996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Caleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the roughCaleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the roughCaleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by thankful
Good advice on the Radar Detector.
Valentine one and a Passport 9500 with GPS.

Do not run them too close together or they will not work correctly or at maximum range.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Caleb, which car were you in for the Gumball?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Just have a good PPI done, and go for it. I drove mine from Dallas to DC. I was supposed to have a weekend to do it, but I had to outrun armageddon (aka "Snow, sleet, rain, hail, freezing rain, tornados" according to the forecast) and ended up doing it from noon on Friday to 2pm on Saturday. Drove straight to the DMV, didn't even go home!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Drive it home, it is the ONLY way to fly and will be very memorable.
Fly a buddy down with you to enjoy the trip with you, that is what I usually do.

mK

Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
drove mine home from southern FL to Westchester NY in the Spring, would do it again if I had the time

Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Ray C. is infamous around these parts
I had mine shipped from Houston to Charleston back several years ago. The negative is that I waited 3 weeks from sale to delivery due to trucking and 1k cost. The positive no added miles. If I had a do-over, I would fly and pick it up and enjoy a long weekend drive home in a tremendous sports car. Good Luck

Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM
halluz is infamous around these parts
The only cons are gas and miles but the gas bill is less than shipping I think. I bought mine in Chicago and drove it back to Austin. My advice is to not get a speeding ticket on the way to pick it up it up like I did.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justinmm2
Just have a good PPI done, and go for it. I drove mine from Dallas to DC. I was supposed to have a weekend to do it, but I had to outrun armageddon (aka "Snow, sleet, rain, hail, freezing rain, tornados" according to the forecast) and ended up doing it from noon on Friday to 2pm on Saturday. Drove straight to the DMV, didn't even go home!
Be VERY cautious about the PPI. I had two cars inspected, both times they missed a resprayed from bumper - not a big deal, but it made me think about what else did they miss, and how thouroughly did they check the car.

If the sellers did not tell me, I would not have known before it was too late!

Last edited by tvr-4; 06-07-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
Well you guys have got me really leaning towards driving one home, hopefully I'll be posting with a new toy here in the next couple weeks! My current car has a pending sale this week and my wife and I will be surviving on one car until I find a TT, needless to say I don't plan on waiting long to get one

Last edited by AdamW81; 06-07-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Buy it and drive it. I bought mine in Orange County and drove 40 miles to Rancho.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Onetime
Buy it and drive it. I bought mine in Orange County and drove 40 miles to Rancho.
That's a long haul TRANSCON. I hope you stretched before that lol. j/k

Old 06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
i just did the gumball in may also and have 0 complaints. i managed 18 mpg GOING the speed limit the whole way...

Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
As long as I had the time, I'd fly out and drive back.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Caleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the roughCaleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the roughCaleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Caleb, which car were you in for the Gumball?

I drove the 997 Techart VR750 Turbo.

Caleb AKA StuntMan

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
That's a long haul TRANSCON. I hope you stretched before that lol. j/k

I was beat after that drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?