996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cup car uprights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Cup car uprights

since I broke my front upright in the last race and my car is RWD got rid of the turbo upright. since dont need it for the front wheel drive, it is both heavy and bad geometry. notice how much more aluminum is on the old one!!
more importantly notice that the strut attachment point on the old one mounted BEHIND the mounting point for the front brake.

with the Cup car version you can see the strut mounts on a centerline with the front spindle for much much better front end geometry and handling
(info and parst courtesy of ViperBob!)

just thought some of you guys with the RWD conversion striving for that "perfect" front end geometry would appreciate this!!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
nice up grade! what's all involved to upgrade to cup carriers?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
nice up grade! what's all involved to upgrade to cup carriers?
suprising simple. everything else still fits and bolts on or in. just lightens the car and corrects the geometry of the front end.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
tom, are there cup heat shields? or do you use the GT2/3? I just bought a set of GT2 versions and they have completely different mounting points than the turbo version. If you need a set let me know I have a set.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Good stuff from the suspension gurus (Tom and Wayne),

thanks for sharing this stuff with us Tom.

mK

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by oak
tom, are there cup heat shields? or do you use the GT2/3? I just bought a set of GT2 versions and they have completely different mounting points than the turbo version. If you need a set let me know I have a set.
not that I have seen but I can go back and look!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Make sure you shield the lower control arm ball joint from the rotors. When the RS uprights were installed on my GT2 they didn't use a heat shield and ruined the rubber seals on the LCA's $$$$$$$ I fab'd a set of shields for the LCA's out of SS and no more ptoblems.

Peter

Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for sharing... what kind of cost are these Tom?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
oak
tom, this is what the 996tt heat shield looks like in comparo to the GT2 on the right.
I have a set of GT2 version if you need them just holler. I was curious bought these to see the difference.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
VEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really nice
Originally Posted by tom kerr
since I broke my front upright in the last race and my car is RWD got rid of the turbo upright. since dont need it for the front wheel drive, it is both heavy and bad geometry. notice how much more aluminum is on the old one!!
more importantly notice that the strut attachment point on the old one mounted BEHIND the mounting point for the front brake.

with the Cup car version you can see the strut mounts on a centerline with the front spindle for much much better front end geometry and handling
(info and parst courtesy of ViperBob!)

just thought some of you guys with the RWD conversion striving for that "perfect" front end geometry would appreciate this!!
Who has got the Hammer Toes

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks Oak I will check!!

Steven they were about $1600 for the pair

Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Did that include hubs, bearings etc as well? (digging up an old, but very useful thread)

Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
did you ever measure the weight difference tom?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
thanks Oak I will check!!

Steven they were about $1600 for the pair
Tom,

Did you purchase them directly through Porsche Motorsports or did you
buy them from somebody who knows Porsche Motorsports ?

MK

Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 AM
jika5 is infamous around these parts
I´ve found this old thread that interests me much since i do lock for new uprights for my sone to be RWD car.
Where do you get this uprights?
How about break offset do my current 996tt setup work or do I have do change rotors aswell?

Do cup car use same diameter and mounting points on shocks as our cars so there will be possible to use shocks front 996tt for this uprights and is the opposite also possible?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cup car uprights