996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What to say if Officer asks if he can search your car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 PM
KellyT is infamous around these parts
Good to get all perspectives. I to in principle do not want to willing roll over and comply with some illegal "search and siezure." Also I don't want someone marring up my expensive interior with their utility belt hardware or the butt end some XD 40 as they rummage around on a witch hunt.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Law Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Prche951
yes, he needs cause. He can't just say I want to search your car just because.
Yes he can if the reason you are initially pulled over is legitimate.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Law Jolla
Yes he can if the reason you are initially pulled over is legitimate.
thats called CAUSE

Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
BallinGPM is infamous around these parts
I hate searches, always say no, nothing good can come of a search as Mikelly said, worry about the "plant" of something... They're searching for a reason to make your life suck, way better to not give them any help!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dennis, It really boils down to jurisdiction. However, you're generally right. Once you're detained on the side of the road, they can certainly do what they want. What I don't want to do is give consent for anything they may do. I always inform them that I have a permit and a weapon and then inform them that they are "in charge" until they secure the scene to make themselves safe. Beyond that, I don't have any interest in anyone searching my car.

If they want to go from there, game on, ring my attorney and get my bail, because I am not going quietly... This is a real hot button for me personally, because I know of several police officers in my own jurisdiction that should not be in uniform due to conduct and illegal activity issues.

My son was stopped when he was 16 one night. The TWO Va. state troopers decided to pull him out of his car and pat him down. Then they searched his car, found that his tail lights weren't DOT approved, and SCRAPED his inspection sticker off the car, then gave him a ticket for improper equipment. THEN, they searched the car. The idiots didn't realize his uncle was their supervisor. Needless to say, I filed a complaint and the two officers were repremanded. I know cops have a tuff job. I know they deal with the worst people in society... However, not everyone they come into contact with is guilty of a serious or arresting offense. More often than not, the officer is trying to "find something" to site you with or arrest you for... It has changed so much since I was in law enforcement. We used to be there to "protect and serve" the public... Now it seems as if we have people doing the job for one purpose, write tickets or arrest people. Yea, I know they have a tuff job. Do it properly, or don't do it.

And for "US" citizens, learn the rules... DON'T engage in any "informative" or "helpful" discussions... Cops want you to TALK. They want you to give them information. They listen to everything and will use it against you in court. They are "representatives of the court" and the judge will remind you of that if you accuse them of lying or changing the facts from the incident. It is upon each of us to understand the rules of the game we're playing before encountering law enforcement. Remember, Anytime you're detained on the side of the road for a traffic offense, you're essentially in their custody, even if you're sitting in your car. From the point in time that you roll the window down or acknowledge the officer, it's "GAME on" in their mind... Better be in your's too.

Mike

Old 05-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Law Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of lightLaw Jolla is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Prche951
thats called CAUSE
Wow.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Dennis, It really boils down to jurisdiction. However, you're generally right. Once you're detained on the side of the road, they can certainly do what they want. What I don't want to do is give consent for anything they may do. I always inform them that I have a permit and a weapon and then inform them that they are "in charge" until they secure the scene to make themselves safe. Beyond that, I don't have any interest in anyone searching my car.

If they want to go from there, game on, ring my attorney and get my bail, because I am not going quietly... This is a real hot button for me personally, because I know of several police officers in my own jurisdiction that should not be in uniform due to conduct and illegal activity issues.

My son was stopped when he was 16 one night. The TWO Va. state troopers decided to pull him out of his car and pat him down. Then they searched his car, found that his tail lights weren't DOT approved, and SCRAPED his inspection sticker off the car, then gave him a ticket for improper equipment. THEN, they searched the car. The idiots didn't realize his uncle was their supervisor. Needless to say, I filed a complaint and the two officers were repremanded. I know cops have a tuff job. I know they deal with the worst people in society... However, not everyone they come into contact with is guilty of a serious or arresting offense. More often than not, the officer is trying to "find something" to site you with or arrest you for... It has changed so much since I was in law enforcement. We used to be there to "protect and serve" the public... Now it seems as if we have people doing the job for one purpose, write tickets or arrest people. Yea, I know they have a tuff job. Do it properly, or don't do it.

And for "US" citizens, learn the rules... DON'T engage in any "informative" or "helpful" discussions... Cops want you to TALK. They want you to give them information. They listen to everything and will use it against you in court. They are "representatives of the court" and the judge will remind you of that if you accuse them of lying or changing the facts from the incident. It is upon each of us to understand the rules of the game we're playing before encountering law enforcement. Remember, Anytime you're detained on the side of the road for a traffic offense, you're essentially in their custody, even if you're sitting in your car. From the point in time that you roll the window down or acknowledge the officer, it's "GAME on" in their mind... Better be in your's too.

Mike
Hi Mike,

First, beautiful car!

My comments are based on U.S. Constitutional Law, so, as you said, a particular state could have more restrictive requirements and require additional burdens of proof. In criminal procedure, the U.S. Constitution is the legal floor. In California because of voter initiative Prop 8, the U.S. Constitution is the floor -- CA law provides no greater crim pro rights.

