996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

959 AutoWeek, round 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
violin959 is infamous around these parts
959 AutoWeek, round 2

September 19, 2003

Sent by Fax this date to: 313-446-1616

Mr. Keith Crain
Crain Communications
1155 Gratiot Ave.
Detroit, MI 48207-2997

Dear Mr. Crain:

This letter concerns the cover story of the September 15, 2003 issue of AutoWeek.

From the opening paragraph: “bruce canepa has managed to finish what Al Holbert started, and that’s to import and federalize Porsche’s 1988 wundercar, the 959.”
of this article on pages 16 to 19, there is little fact, much fiction, and virtually no truth.
I legalized for street use the first Porsche 959 three years ago. AutoWeek wrote about my work in the January 8, 2001 edition. And many 959s have been legalized to US standards long before Mr. Canepa “federalized” his cars. And they are not his cars. More on that later.
Doesn’t AutoWeek check any of their reporter’s facts? Porsche built 284 959s including 30 Sport models. An additional 8 cars were built between 1988 and 1992, the last one for Michael Schumacher. I have documentation to support these facts. Mr. Colman continues with “Other 959s have come and gone, some shadily imported and shoddily federalized, others seized and impounded at the docks.” Didn’t Mr. Colman just contradict his original statement that Bruce Canepa imported and federalized the 959? I understand that what is written in the article doesn’t say that Mr. Canepa was first, but I’m talking what the writer intended to make the reader believe.
The paragraphs starting at the end of page 16 and continuing on to page 17 have no foundation in fact. I was retained by Bill Gates to assist in exporting and re-importation of his 959. In addition, I also worked with my (then) Senator Bob Smith, R-NH, on importing the 959 separate from the legalization efforts of Mr. Gates. However, when I did work for Mr. Gates I asked his representative why they were not using Mr. Canepa and was told that under no circumstance was she to involve or contact Bruce Canepa. And it was request that I not contact him either concerning Mr. Gates’ 959. According to records at opensecrets.org, Warren Dean represented a group call the Special Vehicle Coalition which commented on the Show and Display (S&D) petition. However, no one is sure exactly who this coalition is. But Bruce Canepa had nothing to do with formulation or implementing the Show and Display statute. Ralph Lauren’s 959 has been “legally” here since 1992, not recently under Show and Display as Mr. Colman states. There is no record that Warren Dean represented Canepa, Otis Chandler, Lauren, Gates, and Allen as a group as the Mr. Colman implies. If there is a record of such representation, I would certainly like to see it. US Congressman Billy Tauzin, R-LA was the person who assisted in placing the S&D attachment in the Transportation Bill of 1998. In fact, Mr. Lauren has not imported any cars under Show and Display. All this is public information. Mr. Dean represented Mr. Lauren on issues related to his 959 in the early 1990s. That’s it. How Mr. Canepa can now claim credit for something there is no record of him ever doing, and have it bolstered as fact in AutoWeek isn’t worthy of being called “journalism”. It is also not true that staffers at DOT were not supportive of the Show and Display statue. Quite the contrary. Cooperation was very good from staffers at the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance (OVSC).
On page 19 the author states: “Porsche supplied catalytic converters for the conversion, as well as GT2 air pumps to burn up exhaust residue.” I seriously doubt that Porsche supplied these parts as some cooperative agreement with Canepa as the author implies. I also question addition comments attributed to Mr. Canepa stating that Porsche supplies Mr. Canepa with “specifications required for federal verification”. This is nonsense and contradictory to Porsche policy.

The author states that: “Finally, after 10 long years, Bruce Canepa was ready to go into production on the 959.” The S&D statute was designed and implemented to purposely prevent car brokers and dealers from bringing in cars and the S&D statute is clearly intended only for collectors or individuals. So I question the legality of Mr. Canepa “producing” the 959. Further on the author states that 959s in Mr. Canepa’s possession are “pre-sold”. Not according to the records obtained under FOIA from NHTSA unless someone has lied about ownership. Several years ago I spoke to Mr. Canepa by phone. He informed me that he was purchasing cars in Japan for approximately $125,000,00 USD, not the $275,000.00 to $300,000.00 stated in the article.

It is interesting to note that author Colman did not mention the wheel modifications that Mr. Canepa has made to use Michelin tires instead of the OEM Bridgestone. Being that Mr. Colman is one of the founders of Excellence Magazine surely he must have known about this scary modification. In the Excellence article Mr. Canepa broke one of his welded and modified 959 wheels.

Finally, in checking with NHTSA, I ascertained that Dick Merritt of OVSC was not authorized to list labs (ICIs) certified by EPA to test and certify the Porsche 959. Mr. Merritt does not work for EPA and had his responsibilities for handling import compliance programs and issues (except Canada) taken away several years ago.

