996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Aftermarket Front Hood/Trunk Dampers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ttboost
Looks like it will cost you $40 to find out and let us know!!!
is this the one you were talking about? you sure it's carbon fiber? http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20912%2C%20993

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I have a difficult time believing that these would be that hard to find as an aftermarket item. After all, it's just the measurement of the throw and the length of the shaft as well as the lifting weight....I mean there has to be a company like those that install the gas shocks for camper shell doors, boat windows and hatches etc. Some of those camper shell doors are solid steel. If you can come up with the measurements of the shaft length and gas shock configuration, you should be able to find someone who makes a replacement....however when all is said and done, the mounting flanges and mounting hardware may make this a bit much to go thru when they're available as an OEM item.

Do you have a part number? What are you talking about insofar as costs are concerned? All this for a $40 item?

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 06-01-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Geez...I'm almost embarrassed at that long dissertation I went into about looking for an aftermarket source for these dogone things. I just called Sunset Porsche in Oregon and they have the Porsche OEM struts in stock:

Part number 996 511 551 01 Price $29.92 each. This seem like much ado about nothing....and has become as unnecessarily complex as a Senate sub-comittee meeting.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 PM
1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of
Alrighty fellas, this is the reply I got from Pelican regarding the possible 996 application that Weltmeister would have:

Originally Posted by Jason Porter @ Pelicanparts
As of now, the only company making these for Porsche or anyone else is Stabilus. Weltmeister should be making them by the time your next set of Stabili (spelling?) run out?

Thanks,
Jason Porter
Now, when he said "Stabilus/Stabili", does he mean the stock ones? or is that an aftermarket company whom makes one?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Local "dealer" said 100/ea plus 1 to 1.5 hours...so 300+ for 2. Your call just saved me a bunch...that was why I was interested.

Dealer not in FL....

Jeff

Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I guess that's where the title of Stealership came from

Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Local "dealer" said 100/ea plus 1 to 1.5 hours...so 300+ for 2. Your call just saved me a bunch...that was why I was interested.

Dealer not in FL....

Jeff
Jeff, I got another reply from the same guy above, didn't really help to answer the questions I had, but it sure answered yours:

Originally Posted by Jason Porter @ Pelicanparts
We do have front hood shocks for your car, at $26.25 each. Call me up to order, and you can help me win my sales contest

Thanks,
Jason Porter
by the way, his # is 888-280-7799 ext 233, I think I'm going to help him win his sales contest too, I mean, get myself a pair of those.

Hopefully he'll answer the questions I had over the phone though, will keep you guys posted.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by 1JDM911
Now, when he said "Stabilus/Stabili", does he mean the stock ones? or is that an aftermarket company whom makes one?
ok, I just got off the phone with Jason, he's saying that these "Stabilus/Stabili" dampers are genuine Porsche OEM parts; although I still has a little doubt in price (since it's so low) that they're genuine Porsche OEM parts, I guess just a little over 50 bucks can't hurt to give it a try and see the result.

maybe I should get two pairs, and send one out for measurments, then find someone to produce them in either polish or carbon finish? what do you guys think?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1JDM911
ok, I just got off the phone with Jason, he's saying that these "Stabilus/Stabili" dampers are genuine Porsche OEM parts; although I still has a little doubt in price (since it's so low) that they're genuine Porsche OEM parts, I guess just a little over 50 bucks can't hurt to give it a try and see the result.

maybe I should get two pairs, and send one out for measurments, then find someone to produce them in either polish or carbon finish? what do you guys think?
If you're worried about paying too little, then I suggest you send another $50 to me, that way you feel like you paid more

Old 06-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah...I dont' understand the issue here....Jason, who sells for Pelican...a reputable firm, has quoted a price of $26 plus change...and you're worried about whether they're OEM? Sunset had the same part for $29....both these parts houses are reputable with return warranties. What's the problem? Maybe we're so used to paying over $100 for every little part that we cant' believe there's actually something available for less? Give Jason a break and help him win his sales contest...if they're not OEM as advertised....tell him to give you an RMA number and return them. I'm sure that Wayne wouldn't cater to false advertising on Pelican. OR...just leave them as is and let the top keep hitting you in the head.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
If you're worried about paying too little, then I suggest you send another $50 to me, that way you feel like you paid more
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Yeah...I dont' understand the issue here....Jason, who sells for Pelican...a reputable firm, has quoted a price of $26 plus change...and you're worried about whether they're OEM? Sunset had the same part for $29....both these parts houses are reputable with return warranties. What's the problem? Maybe we're so used to paying over $100 for every little part that we cant' believe there's actually something available for less?
You're right Chuck, I'm used to paying overprice dollars for oem parts; I know this might sound like a far stretch, but just the fact that Pelican quoted me a price so close to Sunset, that reminds me when I bought a set of stock tails from Sunset for around $700 (which I thought they were a heck of a deal). Those tail lights came, they're oem-replicas without the German writings proving that they weren't, but I kept them anyways because they work.

Give Jason a break and help him win his sales contest...if they're not OEM as advertised....tell him to give you an RMA number and return them. I'm sure that Wayne wouldn't cater to false advertising on Pelican. OR...just leave them as is and let the top keep hitting you in the head.
I've already ordered 2 pairs, so trust me that I probably helped him with his sales contest more than you did if you only ordered 1 pair; but that's not the point here, neither is if they were OEM or not. True that I was being a little skeptical, but if it works then it'll work.

The point here is if there is any demand, as I've said, for these dampers in different finishes (polish/carbon), obviously it catched the attention for at least one person that responded here on page one.

now, who's Wayne?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Wayne is the #1 Guru, head cook and bottle washer, dude that's in charge...of Pelican. He's very conscientious about the Pelican image and reputation.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Wayne is the #1 Guru, head cook and bottle washer, dude that's in charge...of Pelican. He's very conscientious about the Pelican image and reputation.
Jason's boss, I see.

btw, I just got a notification from my email, saying that they've redirected my order to their NorCal warehouse to ship them out to me; as for when? didn't say, hopefully will know that soon.

will let you guys know when I get them.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Pelican is very good company to deal with. Very popular in the air-cooled P-car world.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Pelican is very good company to deal with. Very popular in the air-cooled P-car world.
from their website, they do seem to offer a lot of products to the air-cooled pcars, makes me want to look into getting one maybe by next year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Front Hood/Trunk Dampers?