996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are my R888's dead already??? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Are my R888's dead already??? (Pics)

I bought some R888's to use for the track recently. I ran them about a day and a half and then did a fair amount of canyon runs and some cruising around town on these.

My question is are they dead already??? I know that some people shave these down and so I'm not sure how far they'll go before they are considered "shot"...

For the record, I really enjoyed these tires (while they lasted).

http://www.dropshots.com/kato4444#da...10-18/05:20:28

Thanks for your opinions and I afraid it might be time for another set!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM
993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !
Looks like full slicks to me...

Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Yep they're pretty far gone.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:51 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
you can run those down until you see cording can't you?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by jhuang25
you can run those down until you see cording can't you?
That's what I was hoping! I heard that people shave these and then run them so I'm hoping that's the case. I barely got 2 days out of them b/c of cruising them around town and canyons for too long while other wheels/tires were getting painted/mounted.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kato
That's what I was hoping! I heard that people shave these and then run them so I'm hoping that's the case. I barely got 2 days out of them b/c of cruising them around town and canyons for too long while other wheels/tires were getting painted/mounted.
you can run them on the streets till they cord. I wouldnt do much more track duty with those.

I cant believe you did that with two street days?

good even wear and so good suspension set up. I would get 6-8 track days out of the full tread tires.

you seem to have gotten your moneys worth.

I also go through the rears faster than fronts.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Tom,
Thanks for your input-I was hoping you'd chime in.

That's actually about 1.5 track days and then a bunch of days in the canyons and cruising around town and such...

If I could do that in a few days cruising around then I should be in jail, LOL.

I'm not *that* irresponsible.

Looks like it's time for some new track tires...

Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh, also, what's the deal on "flipping" these? Are you actually able to run the backwards? I used to do that with certain brands of motorcycle race tires and get a second race out of a back tire on a right hand biased track (Big Willow).

Can you do that with these to even out wear? I read that in another thread so was curious.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Soul is infamous around these parts
should say on the tyres whether they're directional

Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Soul
should say on the tyres whether they're directional
It does and they are but others have supposedly run these in reverse to help even out the tread wear. If their internals are built in such a way that this doesn't matter then I'll be swapping them around to get some more use out of them (maybe at an autocross or something)...or maybe I'll just go drifting with them!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
looks like you have plenty of good rubber left. depends on if they are cooked, if so they will be hard and would have lost grip esp when cold.

you can demount and remount right to left side, to run the inside tread to the outside on the opposing side.

not sure about running them backwards. why?

Last edited by oak; 05-27-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by oak
looks like you have plenty of good rubber left. depends on if they are cooked, if so they will be hard and would have lost grip esp when cold.

you can demount and remount right to left side, to run the inside tread to the outside on the opposing side.

not sure about running them backwards. why?
Thanks, Oak. They shouldn't be cooked yet but do have a good amount of heat cycles through them. They are definitely not as grippy as when new. The last time out I was spinning them up a bit where I usually don't so I took it a bit easier. Once warm and after a good run, they were nice, soft and sticky...

I may demount/remount. I must have mis-read the other post-that's what I was trying to figure out as well...? With bikes, you only have one rear so you can only turn it around backwards (even on directional, race rubber). I used to run Dunlop D209 GPA's or the full slicks and flip the rear in between races (right hand biased track)...

Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
oh ok I gotcha. what kind of hot pressures are you running? it looks like you can come down a good 5lbs. they look like you are running them over inflated.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 PM
I was running typically about 37-38 degrees hot. Around town a tad bit higher...

Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
you can run them against the grain. the tread pattern on that tire is only for water. they will be ok to run in dry conditions but will not displace water correctly thats all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are my R888's dead already??? (Pics)