There are many more numerous errors, mistakes, and unsubstantiated statements in the AutoWeek article. Suffice it to say that if one wants documented and researched information, don’t read AutoWeek. If I want knowledge, such as the truth, I’ll go elsewhere. I won’t be renewing my AutoWeek subscription.

AutoWeek and Mr. Colman owe me and Mr. John Dixon an apology. Not some one sentence line hidden inside stating “we (AutoWeek and Colman) may have been in error”. That’s not acceptable. John and I, along with the readers of AutoWeek deserve the whole truth.

Sincerely

Bryan Milazzo

cc. Excellence letter, Ross Publications letter.

Last edited by violin959; 09-19-2003 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:39 AM
deanger is infamous around these parts
It is an interesting glimpse into the information/disinformation world of the 959. I am curious if this is a reflection on Porsche or not. What I mean is, does the fact that it seems very hard to locate reliable information stem from an "keep it close to the vest" attitude from the factory. For example, try finding a book on the 959. There are about 1 or 2, and try to actually get your hands on one... Not easy.

Is this true for other companies like Ferrari? Is info on the 288 GTO as hard to come by?

Old 09-19-2003, 10:46 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
dean, did you get to the GA this last weekend? In the literature buiding there was an older German guy selling all types of factory literature. He happen to have a couple factory service manuals and a few other manuals for the 959. Pretty cool stuff. I thought about you when I saw the manuals, damn I should have got them for you. Maybe you can track him down by calling Bob who organized the GA.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:52 AM
My take

The main reason that Porsche went to great lengths to keep the 959 out of the US was the jury ruling in SF over a 930 back in 1986 where Porsche was held liable for the death of a passenger in a 930 driven by someone other than the owner. 959s came with a letter to the owner that the car could not be sold or used in the US and that Porsche would take legal action against anyone who violated this policy.
Germans, as a society, love accuracy. And I think that Porsche reflects this. They are (rightfully) scared by the US legal system because it is often inaccurate and unpredictable, certainly not car friendly. As an example. NHTSA, FMVSS 401, Trunk rule mandates that every car produced after Oct. 2002 have a mechanism which can be released by a child (the feds have a spec for a typical child). This law was the result of a women in SF who was locked in her car by a thief. There is NO record of anyone every being locked in a front truck car, such as a Ferrari or a Porsche. Porsche asked NHTSA for an exemption to 401 but was rebuffed. Porsche is approachable but you, as an individual or a company, have to demonstrate your dedication to accuracy.
Is it the air in San Francisco that produces these wackos and wacko juries?

Last edited by violin959; 09-19-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:54 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Would love to hear the brainchild Pete Stout's response...... yes I am being sarcastic

Old 09-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Oak,

Thanks for thinking of me. I am actually getting my hands on a Factory Service Manual, An owners' manual in English, and a Parts CD already, courtesy of a friendly car enthusiast

Old 09-19-2003, 06:18 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I could be wrong, but the main point in the Colman article isn't who was the first. I understood there were others that were made legal as a first....I believe 450 hp. I believe they had problems, like putting the kats in the exhaust where they ran cold requiring a delay for the O2 sensor start. The point is Canepa's 959's are legal with 600 hp. Big difference as far as I understand.

Last edited by cjv; 09-19-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:28 AM
Same article?

Did we read the same AutoWeek article? It isn't just about who was first. The entire article is based on fluff. Colman offers no data on the HP figures (like a graph), did not contact DOT or EPA (other than the unauthorized side bar by Dick Merritt), - the entire article has more holes than Swss cheese. Porsche offered a performance upgrade which many owners had retrofitted to the 959. Publized HP was approximatley 515 although I have heard figures of 530 or more. But I don't have hard data.
I was one of those first persons along with John Dixon who paid through the nose to "certify" the cars. DId I tell you about the Oreo cookie we found in JD's Motronic unit when we opened it up after getting it back from the EPA "lab"?
Forget looking at what Colman skirted aound by mixing words. The intent of his article was to make the reader believe that BC was the first, that BC had major responsibility for creating, passing and implementing S&D; that he is associated with Mr. Gates and Mr. Lauren; that he is the first to get 600 hp out of a 959 engine - all not true. And I can prove it. So he says he put 600 hp in a 959 on the street. BD. It's the rest of his claims and that of author colman which are BS.
Would you want to own a $450,000.00 car that can only (possibly) be serivced at one location? A car with engine mods and body mods which make that car worth $25,000.00, IMHO? What BC has done is ruin what is argueably one of the most innovative and technologically advanced cars ever built. And then try to tell us that he has re-invented the (959) wheel.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:08 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
violin959.

I have never owned a 959. It is a great piece of history, however I much prefer my 996 turbo. I am not collecting history however I can appreciate the car.

