996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question DIY exhaust install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
Question DIY exhaust install

I'm about to dive into the installation of a Speedtech 60mm exhaust system on my K24 turbos and I want to get it done in one shot. Do I need to go bend a 13 mm wrench first, or can I get by with a regular spanner? I did a search and it seems some say this helps, others don't mention it. This was a Nevada car, its still like new down there.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I think if you have a socket set with smaller sized 1/4" extensions and one of the angle adjustable adapters, along with a regular metric open/closed end wrench set, you should be able to do it fairly easily. You will also require a metric allen set for the retaining bands. I have done it several times with just the tools mentioned above.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks John.
I'm stocked up with everything you mentioned, so I should be ok.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Do you have new exhaust to turbo gaskets? I've read that you want to replace those.

A curved 13mm wrench will make your life MUCH easier... perhaps a 13mm crows foot that fits on a 1/4 or 3/8s would do the trick...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Ard.
The Speedtech exhaust has a gasket mounted on the cat to turbo ends.
I have a sacrificial 13 mm box/open wrench ready to go under the torch if I need to. I plan on dropping the rear bumper cover as per John's advice. I'm just waiting for some younger eyes to give me a hand. There's not as much light around here as there used to be

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Cool. I bought a used EP2 so there were no gaskets. Pricey little buggers.

I did plugs and wastegates, so the cover was off anyway- but it was still a PITA to figure out how the damn clamp kept holding the muffler even when it was all loose. Once you see how it fits, it is super easy- but it wasn't obvious to me at first.

Enjoy- nothing like wrenching on nice things.

A

Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
As I recall, once you loosen the clamps on the muffler, you have to slide the clamps towards the outside of each side.....hard to explain because I dont have the right nomenclature for the parts...but I know I wrestled with that dogone thing for some time till the light went on....two tabs that you slide out of the way.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking forward to this one.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've re-used the cat/turbo ring gasket on all four of the exhausts I swapped on my 996TT with zero issues...

Mike

Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I guess if you want to be 100% correct, you'd buy the round crush rings...but I looked at them when I did the install, and they didn't look very crushed to me. They sit into a groove that looks to be deep enough that the rings dont really crush...maybe under a forensic microscope you might see some compression...but...I reused them with no mal effects whatsoever....there are no exhaust leaks. BUT, as I said, most P car guys want to be 100% correct, and if Porsche has them there then they must be for a reason...I just didnt' see it. Obviously, neither did Mike.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I have swapped exhausts about 20 times using the same set of rings with no leaking issues. They appear to be very re-useable.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 PM
KellyT is infamous around these parts
Did a full DIY with Pictures a while back:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...i-install.html

Hope this helps

Old 05-24-2009, 05:00 PM
ard
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've re-used the cat/turbo ring gasket ......with zero issues...
Me too, truth be told.

I thought I was just lucky, having no issues.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Take off the rear bumper cover and save yourself the headaches of all the difficult
top turbo bolts. I have done it more than John...