996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL Flash - Who has done this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Question EPL Flash - Who has done this?

I received the 16/16G kit some weeks ago, but waiting for the flash / cable to be created?

I didn't get any responses from anyone on a previous post and I find it surprising as there are a lot of EPL supporters here that swayed me to go there instead of UMW.

Doe's anyone have any experiance at this? I've got the loader software installed, but it may not be working properly. It came as two compressed .rar files, which I used 7zip to decompress, but the loader may have only "looked" at one file. I have no instructions and assume that the loader will look at both files?

I also need a cable. Does anyone have a EPL cable I may use/buy? It doesn't come with the kit. I think Tony's supplier may be delayed.....

Any advice from anyone would be cheerfully accepted.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jjbravo; 05-25-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I used the Ross Tech cable , it worked great. For some reason Tony's Serial USB cable doesnt work on my computer. Find a local Audi/VW shop they will for sure have Ross Tech Cable.

Also these are the steps i followed:
Loaded the EPL flash loader
Loaded the files for USB Ross Tech cable
Then loaded the actual flash file for your car from the EPL flash loader, make sure your internet connection is on.

I highly recommend you get detailed instructions from Tony tommorow before you attempt doing this. Loading the EPL flash loader requires some licensing etc..he walked me through the phone. Once you have the EPL flash loader...the rest is easy.

I have done it many many times now so its much easier ...

Last edited by vbmw335; 05-25-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I will be getting mine flashed this week from my local EPL dealer. I did talk with Tony and he said the flash will work with a USB Vag-Com or Ross-Tech cable. It will NOT work with a Durametric cable. So find an Audi/Porsche shop that will let you use one of theirs or purchase one.

Tony also said he could ship one to me and then I would ship it back when I was done...

Not sure about the files, but I would assume that one is the loader program and one is the flash file the loader will look for.

Last edited by raineycd; 05-25-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: vbmw335 beat me to it!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
If I was you I would just call Tony at EPL... Hes a great guy and I'm sure will do his best to get the task done for you..

Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
I can not get Tony's software to load. I am also waiting on a cable from Tony.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by j.mitchell70
I can not get Tony's software to load. I am also waiting on a cable from Tony.
Not good news......

Old 05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Guys, This is very easy dont sweat! Just wait till Tony gets back tommorow. All is need is the correct cable ,laptop with internet and instructions. It takes 10 mins once you have the software and cable, it works great every single time. I flashed my friends car and mine several times and really think EPL flash loader is a robust tool.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Our shipment of cables was delays 7-10 days.

We will be overnight all back orders free of charge as soon as we have cables in hand(Friday or Monday).

Sorry for the delay.

Our software also works with a ross-tech vag-com cable.
http://ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merch...ry_Code=VAGCOM

If you guys have a vw/audi enthusiast friend, they most likely own one!

Jeff- download http://www.rarlabs.com/rar/wrar39b2.exe and use this to extract the file, it will do everything else for you!

Last edited by Tony@epl; 05-25-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Super easy, I beta tested this and it's worked like a champ from day 1. I've tested a super cheap Chinese cable that worked just as well. Make sure you will have access to a Wi-Fi connection or Aircard as you will need internet connectivity to recieve the flash.

Another 2 things to be sure of, remember to write down the port the driver asign to the USB when you install the drivers, and second be sure to have the car on a charger and your laptop plugged in to make sure you have no power problems with both the laptop or the car during the flash.

If you can install a printer to your computer, you should have no problem using Tony's software to flash. It sure beats having to spend a few hundred bucks on a licensed "locked" cable from others to flash as well.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by vbmw335
Guys, This is very easy dont sweat! Just wait till Tony gets back tommorow. All is need is the correct cable ,laptop with internet and instructions. It takes 10 mins once you have the software and cable, it works great every single time. I flashed my friends car and mine several times and really think EPL flash loader is a robust tool.
Not sweating, just lining up ducks and doing my homework. Tony seems like a stand up guy and will get me and others through this. Just calling on the "group" to pool the resources. Do you have a copy of any instructions?
Thanks.
Jeff

Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
maybe just overnight tony the ecu, let him program it at his place

Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by boca996tt
maybe just overnight tony the ecu, let him program it at his place
+1 . For those that need it sooner.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Not sweating, just lining up ducks and doing my homework. Tony seems like a stand up guy and will get me and others through this. Just calling on the "group" to pool the resources. Do you have a copy of any instructions?
Thanks.
Jeff
Sorry dont have any detailed instructions. I have done it like 10 times now...

Download the software after extracting per Tony's post above. Then the rest is easy and self explanatory. Once you have the flash loader select the flash file and then follow the onscreen instructions.

1. Plug the cable into OBD and then the other side to USB on laptop
2. make sure internet is on
3. Turn the car ignition on to ACC mode
4. Start the flash process by following the onscreen instructions..
5. You will get a confirmation saying validation of ECU Prograamming and then you are done.

Its very simple....let me know when you get started and have questions.

Last edited by vbmw335; 05-25-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks much VBmw. I had some trouble just unzipping the file. I think I've got that under control now.
I want to be as self sufficient as possible, so I'd like to be able to do this, given I was administratively in charge of a large group of desktop support personnel. I have bud's to help me, but the older I get, the more I become my parents, and I need my grown and teenage children to program the tv remote for me. Aging is sad. My punchcard programs used to work so well as an undergrad

Tony is streched thin I'm sure, but took the time out to even get back to me after seeing this thread.... ON MEMORIAL DAY!!! Very unexpected helpfulness.
I'll get her going.
Oh, the FPR is a b@stard for fat hands.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Thanks much VBmw. I had some trouble just unzipping the file. I think I've got that under control now.
I want to be as self sufficient as possible, so I'd like to be able to do this, given I was administratively in charge of a large group of desktop support personnel. I have bud's to help me, but the older I get, the more I become my parents, and I need my grown and teenage children to program the tv remote for me. Aging is sad. My punchcard programs used to work so well as an undergrad

Tony is streched thin I'm sure, but took the time out to even get back to me after seeing this thread.... ON MEMORIAL DAY!!! Very unexpected helpfulness.
I'll get her going.
Oh, the FPR is a b@stard for fat hands.
haha...aging catching up! ...i am 30 now and my wife keeps joking that i am already having memory loss - i think its too many things going on at one time... Just cant imagine myself at 45 -50..

Let us know , if you have any trouble...I can share and help whenever i can.

The FPR definitely get some thin hands working on that one..

Last edited by vbmw335; 05-25-2009 at 07:57 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL Flash - Who has done this?