996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Recommendations of High-Flo Cats or Test Pipes will CEL disable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Recommendations of High-Flo Cats or Test Pipes will CEL disable?

My car has thrown a code for Passenger side Cat Converter inefficiency. I've replaced the rear o2s, but in case that doesn't fix it -- was wondering what my other options are...

Is there a way to disable the check for this code and go with test pipes or straight through pipes there?

Or, what High Flo cats do you guys recommend?

I have MaxSpeed exhaust and some type of aftermarket headers...

Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Just found this through the power of Google. Think I will try their adapters first:

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/cel.html

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
The 02 extenders aren't too reliable... They seem to be more of a band-aide than a solution unfortunately. The 996tt's are quite a bit more picky than the aircooled or italian stuff for example. Fabspeed has recently found a setup with high quality cats that seems to be a good solution if you are looking at swapping cats all together, and if thats not what you're after talk to Todd at Evo, his programming will not only solve your C.E.L. problem but throw ya in the back of your seat too Enjoy the ride!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imolafem
My car has thrown a code for Passenger side Cat Converter inefficiency. I've replaced the rear o2s, but in case that doesn't fix it -- was wondering what my other options are...

Is there a way to disable the check for this code and go with test pipes or straight through pipes there?

We would still love to help you out with a flash and can kill 2 birds with one stone .

Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
This problem started after a UMW flash -- it seems Kevin does not adjust for this in his code. I've emailed Kevin for a resolution.

Last edited by imolafem; 06-12-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by iJeremy
The 02 extenders aren't too reliable... They seem to be more of a band-aide than a solution unfortunately.
Do you might elaborating on this more? Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Do you might elaborating on this more? Thanks!
Nello at Maxspeed is a good guy and very straightforward to work with so without assumming too much, I think he is supplying extenders which first screw into the cats, and then your 02 adapters into these which get the post-cat sensors slightly farther out of the airflow path, therefore reading lower 02 emissions and hence not causing the C.E.L. to come on. If this is infact the solution he's referring to in that write-up I've personally tried and failed with these on a number of installs. After installing and clearing the C.E.L. they seem to work for a few months (obviously dependent on how much you drive the car) or so before the light pops again. From what I can gather I believe the ECU thinks at first that the emissions have dropped to a low enough level to be suitable for the car, but after relearning over a period of time, whether its from more/less airflow or a different airflow pattern, it eventually figures out that emission levels are still too high and you get the check engine light again. German cars seem to be the only ones that are this picky. The 02 bung extenders work perfectly on Lambos and F-cars and keep the light off. Unfortunately the 996, and even more so, the 997 guys aren't so lucky. The only permanent solution I've personally seen over a long period of time is high-quality (and usually the more pricey) cats to begin with, or a programming solution.

Good luck and let us know if/when you get it figured out.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Ah, I thought his solution was to change the resistance on the o2 sensor itself so it would change the values its reading to prevent the code. I sent MaxSpeed an email today since they are not taking calls - I guess I can get more information when they respond.

Currently Kevin is not willing to modify the ECU code to change the value in which the rear o2 will cause the CEL to trip due to emissions laws. I'd like a bit more clarification on this because the county I live in does not have emissions testing. Also, I would be interested in replacing the cats with just straight pipes and would like a way around the CEL with this setup too.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
you have excellent programming, and doubtfull you can improve on that. JUst get a set of good cats and exhaust and you are fine.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !

best fastest lightest cheapest most powerful set up for this car are straight pipes and a good flash. run straight pipes and headers for 4 years now no problems.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Amanda, not sure if you have heard my car. I have 100 cell cats and almost straight pipes, straight through race mufflers and it is very loud. you should listen to my car before you make a move to straight pipes. they are not for everyone. if you're main thing with the car is a track car, then sure. but if you like driving on the street, the drone will drive you nuts if you are not use to it.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Test pipes and straight pipes are definitely two different things. I'm surprised that no exhaust manufactures sell their setup with test pipes (replacement piping for the catalytic converters). Although, that would mean the tuner adjusted for it or you could disable the CEL tripping for the cat conv inefficiency code.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
We sell a test pipe or "cat bypass pipe" with a V-Flange, which is designed to work with our V-flanged straight pipe or "muffler bypass pipe".

We also offer 100 cell High-Flow cats with a V-Flange. These work great - the flow is extremely good, you can easily hear the turbos whistle as they spin, when using our 100 cell cats...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 06-13-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately I don't see that working for me unless I go with an entirely new exhaust setup....looks like I will need to make friends with a great exhaust shop/fabricator in Colorado =)

Old 06-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately I don't see that working for me unless I go with an entirely new exhaust setup....looks like I will need to make friends with a great exhaust shop/fabricator in Colorado =)

trust me that is the route I went me and it cost me as much as a quality exhaust. The link I posted was 1500, you really cannot beat that anywhere. and John D's setup I am not familiar with but I think it's 2k or something and for that 100 cel cats is a great deal. I went the custom route and by the time I was done I had an ok exhaust that ended up costing me near $4k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recommendations of High-Flo Cats or Test Pipes will CEL disable?