I have re read the article and I do not find where the word "first" is used. I do find the claim of 600 hp along with the dyno facility where it was tested. I guess you could call the facility and verify based on this information if you so desired. In addition Dave Colman states according to the DOT, there are three other labs that are authorized and have performed DOT converts for the 959. Names along with phone numbers were provided. It appears Dave Colman contacted each of these converters and obtained what information they would release about costs of conversion, hp they obtained, and a very simple discription of what they did to convert.

The only thing I might suggest is you contact Dick Merritt of the DOT and request your name be put on that list.

One other note, I have been to Canepa's facility with a PCA tour. He did have fourteen 959 there which thirteen of those were being converted for other people. I don't believe these owners shared your concerns about devaluation or servicability. However, given the fact if they can afford these cars, they might not have had any real concern for these issues.

Last edited by cjv; 09-20-2003 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Really?

"I have been to Canepa's facility with a PCA tour" I figured you had.
Forget "first" for the moment. You mean to tell me that you can't realize author Colman's (he-BC- is god) approach to the article?
DOT has nothing to do with EPA labs. As a DOT employee, Dick Merritt cannot recommend any shop/lab, be it DOT approved or EPA approved. Did you know that there are currently 9 other EPA labs, some of which have converted 959s? Dick Merritt has been removed from dealing with import issues such as the one he addressed. Colman should have contacted Coleman Sachs or the DOT information officer. Why didn't he? Could it be that maybe, INHO, DM is part of the problem of questionable imports?
How do you know that the owners of the 959s in his shop aren't concerned? Given what has been written about BC and his work, much of which is hype and fluff. maybe they should know.
To the best of my knowledge, ICIs do not monitor HP readings (although their equipment, if they have any, can give such readings) which is why BC had someone other NCDL do the HP tests.
BC has had 959s for years before I wrote the paper for DOT approval and before the 959 was street legal. You and I know the cars were illegal pre-S&D and that Oats Chandler's 030 was the only one legally here. Draw the right conclusion.
Don't you think that if you are a 959 owner and the Porsche factory will modify your car for $15,000.00 USD, that you would have Porsche do this rather than spend $200,000.00 + to make questionable mods, and devalue the car substantially in the process?
I (for personal reasons) know that BC does not have Porsche approval, cooperation, or any other invovlement regarding 959s.

Last edited by violin959; 09-20-2003 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:53 AM
cjv
I guess we could take about "what ifs" forever and believe no one. I for one enjoyed Dave's article. With all your knowlege I would write my own documented story and submit it to one of the many magazines.

Who knows, if written well enough and accompanied with enough facts and photo's, I could change my mind.

Last edited by cjv; 09-20-2003 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:16 AM
CJV --

I am surprised by your interpretation of the article. Not that I disagree with you reading of Canepa's HP claims and documentation, but your claim that the implications of the article aren't somewhat misleading in places. For example, I cite the following:

"So far, three 959s have been shipped to the Northern California lab for certification. Fourteen more await federalization. All are pre-sold. He also expects to wave his wand over another 10 that have been unsuccessfully modified by other companies. Original partners Gates and Lauren have taken delivery of their cars. Ironically, when Allen moved to Europe he took his nonfederalized car with him. "

I would put forth that most resonable people reading that passage would believe that Bill Gates and Ralph Lauren received the cars from Mr. Canepa or used his services. Neither of which is true. Moreover, I would add that a reasonable person would also infer that people of Mr. Gates' (or Mr. Lauren's) means and stature therefore imply an endorsement of Mr. Canepa's work.

Wouldn't you agree? Of course, I do own a 959, and whiile I appreciate a modified 996TT with nos, I much prefer my piece of history.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:31 AM
cjv
deanger,

I did not criticize the 959. Just stated my personal preferance. Not intended to "look down" on other's personal references or to say that mine are better.

We all know most magazine articles embellish. That is how the press sells copies. I still say, after reading the article twice, the main point is the power the Canepa group has extracted. Is there an disagreement between us that 600 hp on the legally accepted 959 converters is not a record? If the article is correct, it also sounds like Canepa's price for conversion is the best available?

Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Doody is infamous around these parts
the article is for sure, poorly written and does suggest (but does not state!) conclusions that are apparently inaccurate.

i think the suggestion to write your own article is a great one, violin! you should definitely do it. maybe AW would even publish it as an article.

doody.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Bruce does the most work, and charges the most for it therefore...

I think what happens with the 959, and probably happens with other cars like this, is that different people want different things out of it. At a certain point, modifying becomes true changing. Only time will tell if people consider 959's with original Porsche designs and parts more desirable than ones with major mods.

Ps -- We all know my preferences are the best, so there

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 959 AutoWeek, round 2