996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

X50 max boost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
X50 max boost?

Hi guys

I know stock X50 has 450hp but what about max boost we should see on the dash gauge ( on bone stock x50 ) ?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
you will get some fluctuation depending on fuel, environmental conditions, but you should see .8 +/- .1 sustained (not spikes)

Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 PM
porscheralph is infamous around these parts
I see a steady .9 on most occasions, never more then that. Mine is bone stock.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porscheralph
I see a steady .9 on most occasions, never more then that. Mine is bone stock.
+1 That is my recollection.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 PM
WhippieDaddy is infamous around these parts
So should I be concerned about seeing only 0.7?

Originally Posted by MBailey
+1 That is my recollection.
I've never been able to see 0.8 or 0.9, which is what made me schedule a service appt with the dealer for tomorrow morning. Is it a big deal if I only see 0.7?

My searches on this board lead me to believe that 0.7 is what should be seen for the base engine. Though I suppose with differences in fuel quality and environment a drop from 0.9/0.9 to 0.7 isn't too surprising..?..?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
.8 steady is the correct booost for a K24 car

Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
.9 with no ecu upgrade

Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
porscheralph is infamous around these parts
Does it depend on octane rating - we have 93 here on the East coast, but I know some parts of the country only get 89. That may inhibit the boost due to knock sensor etc.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
This is all considering the fact that all the boost gauges are calibrated the same. I would imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult to find boost gauges or the sensors that were off by .1 which could account for the difference in posted results here. The different octanes shouldn't affect the sustained boost as long as you're running a stock X50 with 91-93 octane.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WhippieDaddy
I've never been able to see 0.8 or 0.9, which is what made me schedule a service appt with the dealer for tomorrow morning. Is it a big deal if I only see 0.7?

My searches on this board lead me to believe that 0.7 is what should be seen for the base engine. Though I suppose with differences in fuel quality and environment a drop from 0.9/0.9 to 0.7 isn't too surprising..?..?
Chuck mentions this above and I agree. The stock boost gauges are not particularly good. They are ok for spotting loss of boost but I dont think they are terribly accurate. I your case, (especially if you have not had the car long) I would get the car looked over to make sure there is not a small boost leak.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WhippieDaddy
Though I suppose with differences in fuel quality and environment a drop from 0.9/0.9 to 0.7 isn't too surprising..?..?
I think environment is the biggest factor for me.

Temperature changes, humidity, altitude, and percipitation all play a role in my daily driving commute.

Some days it gets to 0.8 consistantly, sometimes it's 0.9. It's all about the totality of the environmental circumstances for me.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Might be leaking DVs or waste gate mis-adjustment. I did Forge DVs recently on a stock K16 and got .1 bar more boost on the gauge.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Thanks gents

Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
Boy I feel stupid but at what moment during a drive should one see the higher boost numbers. In otherwords during minor acceleration (during a casual drive) I notice the boost inch up from 0 to a .1 or .2 before I ease off of the pedal but really never more than that. On the highway during a bit more agressiveness I've seen the .7 but I do not recall anything more than that. Under what conditions should one see greater than a .7? How long should it take for a stock X50 to boost up to ~ a .8 or .9??

Would a dealership's service dept think anything is wrong with the low boost numbers? Would they recognize a boost leak?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
WhippieDaddy is infamous around these parts
Try running at 6K or more RPMs in 3rd gear...

Originally Posted by Alcav5
Boy I feel stupid but at what moment during a drive should one see the higher boost numbers. In otherwords during minor acceleration (during a casual drive) I notice the boost inch up from 0 to a .1 or .2 before I ease off of the pedal but really never more than that. On the highway during a bit more agressiveness I've seen the .7 but I do not recall anything more than that. Under what conditions should one see greater than a .7? How long should it take for a stock X50 to boost up to ~ a .8 or .9??

Would a dealership's service dept think anything is wrong with the low boost numbers? Would they recognize a boost leak?
Assuming you have an X-50, you should see a 0.8 or 0.9 bar.

I asked my dealer's service dept about my consistent 0.7 bar reading and they said I should be getting higher numbers than that. They said something seems wrong about 0.7 max on an X-50, so they said to bring it in.

I specifically asked about a boost leak, and the service manager said I should've gotten a CEL if that were happening (and I haven't). Presumably they would be able to diagnose/recognize one but you never know. I've been happy with my dealer's service dept in the past and I'm expecting their usual high level of competence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X50 max boost?