996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL 16/16g Install pics....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
EPL 16/16g Install pics....

I had some of these up on another post, but I thought I'd put them together. Finished the install today, but it's raining and not going out with it now.... Tomorrow looks GREAT.
I had some little problems. The sump lines don't come off as they are fused. I just moved them to the side and and it worked great.
One hose clamp refused to tighten, so it was off to napa.
One corse stud on the intercooler bracket broke, so the heatsheild would be loose. I made a stud out of a woodscrew that threaded perfectly. I Mig'd it in, and gave it a shot of paint.
The right side of my exhaust strap wasn't hooked to the rear body tab. I think I'm the first one to take anything apart on this low mile car, so the factory must have missed that. Interesting.
I understand why Porsche labor is high. It's not an easy car to work on for sure. I took my time and did it perfect and am happy that it's done right. But, if I had to do these all day for a living, I'd pull my hair out.
Thanks again Tony. Ride report to follow.

Last edited by jjbravo; 06-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Awesome work! Thanks for the update! Can't wait for the ride report!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
good job!...you will have a blast tommorow...the 3rd gear pull is just insane. Have fun and report back.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Looks great, it's always much more rewarding when you do the work yourself. Have fun tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Great Writeup/Details , Pos Rep Left !

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm damn excited to hear about your test drive impressions of the new setup. Have fun!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 PM
ixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to behold
agreed, nice write up!

how many miles on the car? also, how much time did it take start to finish?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Wait, is that your home garage? Thanks for the writeup and photos, how about some more pics of your personal shop as well. Have fun with it tomorrow: )

Justin

Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM
iorih is infamous around these parts
great job! How long did it take you to complete the job?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
The car just hit 20K miles and is in just perfect condtion.

It took me better than 8 hrs, but did the plugs, and had some tough bolts and f-ups to fix. Also was figuring things out... I could do it a bit faster for sure, but was taking my time, being meticulous.

Yeah, that's my shop. Built it myself with just a little help with the concrete and the trusses. Got a great case of tennis elbow from pounding nails for what seemed like forever.

I'm looking forward to the spin tomorrow!

Here's a pic....

Last edited by jjbravo; 06-03-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
Great write up and good on you for sharing the pics and your process. I love your Garage. These 16/16g's are killing me, for the longest, even before I bought my car I thought I would be a proto 24/18 guy, but now I am wondering if maybe 16/16's would be a better fit. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
look foward to hearing what you think of the k16/16 set up.....

Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
nice John Deere

got a Kubota, myself

nice write up on the install as well!

Justin

Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Thanks for sharing pics of your install. What kind of break-in procedure do you need to do for the turbos before going WOT?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
nice John Deere

got a Kubota, myself

nice write up on the install as well!

Justin
Justin looks like we have more in common than Porsches... I got me one of dem dare Kubota's too.

It's nice to see more people doing their work themselves. I wish I had some pics from my install, but I never got the camera out!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL 16/16g Install pics....