996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Extended warranty--What's the most $ it's covered?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Extended warranty--What's the most $ it's covered?

I have a non-factory extended warranty that I paid $3K for. So far, it's paid for over $50K in repairs.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:50 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
$50k??? Sounds like you had a lemon!!! Or did they buy you a new engine???

Old 06-13-2009, 06:56 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine cost me $2700 and it covered about $5k before I sold it and got like $1300 back for the remaining portion of my warranty time.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
$50k??? Sounds like you had a lemon!!! Or did they buy you a new engine???
That AND a transmission and a few other goodies like a spoiler motor, etc. It's pretty much a brand new car as far as the drivetrain.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
sk2613 is infamous around these parts
would you guys mind sharing who the provider was? TIA.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sk2613
would you guys mind sharing who the provider was? TIA.
Mine was Total Shield. The rep's ph. # is 562.458.8197 and his name is Brian.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
av996tt is infamous around these parts
non-factory warranty paid out $40k, I didn't have to pay anything for the warranty as I had it transferred from the previous owner. However, I'd be wary of any extended warranty and read all fine print as mine still ended up costing me 10k out of pocket as they didn't cover all the expenses. They had a "like kind and quality" clause , so they basically wanted to put a salvaged motor into my car...WTF!!! That's like getting a heart transplant from a guy whose had a heart attack. Ended up paying extra for the porsche engine straight from the factory.

Dtmarsh - hows the turbo holding up since your ordeal? I've had the a similar experience with mine.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Roam77 is infamous around these parts
My paid out over $50K. New engine, turbo chargers, PSM unit, symchros and other miscellaneous repairs. I paid $2300 at the time of car purchse. National warranty of Florida.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
One of our customers got a new transmission plus a few other small things, the bill was either $17 or $22k. $50k in warranty work is well worth it

Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 PM
StrathRoy is infamous around these parts
40k plus here - new motor, new tranny, new spoiler motor - just like dtmarsh!

Mine was through Prizm Solutions. They cheaped out on parts, so it cost me a few K out of pocket, but for 3 grand at the time of purchase, I have a car that will last for years!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by av996tt
non-factory warranty paid out $40k, I didn't have to pay anything for the warranty as I had it transferred from the previous owner. However, I'd be wary of any extended warranty and read all fine print as mine still ended up costing me 10k out of pocket as they didn't cover all the expenses. They had a "like kind and quality" clause , so they basically wanted to put a salvaged motor into my car...WTF!!! That's like getting a heart transplant from a guy whose had a heart attack. Ended up paying extra for the porsche engine straight from the factory.

Dtmarsh - hows the turbo holding up since your ordeal? I've had the a similar experience with mine.
The car is perfect and in much better condition than when I bot it. My replacement engine was a brand new factory 2004 unit, not a rebuilt. Later that year after the judges awarded my car first place in a local Porsche concourse they complimented me on my engine that looked brand new. I wrote about the whole "ordeal" years ago here on 6speed under the thread "The Porsche from Hell." My warranty has (yes, still active on a 2001 turbo) a $100 deductible so it's fair to say my new factory engine and installation cost me $100 and my new transmission and installation cost me $100, etc., etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Roam77
My paid out over $50K. New engine, turbo chargers, PSM unit, symchros and other miscellaneous repairs. I paid $2300 at the time of car purchse. National warranty of Florida.
Good for you. I thought I was surely the king, but is sounds like we're close. Why did your engine need replacement?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Roam77
My new engine came in a crate from the factory with brand new everything attached, i.e., airconditioner, alternator, turbos, exhaust, etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Roam77 is infamous around these parts
My engine was replaced because there was metal filings found in the oil. For technical terms that I do not understand, it has something to do with the failure of the variocam. So the engine, both turbo chargers were replaced. This happened 3 years ago. The origional engine had 16K miles. I had to wait 3-4 weeks for the warranty to be approved and then another 2 weeks to recieve the engine from Germany. Since then the car runs beautifully and the engine does look nice and shinny.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Dr.D is infamous around these parts
From what I hear, the warranty covers upto the value of the car. These days, with the values going south, an extended warranty on my 2002 TT will cover for the total duration of the warranty a max of 45000-50000, this is not per incident but total paid through out the years. I have Fidelity and have been happy, Closing in on $25000, paid $5000 for 4 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty--What's the most $ it's covered?