996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fun Observations at Brainerd Intl Raceway (track day) yesterday !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Fun Observations at Brainerd Intl Raceway (track day) yesterday !

I went up to Brainerd Intl Raceway yesterday (in a friends SL 55 AMG) to
watch ATOMIC Z puts some laps in, in his still "slightly streetable" ZO6 .

Eric and his very well set-up ZO6 was running consistent 1:48's
( a string of 7 or 8 in a row!), and did a 1:47 lap.
(Comparison; my best is 1:52 and Luis Sr in a GT2 on Sport Cups = 1:51).
Cup Cars run in the low 1:40's (1:42-1:44).

Incredible ^^^. Bar None, the fastest STREET DRIVEN car at Brainerd EVER (to my knowledge and I have been going since 1982). WOW, and he
has just begun track driving, really.

I met the driver/owner of a brand new STILLEN GTR;
black, gutted (no carpets, door panels, console, etc), Large CF rear downforce wing which looked great!, FULL CAGE,
new STILLEN turbos, full K&W coil over suspension, brakes, custom brake pads, fire supression system, GREDDY BOOST CONTROLLER, etc.
This thing goes like a raped ape and made great sounds going down the 5200 ft straight away! He said due to the factory tire (traction limited),
factory intercoolers, and no tranny cooler, he does not run more boost,
as it is not set up for it yet. He believes there is 80-100 more HP in it in
its current config (I checked out his GREDDY after a lap session and it
was peaking at 1.2 bar (17.64 lbs of boost). What is factory boost?

Really cool car that he will continue to develop (He has track M3 and 997 Turbo )

I rode in 622 RWHP FORD GT (friend of Eric and myself) that was street tire limited, but tons of power and such a cool car. (and yes I hit my forehead on the top of those goofy doors getting out of it).

I also rode in Dr. Ron's Blue ZR1 Corvette. WOW, WOW, WOW,
This is my new car. This car is fantastic in everyway (it even looks cool
for a Corvette. Incredibly capable, suspension, brakes and ohhhhhhhh that lovely S/C power. Absolute stunner in drive off the showroom floor
condition. ZERO track prep. I really am amazed by this car.

Anyway, lots of other cool cars, but these were my favorites.
The gentleman that built and maintains ATMOMIC's Z is a very well known
Corvette Racer from the 80's, Doug Rippie and he can still really drive the wheels off from anything! Good stuff.

MK

Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Marty,

What time was the GTR running (and what was the skill level of the driver)?

And I don't think it is accurate to view Eric as a track rookie anymore...he is a junkie, IMO.

BTW, see any Gunts as of late

Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Doc,

Dont know his time or skill level, although he tracks alot.
His car was hanging with the more powerful ones on the straight.
I would like to hear Eric's opinion of the GTR. It was Way Cool the way it
was set up. Supposedly, Steve (Millen), set up one exactly the same for himself.

MK

Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

I rode in 622 RWHP FORD GT (friend of Eric and myself) that was street tire limited, but tons of power and such a cool car. (and yes I hit my forehead on the top of those goofy doors getting out of it).

MK
That's pretty funny........I can't say I haven't done the same

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

MK

LOL...and don't even try to park it in between two cars so that you can't open the doors wide. You will skin your nose or break it.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM
And Joe has seen my nose so he knows that it is not a small target, so to speak!

I do love the Ford GT's, We run around with (2) regularily that are both tracked regularily. The one I rode with has pulley/headers/and now a very good tune and
did 622 on Dyno Jet. The other one is stock except for headers and no muffs (can you say ferociously LOUD?), but runs Hoosiers on spare wheels and really drives the heck out of it. Surprisingly, the 622 RWHP GT cannot pull ATOMIC done the main straight, although the GT is alot heavier (450 lbs??)

MK

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Man that Z is serious. Congrats on the fantastic time Eric! See you guys on Sat!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
The GTR is one serious machine. I was never anywhere near it on the track. I believe he was running in B group - I was running A group. He was coming out of turn 10 onto the straight very fast and it just sounded evil. I do not know what his lap times were or what his speed on the straight was. Awesome car - I hope to have a chance to drive one on the track someday.

I did run down Dick's 622 RWHP FGT on the straight. I was letting off at 170 right about the pit out area.

Someday I hope to have the ***** to blast through turn 1 and carry the speed to turn 2. I have slowly worked my speed up through that area and will hopefully get some aero on my car soon.

I ran some scrub race tires from a local team that were 305's all around. I was having traction issues coming out of corners making the car feel loose all day. I am going to have to go back the wider tires on the back.

Overall I had a very good day at the track. The car is running very well and I still have room for improvement in both my driving skills and times.

My best time of the day was a 1:47.4

Last edited by AtomicZ; 06-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.