp3car forums where I've gleaned a lot of knowledge and Inspiration.

I'll update this as I move along.

Attached Images      

Last edited by Danyol; 05-18-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Very cool. Wish I had your know how and confidence when it comes to electronics and computers.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
How are you doing the net access? 3G via one of the cell companies or something?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I want that!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:26 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Very very cool. In fact you might be able to package this thing along with Guino and make some jingle. Are you going to be able to incorporate a 60-130 timer or 1/4 mile timer? A/F Ratios on either bank? That is one of the coolest in car navi/comp that I've seen since my Audi's RNS.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:26 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Todd,no you can't have it.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by justinmm2
How are you doing the net access? 3G via one of the cell companies or something?
I'm running this off a mini-laptop at the moment; I plug in my Verizon 3G card and it's on. Haven't decided on the final location for the computer - under the passenger seat or the glove box. I'm concerned about cooling in the glove.

Originally Posted by TXGold
Very very cool. In fact you might be able to package this thing along with Guino and make some jingle. Are you going to be able to incorporate a 60-130 timer or 1/4 mile timer? A/F Ratios on either bank? That is one of the coolest in car navi/comp that I've seen since my Audi's RNS.
I'm running XP, my OBD program (CarCode) will run and link up to the car. I've pulled codes with it but it has logging, display and graph functions. If it comes off the OBD connectior you can set up interval logging (A/F, timing ect all there) CarCode is not very well documented but appears to be capable. The cool part would be linking this data to the GPS log (poor man's telemetry?).

I believe Guino has set up a company to make a packaged 2 DIN dash PC (Hardware/software) based on his software; nothing in production yet.
A customized TT version is what I'm working on based on off the shelf hardware; not really looking for a commercial venture, it wouldn't be fun any more
There's much work left to do to work out the bugs (have some issues with the MP3 software based on WinAmp for example).

The beauty of running on a PC, you're only limited by the processing power.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I figure it was only a matter of time....imaging a mac mini or a pc, a radio, xm/net stuff, nav.....and perhaps your work calendar on tap....good and bad....restaurant reviews, email, in the end...it will happen. The real question is in a 996TT, do you really get one of these cars to push dash buttons or not. I just listen to music on my commute, but just as often as not I want the radio OFF. I love the car sans intrusions.

jeff

(very, very cool job, though...very)

Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Jeff,

I use my car as a daily driver so having MP3, Sirius and NAV, Bluetooth phone Interface I think just modernizes the car. Car related utilities would also be my interest (OBII ect; a maintenance log is already part of the RoadRunner touchscreen Interface).

Then the alter-ego; track and performance software can be pulled up for the DE day, "the scenic route home" or trip to Mexico

I like simplicity in many things too, I wouldn't bring work related stuff into the TT. I don't own a Blackberry for example, all my colleagues use them, I've drawn a line.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I figure it was only a matter of time....imaging a mac mini or a pc, a radio, xm/net stuff, nav.....and perhaps your work calendar on tap....good and bad....restaurant reviews, email, in the end...it will happen. The real question is in a 996TT, do you really get one of these cars to push dash buttons or not. I just listen to music on my commute, but just as often as not I want the radio OFF. I love the car sans intrusions.

jeff

(very, very cool job, though...very)

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Danyol
I don't own a Blackberry for example, all my colleagues use them, I've drawn a line.
You are my hero. +1 for the nice install. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
ait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant future
Its all good until someone implements a GT-R skin for it.

Ed

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Just doesn't look as cool

Originally Posted by ait109
Its all good until someone implements a GT-R skin for it.

Ed

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by jhuang25
I've seen the PC modules, may end up there once the system is working the way I want. Nice having the laptop to carry in and configure/ install software as a standalone. Guino is working on a self contained unit including the monitor, PC and softwre all integrated in one unit.

The monitor I stripped down was a Lilliput 8" unit, I added 3M polarization and brightness enhancing films internally to it. Neither Xenarc nor Lilliput make a transreflective (usable in high brightness areas) unit in 8" yet so I tried the next best thing. It's certainly a lot brighter and visible in direct sunlight than the laptop display.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I love your set up. And, I completely agree with your plans/use. My post was too negative. Did not mean that...sorry. I have a ton of junk in the avic-d3x too....when you need nav, it is nice. Etc.

Your setup is super cool and I just may have to copy you. Sincerest form of flattery sir. Nice job!

Jeff

Originally Posted by Danyol
Jeff,

I use my car as a daily driver so having MP3, Sirius and NAV, Bluetooth phone Interface I think just modernizes the car. Car related utilities would also be my interest (OBII ect; a maintenance log is already part of the RoadRunner touchscreen Interface).

Then the alter-ego; track and performance software can be pulled up for the DE day, "the scenic route home" or trip to Mexico

I like simplicity in many things too, I wouldn't bring work related stuff into the TT. I don't own a Blackberry for example, all my colleagues use them, I've drawn a line.