996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help Plz. CEL: Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Quote:
As per Loren on Renntech, in few cases the mounting bracket for the solenoid can break....
Attached Thumbnails

That is a different solenoid bracket, it's for the tappet solenoid. I had one break at about 40K miles and the CEL drove me crazy for 2 years until someone here tipped me off (they had the cam solenoid replaced for $2,000 and it didn't cure the problem and it turned out to be a $10 bracket.)...

I tried all kinds of things and no shop could find the problem - they were all suggesting the cam solenoid job... I would get a CEL when cruising steady on the highway at 3000 RPM's. Never on hard driving, only very light throttle...the funny thing was that the side with the broken bracket was not the side causing the CEL on my car, so I replaced the tappet solenoid on the side with the good bracket that was giving the code and it cured my problem. Then I replaced the broken bracket on the other side. This was one of those instances where I "threw" a part at it in hopes and it would work and for once it actually did.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 PM
GTdriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Quote:
As per Loren on Renntech, in few cases the mounting bracket for the solenoid can break....
Attached Thumbnails

That is a different solenoid bracket, it's for the tappet solenoid. I had one break at about 40K miles and the CEL drove me crazy for 2 years until someone here tipped me off (they had the cam solenoid replaced for $2,000 and it didn't cure the problem and it turned out to be a $10 bracket.)...

I tried all kinds of things and no shop could find the problem - they were all suggesting the cam solenoid job... I would get a CEL when cruising steady on the highway at 3000 RPM's. Never on hard driving, only very light throttle...the funny thing was that the side with the broken bracket was not the side causing the CEL on my car, so I replaced the tappet solenoid on the side with the good bracket that was giving the code and it cured my problem. Then I replaced the broken bracket on the other side. This was one of those instances where I "threw" a part at it in hopes and it would work and for once it actually did.

is it possible that it is the reason for a lower boost then normal??

thanks a lot!

christian

Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Christain,

I don't think so, but I am not certain. My car ran perfectly with the failed tappet solenoid. The only problem I had was a recurring CEL.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 AM
GTdriver is infamous around these parts
ok , I will check it.

do you have an idea what it could be with the low boost??

thanks!