996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:27 AM
DMS
DMS is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Originally posted by toddstacky
Yes, and what's the point???
There fast but not 600hp TT fast???
so anything less then a 600hp TT is worthless? So a 400hp TT or any other Pcar is lesser then? Should that insult apply to anyone else whos car isnt as great as a 600hp TT?

having 600hp doesnt mean much out there. If you've ever been you'll know the right driver will lap a 600hp tt in a 944 NA

Old 11-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Banned
toddstacky is infamous around these parts
What planet are you from, a 944NA lapping a TT, maybe with a dork driving. I have been on the track with 944's and no problem.
Maybe you meant a 944T, Turbo model with mods and suspension will out handle the 996TT no doubt..A 944NA will not beat the 996TT...All comes down to the driver and the track too..

Old 11-02-2004, 01:47 AM
DMS
What planet are you from, a 944NA lapping a TT, maybe with a dork driving. I have been on the track with 944's and no problem.
Maybe you meant a 944T, Turbo model with mods and suspension will out handle the 996TT no doubt..A 944NA will not beat the 996TT...All comes down to the driver and the track too..
dont think its possible? When I was in skip barber I saw with my own two eyes a dodge dakota (driven by instructor) lapping a carerra. Have you ever been to a track in your life??

why dont you post up some of your lap times so we can compare them to other cars since your so sure its not possible?

YES A 944 NA will beat a 996 TT all it takes is the right combination of drivers. And you've still completely bypassed adressing my suggestion that your comparison is pointless. I'm using that to illustrate that comparing cars in that manner is ridiculous. Last I checked in the ALMS series there were some pretty stout cars of all manufacturer origin. So when you start modifiying what can you really compare based on? If laptimes are your basis then driver is the single largest factor. I would bet that I can find a laptime to best whatever youve run in some cars that are piles of crap by comparison. I saw some pretty sick laptimes being put down by old school datsuns in SCCA classes that eat what I've seen at PCA club events (and anything I've ever run) alive. We all know the power of Pcars but your comparison doesnt seem very well founded. My experience is the guys with the least humility are the slowest. The guys who know theres someone faster and are focused on being faster not talking about what their car SHOULD run (blah blah blah) are the guys who really smoke up the track.

You could get smoked by a shifter kart too so whats the point of the comparison?

Last edited by DMS; 11-02-2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Banned
Laguna Seca 1:43.255
Willow Springs 1:32.98
Fontana(2.8 mile) 1:51.24

In my kart:
Laguna Seca 1:28.34
Willow Springs 1:20.87
Streets of Willow old section(1) 53.89
Streets of Willow version 2(no banking) 1:05.99
Streets of Willow CW full version 1:17.85

Next question chief, let'see your times.
I have driven these in my TT, kart and other cars too.
I know the difference, let's see your times for comparision.....

Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 AM
DMS
Laguna Seca 1:43.255
Fontana(2.8 mile) 1:51.24

In my kart:
Laguna Seca 1:28.34
Willow Springs 1:20.87
Streets of Willow old section(1) 53.89
Streets of Willow version 2(no banking) 1:05.99
Streets of Willow CW full version 1:17.85

Next question chief, let'see your times.
I have driven these in my TT, kart and other cars too.
I know the difference, let's see your times for comparision.....
Well first off, "chief" dont pull that thinly veiled insult crap with me, be an adult and have a discussion. I dont need to post anything of my own to illustrate. I have never run anything we could compare side by side, but no matter I dont need my own times to prove my point, but yes I have run faster then you on one of the same tracks. Unfortunately my times are not comparable as it was done on a completely different type of vehicle.

Lets just play around shall we. your 1:43 laguna time has been bested by an almost stock E36M3 Lightweight 1:40:70 by James Sofronas. So surely by your original logic your car must be a piece of **** and the M3 lightweight the end all of vehicles? I can go on but I dont really feel like it. My point has been made. The more you talk the more you just sound arrogant. Have you never been passed before? What kind of cars passed you? They must have been formula1 with that kind of attitude.

Last edited by DMS; 11-02-2004 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Banned
obviously you haven't driven at Laguna before otherwise you would know that having even 700hp isn't going to help you unless the car can handle..A stock 9966tt is too heavy for a really fast time at Laguna..A 240hp S2000 will do almost the same time with only 240hp as it is much lighter and handles better..Try comparing apples to apples..I think the stock 996tt handles ok but it's shortcomings are seen on the track..I never said the 996tt was the ultimate track car. Take the E36 to Fontana and it will be slower due to the nature of the track and the advantage the P car has in power. Laguna isn't a place where all the hp in the world will help..Like I posted I have run sub 30's in a shifter kart so I know first hand, do you????

Old 11-02-2004, 02:27 AM
DMS
obviously you haven't driven at Laguna before otherwise you would know that having even 700hp isn't going to help you unless the car can handle..

Yes, I HAVE driven at laguna actually. And I really dont think that you need to have driven there to surmise "700hp isn't going to help you unless the car can handle". You are correct but thats just common sense and thats exactly my point. Out there a lot of things dont matter and your horsepower number is one of them

A stock 9966tt is too heavy for a really fast time at Laguna..A 240hp S2000 will do almost the same time with only 240hp as it is much lighter and handles better..Try comparing apples to apples..I think the stock 996tt handles ok but it's shortcomings are seen on the track..I never said the 996tt was the ultimate track car. Take the E36 to Fontana and it will be slower due to the nature of the track and the advantage the P car has in power. Laguna isn't a place where all the hp in the world will help..Like I posted I have run sub 30's in a shifter kart so I know first hand, do you????
I have never driven a shifter kart. Explain the relevance to the discussion? My point is that your arguement that a vette is a POS because a "600hp TT" will smoke it is a ridiculous arguement. Different cars have all different features that work on all different courses. Every car setup is different, any car can be setup better or worse then another. Any driver can do better or worse then another. Are you getting my drift? I'm trying to avoid this turning into a pissing contest I'd appreciate your help. In case your wondering, I dont own a vette and I dont personally like them much either. But I have respect for them at the track because other people like them and other people have built some very fast ones. I respect their hardwork and achievements. I'm sure there are vettes out there faster then both of us, and probably some great guys who drive them

Last edited by DMS; 11-02-2004 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:17 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Obviously, that's on slicks or R-compound tires, right? What suspension setup are you running?

Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 AM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Batter up....

Old 11-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Bobby G is infamous around these parts
Fresh is back. Tell a friend....

Old 11-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Rex0071% is infamous around these parts
Fresh is back. Tell a friend....

Yep........

Old 11-02-2004, 06:16 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
It is looking like it ...

Old 11-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Hamann7
Obviously, that's on slicks or R-compound tires, right? What suspension setup are you running?
Yes, Michelin Cups and JIC's with GT3 sway bars, stock wheels.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to WIN the Shootout?

Originally posted by DMS
... If you've ever been you'll know the right driver will lap a 600hp tt in a 944 NA
Welcome to my world!

But I am definately more entertaining blowing through the corners into the weeds!