996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who has mastered the boost controller??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Who has mastered the boost controller??

Who has mastered the Greedy boost controller? And are you willing to help/tutor me so I better understand how to adjust the boost controller to get the most out of my K24/18g turbo’s without wrecking the motor.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Did you get a manual with it?

It is really self explanatory except for the start boost part. Basically, it will keep the wastegate closed until it sees this boost, then it will start to regulate. Other than that, the instructions are pretty detailed.

Set boost,
Set Gain,
Set Start Boost

You have some choice on getting some of the additional bells and whistles up and running, but it's not needed to get the controller working.

Personally, I use the EVC6 HKS on my Porsche, but I work with all boost controllers on pretty much a daily basis. Profec B on my Miata, Blitz DSBC on the Corvette, stock regulator on the truck and the Cooper S. Unfortunately my Vespa is not turbo...lol

Justin

Last edited by justinn; 06-09-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Markski is the KING, He has played with his hundreds of times to see what actually
happens when you make individual changes.

PM him for his cell phone #

MK

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
This is a great article on the subject, and it helped me quite a bit!

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...b-spec-ii.html

That being said my profec will not give a boost warning (LIMIT) if SET = 0.

Tom

Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
gunther what do you want to know ? i know it gets a bit confusing at times like the set gain u have to find that sweet spot to much it will spike boost and then drop under wot , to low it wont come on as fast lol. but i have tinkered around with mine alot ! to get where i wanted , and thats only when he temp out side is somewhat consistant.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Justin , can i ask why you preffer to the HKS evc over the profec ? does it allow you to actualy dial in actual boost as in say... 1.2 bar instead of % like the profec?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I play with my overall percent settings (large round dial) with the huge swings
in temps we have here in MN. (it was in the high 40's recently)

Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Contact Todd from Protomotive or Tim on the board his Username is Colorinc

Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
+1 on Protec

Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmym3
gunther what do you want to know ? i know it gets a bit confusing at times like the set gain u have to find that sweet spot to much it will spike boost and then drop under wot , to low it wont come on as fast lol. but i have tinkered around with mine alot ! to get where i wanted , and thats only when he temp out side is somewhat consistant.

I have the Profec boost controller and just don't know understand how or what to adjust? Or why one setting is better/worse than another? I have no idea about the gain? Basically it has gone unchanged since Todd set the car up. I know how to go from low to high boost but that is it.

Sorry for the long write up but what I want to do is be able to use the boost controller without setting the thing to grenade mode. Should I be changing the setting for different numbers in the summer vice the winter?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by justinn
Did you get a manual with it?

It is really self explanatory except for the start boost part. Basically, it will keep the wastegate closed until it sees this boost, then it will start to regulate. Other than that, the instructions are pretty detailed.

Set boost,
Set Gain,
Set Start Boost

You have some choice on getting some of the additional bells and whistles up and running, but it's not needed to get the controller working.

Personally, I use the EVC6 HKS on my Porsche, but I work with all boost controllers on pretty much a daily basis. Profec B on my Miata, Blitz DSBC on the Corvette, stock regulator on the truck and the Cooper S. Unfortunately my Vespa is not turbo...lol

Justin
I do have the Profec B manual just don't know/understand the significance of the Gain settings. I do understand the boost setting. But that is about it.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by tvurt
This is a great article on the subject, and it helped me quite a bit!

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...b-spec-ii.html

That being said my profec will not give a boost warning (LIMIT) if SET = 0.

Tom
Very informative write up. Helps with the basics for me. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Gunther , if todd set it up for you then its good to go on pretty much everything . if it was set when it was realy warm out , and you take the car out again what the temp droped by 20 degrees or so , that car will be running higher boost then what it was before. (you know how the whole cold air vs hot air works on turbo cars)

so you either adjust it a few % up or down to find your desires boost level.i know its a bit of a pita on the profece cuase its by gain % rather then puting in actual boost number you want .

the set gain should be ok where todd set it so i wouldn mess with that , and then you have your alarm /safety settings.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
gunther u have pm give me a call tomorrow
tim

Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by unvmym3
Justin , can i ask why you preffer to the HKS evc over the profec ? does it allow you to actualy dial in actual boost as in say... 1.2 bar instead of % like the profec?
I don't really prefer one over the other, but I have many other HKS parts on the car(including the ECU), so it just made sense to keep it consistent.

The HKS is a bit more adept at holding boost once it is setup correctly as it is not really a duty cycle base. You do however have an offset. You target your desired pressure and the BC will do everything it can to keep it there. Again, it's all centered around the initial setup.

My knock amp looks just like the EVC6 as well, so that was a sure bet. They look good together, like Ike and Tina Not to mention, I am an HKS Pro Tuner, so I am also showing off what the HKS electronics are capable of on a European car as their current market is mainly jp. <--- not an advertisement!!!!

Justin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has mastered the boost controller??