996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cup car uprights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well this much I'll contribute as "observation" during the conversion and since putting another 2K miles on the car. Anyone who has just dropped the driveshaft should pay attention to how much drag the front axles/diff provides to the front wheels.

My car picked up a significant amount of velocity, due in no small part to that lack of driveline drag. The steering effort is significanly reduced as well. However, a proper corner balance or alignment is key to make it all work together, due in no small part to the 80# removed from the front axle. I do believe the aerodynamics of the 996TT help correct some of the the issues with the weight.

Mike

Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Well this much I'll contribute as "observation" during the conversion and since putting another 2K miles on the car. Anyone who has just dropped the driveshaft should pay attention to how much drag the front axles/diff provides to the front wheels.

My car picked up a significant amount of velocity, due in no small part to that lack of driveline drag. The steering effort is significanly reduced as well. However, a proper corner balance or alignment is key to make it all work together, due in no small part to the 80# removed from the front axle. I do believe the aerodynamics of the 996TT help correct some of the the issues with the weight.

Mike
Did your conversion include the cup uprights? If so, do you think the cup upright geometry positively effected the front end drag more so than removing the diff? I am running RWD right now with just the center drive shaft removed. I like the way the car drives and I plan to remove the differential too. My future mods that I have planned are an LSD and coilovers of some sort. I was visiting the idea of the cup uprights eventually but that presents a whole other set of issues as pertains to the shock diameters for the coilovers. Some of the 996TT coilovers come in the GT2/GT3/cup shock diameters and include an adapter sleeve for the larger diameter 996TT upright. But not all of them.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Did your conversion include the cup uprights? If so, do you think the cup upright geometry positively effected the front end drag more so than removing the diff? I am running RWD right now with just the center drive shaft removed. I like the way the car drives and I plan to remove the differential too. My future mods that I have planned are an LSD and coilovers of some sort. I was visiting the idea of the cup uprights eventually but that presents a whole other set of issues as pertains to the shock diameters for the coilovers. Some of the 996TT coilovers come in the GT2/GT3/cup shock diameters and include an adapter sleeve for the larger diameter 996TT upright. But not all of them.
No, the cup uprights do not affect drag like the diff. . Removing the front diff removes frictional drag from the internal moving parts and extra power required to move the front system. The uprights will only help with weight, not drag, unless there is some weird aero advantage in the wheel wells which I doubt. Taking those axles out will make a big difference.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
No. My first post in this thread was to illustrate that most guys aren't going to need the cupcar uprights. This is a very expensive option that should be researched to the fullest. I don't see most guys needing to do it. Unless you're chasing time trial/time attack trophies or door to door racing, it's just to expensive an upgrade.

Mike

Originally Posted by VAGscum