996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pentosin Fun Facts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
mike, things kinda slow for ya?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Oak, I am very busy! Just hate it when you lead a horse to water and, well you know

Old 05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Car is home safe and sound. Fluid in both front and rear reservoirs has the same appearance as out of the bottle Petosin, sorry no nasty crud found yet. No whining from pump, no issues with clutch. as I stated before - they flushed it when they worked on it. I may decide to have it flushed again - we'll see. I am going to speak to a shop tomorrow about it. The interesting thing was that the front resevoir didn't lose ANY fluid. The line that was leaking must have been one leading right from the pump to the clutch slave. <shrug>

We shall see how this goes, time will tell. I have some of the fluid that was used temporarily and I might try mixing it in a glass jar to gauge reaction. Plastic seldom holds up to hydraulic fluids of any sort that I've found...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The Solo cup did indeed leak at the bottom and made a hell of a mess... The "goo" was prettymuch consistant with that of Dextron ATF.

Mike

Old 05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
It's funny, I get the distinct sense that no one is really going to be happy, save me, unless major problems ensue and soon! I hope to disappoint and if I don't I'll deal with it.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Don't feel bad Mr Magic. This is a very expensive arena we are playing in and not too many people are willing to experiment as the penalties are stratospheric. Most depend on advice from those that have been there. I don't think anyone wishes you ill will, we've/they've just seen this stuff before.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
It's funny, I get the distinct sense that no one is really going to be happy, save me, unless major problems ensue and soon! I hope to disappoint and if I don't I'll deal with it.

I don't think anyone will be happy if you have serious problems. I hope you get it all resolved. I know that if my stuff leaks, I will flatbed it to the shop asap and cancel whatever I had to do. I cannot believe porsche used such a dangerous fluid to begin with, it must have excellent working properties.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I don't think anyone will be happy if you have serious problems. I hope you get it all resolved. I know that if my stuff leaks, I will flatbed it to the shop asap and cancel whatever I had to do. I cannot believe porsche used such a dangerous fluid to begin with, it must have excellent working properties.

...or they could have used steel or aluminum lines and Dot 4 like everyone else...but hey, it's a PORSCHE!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I gave up after slave #2 was likely to be needed. The evoms kit puts dot 4 on the clutch side of things. Power steering, afaik, is still pentosin. It is just a lot less likely to be an issue.

I had the squealing valve fix.

Then slave/accum fix.

Then again, due to a failure on track. Only the kindness of Bill Dougherty saved me 500 in labor at the track (DAS rocks, if you are in Philly some day, they do amazing work..cup cars fill his shop all the time...).

Then again...so I just said f-it, got the evo kit. Kit was 1k. Labor about another 800. Not cheap. That is why I don't like pentosin.

Stupid design imho. Porsche surprised me on this one with the use of this fluid. I hope they drop it in the future at some point for the benefit of future owners. I am being serious. I am sure it has some sort of benefit...but at what cost?

Jeff

Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
No one is wishing anything on you BLKMGK... Just wishing you would do more research, ask more reasonable and informed questions, and quit challenging everything we respond with. This is not a Supra. If it were, you and I would be in very different positions... and I'd be relying on the experience of you and others... It isn't, and a number of us have done a lot of upfront research and work to make your experience much more enjoyable, if you choose to use us for that info...

Next time you find yourself on the side of the road, without the properly approved fluids, it's a simple answer... GET IT TOWED and don't take the risk. Afterall, it's NOT a Supra. Yea, I know you were stranded... You had plenty of time to get a towtruck there, since you had the time to flag someone down, get a ride to an autoparts store, and get back, then get directions to the shop that helped you out (And bravo to them for all they did to you when the shop that did the clutch in the first place abandoned you!). It was an unnecessary risk that could potentially come back to bite you, and that is the only point we're trying to make... In your very first post in this thread you retorted with what has to be one of the most unreasonable answers... "WHAT KIND OF ATF FLUID, because I used Synthetic..." The spec sheet said plainly ATF fluid. It's pretty obvious that one should assume ANY ATF fluid... But this is one of many examples...

Good luck and I hope what I've been told about what you did with ATF is incorrect. If it isn't, you're right, you'll be dealing with it.

I'm done.
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 05-22-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Yazz911TT is infamous around these parts
OMG guys!! I just read this but I was in the same situation last night, it was 12am on a sunday night, had work at 6am. Was out with buddies racing etc.. If you read my recent thread about my power steering pipe. I replaced it and had no problems until the other day. Just about to leave and the power steering starts creaking, turns out I have another leak!! We stopped at a gas station and got some ATF as CHF202/CHF11 was not available. My buddy was worried it would be a bigger risk running the pump dry. He doesn't know about porsches but then neither do I!! I know pentosin is bad stuff but I never knew it was this bad! So I have a litre of ATF fluid in my power steering pump with about 0.9L of Pentosin!! OMG I'm gonna end up damaging something!!! Some one please tell me how to flush the system, I will get it out of there tonite!! I can't afford to replace the pump and pump tank!! Could the rack get damaged as well??

HLEP ME PLEASE!!!! I'm nearly in tears now!!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Damage from this is a function of time, and contact. It is not like the new fluid shot thru all of the lines at once, so you can limit the damage by getting this REALLY flushed and fast.

Do you still have a leak however? Most likely most of the new fluid raced right to the leak and came out . . .damaging everything in its path.

Do you have a positive pressure bleeder, and a large supply of CHF202/CHF11? If not, I would have a shop do this today. You have to really flush this out, not just put more in.
Good luck,

Tom

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Pentosin sucks.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Pentosin sucks.
I was at Sebring last year and the line blew up on the high pressure side... Pentosin all over ther right side of the motor/rubber/turbo.

Worst day ever.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Colt45ccg
I was at Sebring last year and the line blew up on the high pressure side... Pentosin all over ther right side of the motor/rubber/turbo.

Worst day ever.
With or without fire? Burning droplets of Pentosin look kinda funny...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pentosin Fun Facts...