996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

trying to reduce exhaust noise/drone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Bottom line- it's the exhaust... and probably the mufflers... most use steel wool as packing material... the cheaper stuff... there are other options... but not many are willing to talk about it... bottom line, you get what you pay for... Also, different type of center cores emit various sounds... like perfed vs. louvered... etc etc etc...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Bottom line- it's the exhaust... and probably the mufflers... most use steel wool as packing material... the cheaper stuff... there are other options... but not many are willing to talk about it... bottom line, you get what you pay for... Also, different type of center cores emit various sounds... like perfed vs. louvered... etc etc etc...
I wouldn't use a louvered as it creates turbulence and slows down exhaust flow. Also, Mark is an expert ( IMO ) on this subject and we are lucky he is here and willing to give advice.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
I wouldn't use a louvered as it creates turbulence and slows down exhaust flow. Also, Mark is an expert ( IMO ) on this subject and we are lucky he is here and willing to give advice.

the louvers that Markski is talking about are more like baffles that has no effect on flow it just redirects sound. At least I think that is what Marmski meant since it makes sense. you would not put louvers in the path of flow.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Correct , the louvered cores are set up to flow with the gasses not against them... it would pressurize the muffler.... and thats not good...

click to view

Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prche951
the louvers that Markski is talking about are more like baffles that has no effect on flow it just redirects sound. At least I think that is what Marmski meant since it makes sense. you would not put louvers in the path of flow.
I would hope that Mark knows I wasn't trying to correct or imply anything. My point was correct but at the same time no1 uses them that way.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I would hope that Mark knows I wasn't trying to correct or imply anything. My point was correct but at the same time no1 uses them that way.

Well no one that we know of uses them that way There may be some out there that have this and without cutting into it you would never know. Seems like a very costly way to do it, not sure if there is an advantage.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
NNOOO... lol all good...

click to view

Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
Well no one that we know of uses them that way There may be some out there that have this and without cutting into it you would never know. Seems like a very costly way to do it, not sure if there is an advantage.
Ive done a lot of reading lately on turbo exhaust and louvered anything seems to be the lease favorite. There are as many ideas on what is the best exhaust as there is on HP.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 AM
silverlight is infamous around these parts
Just curious if there was an update on exhaust mounting strategy (either strengthening the mount to increase the frequency range or decoupling as best as possible)? Any pictures from the couple of folks who have done this? Parts used?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by silverlight
Just curious if there was an update on exhaust mounting strategy (either strengthening the mount to increase the frequency range or decoupling as best as possible)? Any pictures from the couple of folks who have done this? Parts used?

mounting doesn't change the drone. I have tried that, I have a fairly soft mounting now and it may have helped slightly but not noticeable. X-pipes, H-pipes, definitely help, the biggest problem is that our exhaust is so short, that you don't have to many choices. I have my exhaust at a point that I like. Drone is tolerable, but not gone.