996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:36 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Originally posted by toddstacky
Yes, and what's the point???
There fast but not 600hp TT fast???

Point was, they handle themselves very well on a race track

Who was talking about how fast they are who mentioned anything about a 600 hp TT

What was your point?

Old 10-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Yes, and what's the point???
There fast but not 600hp TT fast???

Maybe even a little faster.
I'll see if I can dig up a video or two.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:37 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Originally posted by Red C5

Maybe even a little faster.
I'll see if I can dig up a video or two.
Next week 9s for SURE!

Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

No skill, no, some skill, Yes..
As much skill as driving on a road course for 30 minutes, going from 30-165mph, lateral g's, braking, accelerating, give me a break. Who has more talent John Force or Michael Schumacher??
One makes 80 million a year...
When you make a mistake in a drag race, the race is over. If you make a mistake road racing, you have 30 minutes of racing to make up for it.

I think all racing takes skill. Not saying one is easier than the other. But in AMERICA, speed revolves around straight line acceleration. People enjoy their cars in various ways. Do you really think people are going to be talking about what the best laptime was at the shootout? A 996TT running a low 10 second pass or high 9 second pass will be talked about for years after everyone forgot there was even a road race part of the shootout.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by cjv
Red C5,

To answer your question, we have a decision to make. We have two GT3R cranks sitting at S Car Go Racing. Both were knife edged, cross drilled, oil passages worked, micro polished and cryo treated. If we use the stock GT3R crank we also have the Pauter custom rods available so as to make the Shootout. However, this is not the set up we want to use on this 4.0L motor. The set up we want to use is the GT3R crank in which the journals were turned down to approx 2" to accomodate the NASCAR oval bearings. We spent almost a year trying to locate these bearings and then buy them. We couldn't do a thing (machine work and rod wise until be verified the physical dimensions) The problem is the big end of the rods needs to be different. Different dimensions. These rods were only recently ordered (last week) and they take seven weeks to delivery.

I really don't want to tear down this motor twice ............. just for this shootout. But then again.
cjv,

I think you should bring out the car for various reasons. There's a lot of people looking forward to seeing that beast run. It may not be the best route you want to take, but you would be testing something new that hasn't been done before. It would be interesting to see the reults between this setup and the one you ideally want to go with. What's the big deal? You guys have torn apart the car so many times you can probably do it with your eyes closed.

It's a great chance to compete with others and see how far your car has progressed. Should also show you if there are any other improvements you should look into. You know you want to go. It's also great advertising for S CAR GO and this site.

-Peter

Old 10-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Originally posted by NoMercy
Mine was ...
Bill, can you call SW and let him know he has little skill?

Old 10-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Originally posted by sharkster
Next week 9s for SURE!
There might be one or two cars at the shootout that could run some 9s.

Old 10-27-2004, 01:38 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Bill, can you call SW and let him know he has little skill?
That cat has some serious skillz!! I may need him again when my Viper is finished

Old 10-27-2004, 01:47 AM
just a member
dish it out is infamous around these parts
i WOULD HAVE WON BUT i DONT HAVE A CAR

Old 10-27-2004, 02:11 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

That cat has some serious skillz!! I may need him again when my Viper is finished
No doubt! Can't wait to see it.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:43 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Holy **** I heard through the grape vine that Alex (the one that RedC6 SWINGS from!) is going to be running 36 PSI....

Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts

Old 10-27-2004, 03:24 AM
Oops I was wrong make that 46 PSI!

Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 AM
Banned
toddstacky is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

When you make a mistake in a drag race, the race is over. If you make a mistake road racing, you have 30 minutes of racing to make up for it.

I think all racing takes skill. Not saying one is easier than the other. But in AMERICA, speed revolves around straight line acceleration. People enjoy their cars in various ways. Do you really think people are going to be talking about what the best laptime was at the shootout? A 996TT running a low 10 second pass or high 9 second pass will be talked about for years after everyone forgot there was even a road race part of the shootout.
Yes in drag racing if you red light, spin the tires too much or miss a shift then the race is over. But the bottom line is you only need to be able to complete these skills for 10 seconds or less than it's over. In road racing anybody can run one or two great laps, the talent is being able to do it lap after lap without a mistake. I think it's easier to get a 10 second challenge done than a 30 minute race where if you miss a turn in or a braking marker the consequences could be great. True the 1/4 mile fascination in this country is high, however this mindset diminishes how great the talent needed to complete the fastest lap on a road course which takes more talent than a straight line run down a 1/4 mile.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:45 AM
I live my life by the 1/4mile... for those 10 seconds I am free...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?