996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any of you guys into hardcore mountain biking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Any of you guys into hardcore mountain biking?

Yes, I know it's O/T...but I want to find out if any of my 996TT buds enjoy it as much as I do.

I went on vacation to WA State last week and my long-time friend took me mountain biking on a pretty intense downhill, as well as a very technical x-country course. Other than me having an average BMX and Motocross background, I had never done anything like it before. I was absolutely amazed at what a high-quality MB could do!

Needless to say, I'm now hooked..and went out and ordered a '09 Santa Cruz Nomad 2 X9 AM with Hammerschmidt crank, DHX 5.0 coil, Joplin post and Nevegal tubeless. It'll be here next week.

How about it? Are any of you guys into it as well?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Scott, sorry not into mountain biking but into road biking. Does that count?

Be safe... I would love to try mtbing b/c being clipped in while jumping over branches and such scares me

Edwin

Old 06-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
I ride road (Orbea Orca Super Record ) and MTB (Titus X 29er and 09 Epic Expert, both primarily XTr).

Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
I ride road (Orbea Orca Super Record ) and MTB (Titus X 29er and 09 Epic Expert, both primarily XTr).

Nice! I may have to try a 29er one of these days.

I love the rack on your P-car!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Scott, sorry not into mountain biking but into road biking. Does that count?

Be safe... I would love to try mtbing b/c being clipped in while jumping over branches and such scares me

Edwin
Edwin,

You HAVE to try MB'ing. Especially on a long downhill. It's a whole other world from road.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Edwin,

You HAVE to try MB'ing. Especially on a long downhill. It's a whole other world from road.
Scott,

If I was a highly skilled military personnel, I would love to...unfortunately, I sit behind a desk every day so I'm a little less brave than you

Edwin

Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Scott,

I used to race BMX when I was a kid.

I was a bike messenger in San Francisco for 5 years...now THAT was an amazing job.

I ride a mountain bike to run my dogs and work out nowadays, but mostly just on the street (a Specialized).

One thing, have you ridden the bike you ordered? Fit is very important.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Scott,

I used to race BMX when I was a kid.

I was a bike messenger in San Francisco for 5 years...now THAT was an amazing job.

I ride a mountain bike to run my dogs and work out nowadays, but mostly just on the street (a Specialized).
Nice, Sean. They're fun, huh?

One thing, have you ridden the bike you ordered? Fit is very important.
Yep...it's the same bike I rode while on vacation, the SC Nomad. He's a MB nut with $20k + worth of bikes and spoiled me with one of the best "All-Mountains" you can buy.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
How about this Scott. My custom made Brodie Devo.

I built this bike from the ground up, powder coated silver with all the good stuff. I live in some of the worlds best downhill mountain bike country in the world. I have yet to ride Whistler BC on the downhill stuff but have done quite a bit of cross-country in that area.

She is a bit of a pig to ride up (40 lbs) but the downhill is what it's all about Bro

Had my fair share of big crashes at Silver Star Mountain near Vernon so I take it a bit easier now.

Cheers,

Ben

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
jgx50 is infamous around these parts
Come to Greenville, SC we have some good trails here 3 or 4 within 45 minutes of each other

Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
How about this Scott. My custom made Brodie Devo.

I built this bike from the ground up, powder coated silver with all the good stuff. I live in some of the worlds best downhill mountain bike country in the world. I have yet to ride Whistler BC on the downhill stuff but have done quite a bit of cross-country in that area.

She is a bit of a pig to ride up (40 lbs) but the downhill is what it's all about Bro

Had my fair share of big crashes at Silver Star Mountain near Vernon so I take it a bit easier now.

Cheers,

Ben
Very, very nice bike, Ben! Ya...40 lbs is heavy, but that's a true DH bike. It's supposed to be heavy.

My buddy is a bag fan of Whistler. Usually hits it 4-5 times per year. I have Snowshoe near me, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by jgx50
Come to Greenville, SC we have some good trails here 3 or 4 within 45 minutes of each other

I'll have to come down and check them out!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
I used to xc all the time but I got hooked on DH a few years ago...

Unfortunately I broke my collar bone riding last summer so my season was pretty short. But if the weather is decent I'm planning to go this sunday!

Here is my rig (sorry crappy phone pic):

Old 06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Very, very nice bike, Ben! Ya...40 lbs is heavy, but that's a true DH bike. It's supposed to be heavy.

My buddy is a bag fan of Whistler. Usually hits it 4-5 times per year. I have Snowshoe near me, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
Thanks Scott, yeah she feels like "A Big Comfy Couch" when rippin down the trails.

One more of my very old Spec Big Hit.... practice makes perfect

My old Gyro switchblade full face helmet is now toast as I put my face through it when I cased a landing at Silver Star as few years back. Full face CF helmets are the only way to go!...look cool too

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I used to be an absolute xc nut. NORBA point series state champion for my class and age group in 2002. Also won the one-day state championship race in the sport division in New Mexico. This was in law school, and then I had to get a job! I'd love to get back into it though some day. I agree, its an absolutely awesome sport...be careful though, it can be totally addicting, especially as your fitness level raises and it becomes less "work" and more "fun."

Last edited by Scottslaw; 06-19-2009 at 05:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys into hardcore mountain biking?