996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

crazy idea - build a e46 m3 track toy! opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM
mburns813 is infamous around these partsmburns813 is infamous around these parts
Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 AM
mburns813 is infamous around these partsmburns813 is infamous around these parts
Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Old 05-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Great track car. I set up my fiances E46 M3 to take to the track and enjoyed it so much I went out and got a Z4M to use (same engine, Competition brakes, and less weight). For the prices E46 M3s are trading for their an absolute bargain and when setup right they can hold their own quite well on the track. E36 is another great choice due to the weight and overall cost, but right off the bat the E46 felt like it had enough power, the few passengers who have ridden with me and owned Porsche where quite impressed with how balanced the E46 was overall.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by onelove
Great track car. I set up my fiances E46 M3 to take to the track and enjoyed it so much I went out and got a Z4M to use (same engine, Competition brakes, and less weight). .
What mods did you do to your fiance's car to get it track ready? Before my 996tt, I had an e46m3 and used it many times at the track. It was full stock so clearly the brakes didnt hold up and the suspension needed to be firmer.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by muker
What mods did you do to your fiance's car to get it track ready? Before my 996tt, I had an e46m3 and used it many times at the track. It was full stock so clearly the brakes didnt hold up and the suspension needed to be firmer.
Ground Control Coilovers with camber plates (I also like TC Kline Dual adjustable but got a deal I couldn't resist on these on eBay)

Powerslot Rotors, Stainless lines, Castrol SRF and Axxis Ultimate pads (Eurofloating / Competition brakes would be a nice upgrade, or a full stoptech BBK if either of these solutions didn't hold up depending on what track you're going to)

Powerwise just a filter, Active Auto Exhaust and ECU Reflash. A bit of extra power and torque while still keeping the car reliable. Nothing to crazy to that car but was still a lot of fun to drive around at HPDE's. I eventually quit taking it as I was at a point where I wanted to get a track wheel set, track pads, etc to get more aggressive and couldn't justify doing it to her daily driver. I'm going to setup my M Coupe similar except with a set of track pads and CCW's with R Coumpounds for track days.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:40 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
what do you think is a killer, gotta-get-it-even-if-will-be-a-huge-fight-with-my-wife-idea. The car has 122k miles and is in very good condition, 1 owner asking 15k.
I think you can get it even cheaper. Look at finished eBay auctions (it's an option when you search) and local craigslist ads - that's about the going rate for cars with 75k on the clock...

My concern with it would be part/maintenance costs, but it's probably cheaper than the 996TT in that regard!

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
If it's strictly going to be a track car, I'd consider buying a salvaged title car... Get intouch with your insurance company and they can hook you up with their network of salvage opportunities...

Many race cars come from the salvage pool!

Mike

Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by onelove
Ground Control Coilovers with camber plates (I also like TC Kline Dual adjustable but got a deal I couldn't resist on these on eBay)

Powerslot Rotors, Stainless lines, Castrol SRF and Axxis Ultimate pads (Eurofloating / Competition brakes would be a nice upgrade, or a full stoptech BBK if either of these solutions didn't hold up depending on what track you're going to)

Powerwise just a filter, Active Auto Exhaust and ECU Reflash. A bit of extra power and torque while still keeping the car reliable. Nothing to crazy to that car but was still a lot of fun to drive around at HPDE's. I eventually quit taking it as I was at a point where I wanted to get a track wheel set, track pads, etc to get more aggressive and couldn't justify doing it to her daily driver. I'm going to setup my M Coupe similar except with a set of track pads and CCW's with R Coumpounds for track days.
Sounds right. I have TC Kline about 2 hours north from here and I've heard they can do a mean job on roll cage and suspension so that could be an option along with the other upgrades you mention. Very helpful.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by justinmm2
I think you can get it even cheaper. Look at finished eBay auctions (it's an option when you search) and local craigslist ads - that's about the going rate for cars with 75k on the clock...

My concern with it would be part/maintenance costs, but it's probably cheaper than the 996TT in that regard!

Good luck!
I found on roadfly I guy that almost bought this car for $13k but at the end decided to go for a 6-speed manual. I am guessing 12k is possible. 10k is a killer deal.

Originally Posted by Mikelly
If it's strictly going to be a track car, I'd consider buying a salvaged title car... Get intouch with your insurance company and they can hook you up with their network of salvage opportunities...

Many race cars come from the salvage pool!

Mike
The reason why I am even considering the idea is because I know this guy is religious about maintenance, one-owner, highway miles (no stories). Therefore, as far as buying a used car, I know this one has been taken care off and things are not going to fall off after a month.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor
Sounds right. I have TC Kline about 2 hours north from here and I've heard they can do a mean job on roll cage and suspension so that could be an option along with the other upgrades you mention. Very helpful.
I had them on my Z3M a few years back and just purchased one of TC Klines previous Z4Ms, so far they've been a pleasure to deal with and VERY helpful with the suspension setup. Now it's just a matter of scheduling some track time in and trying to survive the 100 degree + humid summers coming up here in FL.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
I have no doubt it is an awesome car and cheaper than building it myself.....Funny how quickly this escalates from a $15k idea to a $40k idea.
Don't ask how much is in the car. I had app. $60k including cost of car, NOT counting the Blown motor replacement, the $20,000 SC and Stoptech big brake kit that is on the car now.

I will say that a properly set up E46 M3 is probably the most tossable and fun car I have ever driven. Very forgiving.

Peter

Old 05-26-2009, 12:03 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
HPF makes really fast M3's, but for the track, i wouldn't get anywhere near their stage 3 level... way too much lag and you will never get traction even with R compounds.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
I agree on the E36. E46 is a kinda big car, and significantly heavier.
Also, a lot of people are talking about power... power is not as important on the track! You don't want a 1000hp car that weighs 2 tons... better to be as light as possible (think McLaren F1).

One of our sales people just completed an engine swap into an E36 track car (all by himself!)... you can call in toll free and ask for Ali (extension 85) if you want to ask him questions, I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you all about it.

JL

Last edited by KrafTechnik; 05-27-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhuang25
HPF makes really fast M3's, but for the track, i wouldn't get anywhere near their stage 3 level... way too much lag and you will never get traction even with R compounds.
plus 1....the turbos on my GT2 are way too big for a track car, my SC M3 on the other hand has a nice linear powerband.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: crazy idea - build a e46 m3 track toy! opinions?