996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
TurboCab is infamous around these parts
Bought mine in Cleveland and drove it across country to San Diego. Great trip, car behaved really well. Just get a good inspection done before you leave and have a great time

Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
I reccomend driving home, it wold be a trip to remember. The only thing I caution is, these are old cars and they have a few things can fail that do not necc turn up on a ppi, for example leaky radiators or hoses that blow, coolant res or clutch accum. These could go out on you shortly after purchase. So point I am trying to make is, go get it and drive it home if you can make other arrangments if something bad happens along the way. Other wise just ship it and enjoy it on your home turf if you have a job that would preclude you from handling an eventulality on the road. spelling? best of luck and enjoy your purchase, these are great cars

Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvr-4
What size tanks/what mpg does this translate to?

Cheers
It worked out to about 23.75 mpg assuming a 16 gallon tank. I only get about 17-18 around town, so was pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Caleb,

Whats the specs on your car? I saw your car when I was driving my 996tt on a little naples trip a month or 2 ago.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tradin1
i just did the gumball in may also and have 0 complaints. i managed 18 mpg GOING the speed limit the whole way...

But I am sure you did some spirited sprints during the Mexico sections of the gumball

Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Bought mine in Houston, flew in and drove back to Ohio with the wife. Split the drive into two days and had a blast. Do take a radar detector, expect around 24-25 mpg, take a quart of oil and check the level at fill ups. Let your wife drive, gives you time to read the manual. Much more fun than shipping. Don't worry about the miles; ever.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
dsa22 is infamous around these parts
I know this is an old thread, but I am picking mine up next week and am looking forward to a 900mi drive home!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Congrats on the new turbo. Just a tip, get an extra quart of oil and bring your radar detector along. Have fun and try to keep it below 180 lol.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:56 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Update: My wife and I ended up picking up our 2001 TT in L.A. and drove 2300 miles back to Cincinnati - it was AWESOME!

The previous owner was responsible and great to work with. Despite me doing the PPI, he took the car in to his mechanic and had the oil changed, suspension softened up a bit, and car inspected just to be sure it was ready for the trip.

Started the trip on Thu with a short run to Vegas, spend the night and had some fun. Friday was off to Colorado (beautiful drive), spent the night just outside of Denver. Saturday to St.Louis, and Sunday to Cincinnati with a stop in Louisville, KY to see some friends.

The only downside, as someone previously mentioned, was a billion bugs on the front bumper, windshield, mirrors, and even in the IC ducts - royal PITA to get off.

Next time I may ship, but would not trade this experience for anything, especially if this is your first Porsche.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Glad you had a great time...it's the best way possible to get to know your new car. The billion bug hits do tarnish the feeling a little bit, but nothing a little hard work won't take care of in the end. Congratulations!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:17 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
bought mine in arizona, drove it to NY. fun drive. averaged about 27MPG the whole way going 70 MPH. Parts of texas was up to 80MPH and other LONG streches... well.. yeah lol.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
I must say that the only road trip I imagine would be better than driving a new car home is a road trip going to an Oasis filled with 100's of sexy naked women

I have driven my last 3 cars home. All 3 trips were more than 1000 mi and I had a smile on my face the entire time. It really is great, plus, it takes a lot less time than having it delivered. I still remember going to get my 3000GT from Florida and driving down the Interstate at 2AM and hitting a long straight away and opening it up for the first time. You bond with your cars on the first long road trip.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:43 PM
RAD911 is infamous around these parts
i bought mine Dan's Vivid Racing Project car in az and drove it to vegas. really a great way to get to know the car. embarrasing to pull into a gas station on the wrong side because i did not know where the gas intake was on that fancy car. saw a few people laughing...

Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 PM
FastPass is infamous around these parts
Cool Drive It!

If you can spare the time...Drive! I did a trip last month in my 05 Turbo Cab 2000 miles in 4 days. Vancouver Canada to San Fran and back. Simply awesome! Comfortable, good economy, fast as you want with style. Let go of the mileage issue...Why did you buy the car ? When your on your death bed you will be glad that you had the experience of driving that beauty home. Enjoy it !

Old 07-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
bought mine in arizona, drove it to NY. fun drive. averaged about 27MPG the whole way going 70 MPH. Parts of texas was up to 80MPH and other LONG streches... well.. yeah lol.
27 mpg????? I have never been above 20mpg, even on long highway runs and typically avg 16mpg local with spirited driving

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?