996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any of you guys into hardcore mountain biking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I raced some DH, started out with a Santa Cruz Bullit, then an Ironhorse DH, then a Turner DHR, had 3 Turner RFX's for Freeriding and practicing my drops to trany. Did Norba Nationals at Snow Shoe on the wettest weekend and crashed out real bad. F'd up finger. that was many years ago. Now I just have fun trail riding in a Trek Brute with some heavy duty Deemax wheels.
Damn..you've got a lot of experience!

enjoy and be safe. I have seen more than my share of people in the hospital for serious DH injuries, me included.
Thanks, bro. I'll do my best to keep it at sane (and safe) level.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
I rocked a hardtail FreeRide bike (Specialized P3 frame, everything else spec'd out to the hills) for a while (not many mountains here in FL). Blew my knee out and had to stop, its' been a few years now so I'll probably end up catching the bug again in the coming months. Endless cycle for me.
Ouch...was that from riding or something else?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
I did mountain biking down whistler in BC - WICKED!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
CF helmet? Hmmm...I definitely need to look into one of those.

Nice pic!
You need one Scott, save the old noggin when your rippin down on your SC. The jumps will get bigger and bigger until you come unstuck, happens eventually. Keep the rubber side down Bud!

Ben

Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Nice Iron Horse! I was looking at them online the other day.
the Sunday is an amazing DH bike....if you're looking to get a new DH bike I suggest you ride one.

also...check out Evil Bikes ( http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/000123/REVOLT )...they're new design is supposed to be incredible!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Ouch...was that from riding or something else?
Riding, bunny hopped up a picnic table, friend didn't tell me the trail ended at the table, went into the woods bike went one way with my knee trapped in the cross bar, body went another..... worst part about incidents like this is having to ride 3-4 miles back to the trail head!

Helmet-wise check out the Troy Lee Designs D2, great Carbon Fiber full face helmet that's "relatively affordable". You can usually find great deals on last years decal'd versions at 30-50% off retail.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Damn..you've got a lot of experience!

Thanks, bro. I'll do my best to keep it at sane (and safe) level.

DH/Freeriding is addicting, especially when you start watching crazy videos of it, and you wanna go out and see how big a drop you can do. then things break, a lot. I destroyed my Ironhorse DH frame in one season. My turners were bullet proof however.

I wold recommend(not knowing how good you are) that you get practice with a beefy hardtail. To many people rely on tons of suspension and never acquire skills on how to soak a drop in with their body. I use to practice DH runs on my Trek Bruiser. It hurt, alot but it taught me a lot. When I went to my DH or freeride bikes they felt like cadillacs going to down nasty runs.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Any recommendations for a good road bike? I'm not talking about the latest unobtainum, carbon fiber, titanium 4 oz. matcheeeeen. I'm just getting into this and really enjoy it. I'm a newbie but I'd like to get a good quality bike that won't leave me wanting for a year or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me with your suggestions. Thx guys.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 PM
SPhilli911 is infamous around these parts
I'm pretty big on biking. I don't have many good trails around me, but from time to time I go downkilling at Killington Resort in VT. My bike is a Kona Garbanzo Coiler.

And I move it around with this:

Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Yes, I know it's O/T...but I want to find out if any of my 996TT buds enjoy it as much as I do.

I went on vacation to WA State last week and my long-time friend took me mountain biking on a pretty intense downhill, as well as a very technical x-country course. Other than me having an average BMX and Motocross background, I had never done anything like it before. I was absolutely amazed at what a high-quality MB could do!

Needless to say, I'm now hooked..and went out and ordered a '09 Santa Cruz Nomad 2 X9 AM with Hammerschmidt crank, DHX 5.0 coil, Joplin post and Nevegal tubeless. It'll be here next week.

How about it? Are any of you guys into it as well?
Scott,

Am a long time mountain biker. Have an early generation Yeti ARC hardtail, a 4 or 5 year old Santa Cruz Blur, a Merlin titanium extra light and an old Klein Attitude with rigid oversized fork!!! (before Trek took it over)... still remember the days of Ned Overend, Missy Giove et al...

But like my Aussie counterpart Cadel Evans (though obviously a heck less skilled and gifted) have moved into and am now very much into road bike riding- have for the last 3 months been riding my dream bicycle.. the Time Ulteam RXR...

all of this accounts for the fact that in all my years I aint put a single ounce of extra fat on... still look like a drug addict at under 8% body fat and i'm hitting 40.

This is one of the best sports/hobbies around... congrats on the awesome new purchase and welcome to the hobby!

Last edited by Harold; 06-20-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
Any recommendations for a good road bike? I'm not talking about the latest unobtainum, carbon fiber, titanium 4 oz. matcheeeeen. I'm just getting into this and really enjoy it. I'm a newbie but I'd like to get a good quality bike that won't leave me wanting for a year or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me with your suggestions. Thx guys.
Dont go half way... seriously. You will either lose interest or will end up spending far more in the end. At the very least get yourself a top drawer Giant or Specialized or a mid range Cervelo.... or if you want to really get into it go for a Time...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Prche951
I raced some DH, started out with a Santa Cruz Bullit, then an Ironhorse DH, then a Turner DHR, had 3 Turner RFX's for Freeriding and practicing my drops to trany. Did Norba Nationals at Snow Shoe on the wettest weekend and crashed out real bad. F'd up finger. that was many years ago. Now I just have fun trail riding in a Trek Brute with some heavy duty Deemax wheels.

enjoy and be safe. I have seen more than my share of people in the hospital for serious DH injuries, me included.
Turners were sensational... unfortunately we dont have good downhilling over here. Only cross country.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Scott, I used to race mountain bikes (although you wouldn't know to see me now) and have a wall full of medals for wins and podium finishes... Just a word of caution... Every major injury I've received has been due to mountain bike crashes. You'll wear your first collar bone break or shoulder separation like a badge of honor!

I've got five mountain bikes right now, although the wife's doesn't count. Also have a few road bikes... need to find my way back to that sport... Loved and lived it for more than a decade before I got tired of not having a life outside of cycling, in order to stay competitive!

Mike

Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I built this bike up in late 2007 and have not ridden it because I am so unworthy of it right now. So mike I know how you feel. I am into Road Biking and XC biking now. I just want a workout. The days of flying over boulder fields and destroying wheels, frames and body parts are over.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Scott, I used to race mountain bikes (although you wouldn't know to see me now) and have a wall full of medals for wins and podium finishes... Just a word of caution... Every major injury I've received has been due to mountain bike crashes. You'll wear your first collar bone break or shoulder separation like a badge of honor!

I've got five mountain bikes right now, although the wife's doesn't count. Also have a few road bikes... need to find my way back to that sport... Loved and lived it for more than a decade before I got tired of not having a life outside of cycling, in order to stay competitive!

Mike
Except for the major injuries part (I've been lucky), this reads like my mt bike racing history.

For a competitive guy like me (can't stand to lose), it simply took too much time to stay on top.... In this regard cycling is very unforgiving...I could tell a difference if I missed a single training day, and when the kids started to come, and the easy-going college days were gone, it just got too damn hard to stay competitive and I slowly got slower and lost interest. I hope to come back some day...there are some extremely fast 40-49 riders in Arizona.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys into hardcore mountain biking?