996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PCCBs on a DD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 AM
nj911skr is infamous around these parts
PCCBs on a DD

Currently looking at a 2003 X50 with PCCBs. I believe from other posts that based on the year these are Gen I?? Have there been problems with the Gen I vs the Gen II?

Also, what is the general consensus for PCCBs on a daily driver? (street only - I don't plan on tracking the car).

Thanks in advance.

(Also posted on Rennlist)

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Unless you have buckets of money to toss away, I would ONLY use PCCBs for street use. They last fine in that application, and although a wonderful track rotor, just to darned expensive and they do wear out excessively quick in track applications...

I have "read" about the issues with Gen1 Vs. Gen2, but can't speak to that issue, as I don't have them personally...

Mike

Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. How long would PCCBs last on the street? Would they be good for daily use or do they need to be warmed up to be effective.

I would also have to check to see if the previous owner tracked the car. May be difficult as the dealer (non-Porsche) received the car on a trade-in and may not be in contact with the previous owner.

I guess the condition of the PCCB discs would be something to check out in a PPI. I am guessing there would be some signs of track use (some spider-webbing around vent holes)...

Old 06-20-2009, 04:48 PM
porscheralph is infamous around these parts
PCCB will last upwards of 150,000 miles on the street. Gen 2 cured some issues related to track use, but I do not believe there are issues with Gen 1 on the street. They work very well on the street and leave no brake dust on the rims which is the real big plus for them.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:20 PM
seven11 is infamous around these parts
i am looking at an 01 996TT with PCCB and i was wondering how much would it cost is it to replace pads on 'em? much more than on regular brakes?

sorry for hijacking your thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
No problem on the hijack - excellent question.

I hear the other replacement route is to move to a big brake kit (steel) whenever the PCCBs are worn.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Pads and rotors need to be replaced at the same time. Rotors can run $5000 each. Pads???? My 2005 Turbo S has PCCB's and they are the best brakes I have experienced.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 PM
mtesh73 is infamous around these parts
i have heard the same thing, great on the street, ok for track use, but very limited life span when tracked. i would think the opposite would be true, very counterintuitive.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
seven11 is infamous around these parts
i have to replave the rotors and pads at the same time for my 745

so its like a money pit to purchase a vehicle with PCCB for daily driving?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
People get hung up on the fact that PCCBs are light and then think that because these rotors are so "exotic" that they should last forever... They don't. The reason pro race teams use them is because of the unsprung weight/rotating mass weight savings.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=gt2PCCBs

Brake rotors in general are considered consumables, even PCCBs. Be prepared for the replacement cost before you dive in!

Mike

Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM
What would be the cost of switching to a big brake kit (or steel Turbo brakes) at the time the PCCBs needed replacement? Any hidden costs?

I'm in the final stages of negotiating a deal and this would certainly be useful information.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Check Suncoasts site. It isn't a lot though... It's basically the 350MM rotor. I want to say the last pair I bought for the front was about $350. The rears were a fair bit less...

Mike

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
formulab is infamous around these parts
I have an 04 with gen II pccb's. i love em. i have tracked the car about 12 full days in last 2 years and they performed flawlessly. i have 54k miles on car now and have replaced frt pads twice and rear pads once. my porsche tech says my rotors still look perfect. he says they are supposed to be good for 150k miles before replacement.
when they do wear out, just replace them with steels, calipers stay the same.
get em

Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I think most of these issues are overblown. They are fine 99.9% of the time and if you happen to have issues, pop in some steel replacements for $300 and call it a day.

Either way, you get better brakes and bigger hats.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
ive got pccb's and they squeal a lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCBs on a DD