Your view represents a view that I have often taken and flip flop back to on occasion. It is a game. Sometimes the more open/honest approach is right while other times I think your approach is right. No perfect answers here. If you're good at reading people, I think it's best to start out polite and guarded. If you can figure out that they're just trying to see if you have warrants, then you can open up. But, as you mentioned, if they think they're CSI and want to cook up a case, then be combative.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Ditto Dennis, I really wanted Silver/grey... I hate having to detail black paint...

You're absolutley correct... it boils down to being able to read them... On the flip side, one night two years ago my wife and I were going to dinner and it was a new restraunt in town... I was on the cellphone with my business partner, trying to locate it, and I turned the wrong way down a one way street... RIGHT in front of a cop... Guy was a seasoned veteren, had zero interest in writing me a ticket, and even found the location for me from dispatch... I was dead wrong and told him "write me for being distracted and stupid, because I know better". He laughed and said "I don't want to ruin your evening and we're all human..."

There are more good than bad...

Mike

Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 PM
bfk4lyfe is infamous around these parts
It has changed so much since I was in law enforcement. We used to be there to "protect and serve" the public... Now it seems as if we have people doing the job for one purpose, write tickets or arrest people. Yea, I know they have a tuff job. Do it properly, or don't do it.

Mike
There's only so much protecting and serving to be done at 3am on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, you should know that. When I stop a car at those hours, you're right, the only reason I'm doing it is to take someone to try take them to jail, which doesn't pan out as often as TV would have you believe. If you have no warrants, have a good license, and aren't drunk, then its have a safe night and slow down from me.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by bfk4lyfe
If you have no warrants, have a good license, and aren't drunk, then its have a safe night and slow down from me.
I think that is protecting and serving. Thanks for your great service!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:37 PM
So it's a crime to be out at 3AM?

I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm out at that time of the morning. I understand that you're out there trying to keep drunks off the street and crooks from breaking into businesses... That's "reasonable"... But we both know that when an officer detains someone on the side of the road, their strategy is to get the suspect (which is what we are from the point in time you light up the night) to open up and offer information... No thanks...

Know the game...
Mike

Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Law Jolla
This is why I'd never take legal advice from cops ... he doesn't even have the legal standards right.

They don't need probable cause to search areas of the car in "lunging" distance, only reasonable suspicion for the initial stop. (And that distance is defined as anything within the driver's reach, including, get this, the area of the trunk in a hatch back. It also includes containers within reach) Essentially, reasonable suspicion for an emissions violation (e.g. exhaust) gets them almost anywhere they want in your car -- the notable exception being a locked trunk that is sealed from the passenger compartment.

That said, my legal advice is actually similar to the officer in this case. I would say "I don't consent to any search. But, of course, you are free to do as the law allows."

However, from a practical perspective, I'd be inclined to cooperate. Talk to 99.9% of officers and they will tell you that they do not like giving tickets to "good" people -- even motorcycle cops. They will stop you at the drop of a hat to make sure you are a "good" person. As soon as they can deduce that your legal transgressions begin and end with emissions infractions, an illegal turn, etc., they will most likely send you on your way without a ticket.

Besides, once pulled over, they can basically search anything anyway... so no harm in being friendly.
You've got to be kidding! Go to traffic court and see how many "good people" are standing in line to pay traffic fines. You'll see average joe blow citizens lined up to pay their tickets. The vast majority of people who receive tickets have no other contact with cops other than when they get tickets. The motor cop's role is to enforce traffic laws. They do it by writing tickets. How many people on this site have received speeding tickets or been ticketed for no front plate. I don't understand what you are saying at all. When a cop writes you a ticket it's because he wants to write it, not because he has to. Cops have broad discretion in terms of citing you or letting you go.

Your statement about a cop having the right to search your vehicle because of an emission violation is completely wrong. Besides, unless your car is smoking badly I don't see how you'd be stopped for an emissions violation. Please explain the nexus between your car having an emissions violations and the cop having the right to search your center console? Or how making an illegal U-turn gives the cop probable cause to search your glove box? I can't make that connection.

Last edited by Onetime; 05-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:59 PM
tonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud oftonio has much to be proud of
If you do disclose that you are carrying a firearm with a permit are you still given the liberty to decline a search?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by raineycd
And they reply: Assume the position!

They can search my car, I have nothing to hide...

what if he plants something ??? dont assume that they are all honest.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:52 PM
bfk4lyfe is infamous around these parts
So it's a crime to be out at 3AM?

I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm out at that time of the morning. I understand that you're out there trying to keep drunks off the street and crooks from breaking into businesses... That's "reasonable"... But we both know that when an officer detains someone on the side of the road, their strategy is to get the suspect (which is what we are from the point in time you light up the night) to open up and offer information... No thanks...

Know the game...
Mike
When did I say its a crime to be out at 3am? You said all cops do now a days is cite and arrest when back in "your" day if was about protecting and serving (I don't work for LAPD so that's not my motto but that's irrelevant). If there's no calls for service what am I supposed to do? If you have a tail light out, no front plate (illegal in CA) etc, expect to get pulled over. Like you said, know the game.

In any case I can't stop you if I don't have reasonable suspicion or probable cause now can I?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: What to say if Officer asks if he can search your car.