996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?

I'm finally seriously looking into getting a TT and it seems there is a good chance I'll end up finding the right one out in Cali or the east coast. Would you guys be concerned at all about putting 1-2k miles on it (in high temps if coming from Cali to Texas through the desert) vs. just shipping the car? Shipping is probably $1500 vs. maybe $300-$400 in gas - not a huge deal but a grand is a grand...

This would be my new daily driver, but daily drive = less than 5k miles a year for me. Just thought I'd see who chose to drive their car back home vs. shipping it and why. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:29 PM
TEBeckerMD is infamous around these parts
I picked mine up in St. Louis and drove it to DC. I picked the scenic route and it was a good way to familiarize myself with the car.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
I've bought a car on the others side of the country and drove it home. Good way to get to know the car and not have to wait for delivery!!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I've bought many cars around the country and driven them home...

Old 06-06-2009, 07:02 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
It would be a fun raod trip with a great car.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Drove mine from Houston to Louisville - about 1k miles. No problems! Long drive, but fun in that car!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Caleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the roughCaleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the roughCaleb_StuntMan is a jewel in the rough
I just Finished the GUMBALL 3000 a few weeks ago. I drove from Vivid racing in Arizona to LA and then LA to Miami and then Back up to Orlando. 4,000 miles. No problems.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:33 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
I JUST bought a car in L.A. - planning on driving back to Cincinnati over the July 4th weekend, with stops in Vegas, Denver, and Kansas City. :-)

Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I just took mine on a 2500 mile trip last month (about a month after buying it locally). Here are my thoughts and observations.

PROS:
1. You get to know the car very well in a variety of driving circumstances
2. They get way better highway fuel mileage than I expected (380 miles/tank when cruising at a steady 70 - 75 mph)
3. What an awesome and capable machine to see the country in

CONS:
1. More mileage on your new car (but they are meant to be driven)
2. Not a comfortable road trip car (relative to others I've owned). You really feel the short wheelbase compared to cars like a Corvette, etc.
3. The car will likely get EXTREMELY dirty. I had bug hits in places that baffled me, and it took forever to clean

Enjoy your new 996TT!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
I bought my car in St. Louis - and shipped it to South Florida.

Looking back at it now - I wished I had just jumped in it and drove it home. I debated to have a friend fly up there and drive back with me to have some fun... Now I regret not doing so. This car is so much fun and extremely reliable.

I vote for driving it.

Have fun with it - it's meant to be driven and will be very rewording for you!

Keep us posted on what you decide....

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
2. They get way better highway fuel mileage than I expected (380 miles/tank when cruising at a steady 70 - 75 mph)
What size tanks/what mpg does this translate to?

Cheers

Old 06-06-2009, 09:44 PM
porscheralph is infamous around these parts
I bought mine in Milwaukee and drove 800 miles back to Northern Va - loved every mile and every minute. Averaged 23 mpg at 70+ mph.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
Bought mine in Texas, and drove it back to Cali. That was a great trip.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I bought mine in Ohio and drove it to Kansas City. It was around 1000 miles. I had a great time. One piece of advice, well two really, buy one quart of oil for the road and if you have a good radar detector bring it too lol.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 AM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
Good advice on the Radar Detector.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of Driving your TT cross-country?