996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

trying to reduce exhaust noise/drone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Prche951
I did take some for another board member. have to locate them. It was really easy. The four existing metal brackets are perfect for securing large hose clamps and going around the two exhaust pipes.
My Cargraphic was mount with what you said, hose clamps. I still think it drones more than my liking.
Anyone has ever tried to throw lots of pillows on top of back area? Does it reduce any drone?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aroonkl
My Cargraphic was mount with what you said, hose clamps. I still think it drones more than my liking.
Anyone has ever tried to throw lots of pillows on top of back area? Does it reduce any drone?

then it is the exhaust itself. I can't say whether the mounting system helped, but I can say that the crossover pipe and the headers did for sure, as I had it without either before and it droned as much as my fabspeed straight pipes with cats.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Geek Alert!

I think it's a fundamental resonance of the vehicle; the way to reduce it is through selective damping. What I was seeing was around 90 - 100 Hz (wavelength around 150"; interesting, isn't that the length of a 911). Factory exhaust does it really well but ends up sounding wussy.

If anyone can try a flexible rubber mount, it may help; i'd be worried about setting fire to something. The geek way of doing this is to feed an inverted sound-wave through the stereo system. Taking orders, who'd be interested...just kidding; MOD please don't ban me!

I may try it out installing the new stereo.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Technick is infamous around these parts
Hi, just to share with you what I did to significantly reduce exhaust drone on my car...

I have a Toyota Matrix XRS 2006 (Same engine than a Lotus Elise "2ZZ-GE") and a magnaflow catback exhaust.I was having a drone problem and the solution I've tried worked pretty well. I had a resonante frequeny around 130-150 hz when I was crussing at highway speed witch was getting annoying, especialy on long drives.

I'm not shure how this solution would work with your car but it could give you ideas.
I used Mineral wool wall insulation (5 1/2" thick) around the spare tire well and behind the rear side plastic trims. All that space was empty air witch would resonnate and tranfert sound inside the cabin and keep it there. With the insulation in place, sound wave are absorbed on there way in and out of the cabin resulting in lower noise.

In my car, the noise level was reduce by 5 dB SPL, witch is almost by half!

Result may vary alot from car to car though...

Here are the details and pics:

http://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=87751

Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
good info. Problem with our cars is lack of room and an already heavy azz.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I've always thought the drone is in part a vibration so sound proofing won't change it much.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I know, space most be tight in those cars but look around, any free air space between trims and body panels are a sound conductor and can be filed with insulation... Be shure not to block any vents though.

Actualy, drone is a resonant frequency... Noise from the exhaust amplifies itself at a certain frequency range. Every car, room, space has it's own resonant frequency.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Bottom line is: muffler components( how its made) and from what, OD tubing and overall design has a lot to do with resonance...
I have been playing a lot with my mufflers and various combinations there of...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
The viper guys are big into vortex cones to reduce resonance......I installed a set into my Gen 1 fabspeeds and they reduced the resonance say 25-30%.

I think the best solution would be to stiffen up the way the exhaust is attached to the car, which would raise the resonant frequency out of the current cruising rpm (2300-2800 rpm).

I also wear noise reducing headphones some mornings (I leave the house at 6 AM).

Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I put back in some of my sound insulation that works, if you have 70MM why not try John D's noise reducing
Optional “Quiet” Sound Inserts for SpeedTech 996TT Exhaust
Optional removable insert to reduce sound. Installs at rear pipe (requires removal of tips) and lowers cabin volume of exhaust. Can be removed and re-used at any time. With this option you can have a quieter exhaust during the week and increase the volume for weekends, rallys, track days, etc.

Optional removable insert to reduce sound. Installs at rear pipe (requires removal of tips) and lowers cabin volume of exhaust. Can be removed and re-used at any time. With this option you can have a quieter exhaust during the week and increase the volume for weekends, rallys, track days, etc.

Last edited by RCH; 05-10-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
<how about injecting some liquid expanding insulation foam ?> that one can get from the DIY store ?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure if expanding foam is a good idea, Fiberglass and mineral wool has much better sound absorption and resist heat up to 1100oF. Foam expand in every direction and may end up where you don't want it to, It's sticky like glue, it would be very difficult to remove if needed...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
Did anyone try this on a 996TT?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
yes, did not make any difference. Still have one roll left.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
( I think " Small pieces in the ears would do ". )
I wrapped on exhaust. Did nothing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: trying to reduce exhaust noise/drone